VOGONS

First post, by almeath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am seeking some advice about how to properly configure a Roland SC-55 Mk II to work with DOSBox on my iMac. I have no problem with the software settings - this is purely about the hardware setup.

For background, my current setup is as follows:

1. 2019 iMac – it only has one 3.5mm jack (I do not know if it is dual line-in/line-out) and no separate line-in.
2. Bose speakers with subwoofer – an RCA from each speaker into the subwoofer and stereo 3.5mm interconnect from the subwoofer to the 3.5mm on the iMac.
3. Roland SC-55 Mk II connected to the iMac via a UM-ONE Mk2 USB midi adapter.

My problem is that this setup will only allow me to hear sound from either the Mac (i.e. the digital audio from DOSBox) or the MIDI from the SC-55 (by plugging the 3.5mm interconnect from the Bose subwoofer into either the Mac or the front 3.5mm jack on the SC-55) but not both at the same time.

My goal is to mix the output from the iMac and the SC-55 so that I can get both the digital sound and MIDI to play simultaneously through my Bose speakers with maximum quality, but minimum complexity and cost.

I am not an audiophile, but from reading other posts it sounds like I need a mixer in order to link the sound inputs from the SC-55 and the iMac and then plug the 3.5mm cable from the Bose into the mixer’s audio-out interface.

From looking at different mixers online, I gather that most of them only have dual TS jacks for each input and the output as well. If this is correct, then this seems to be what I need:

1. A small mixer with at least two lines in (dual TS inputs).
2. A dual RCA to dual TS cable to connect the SC-55 to the mixer.
3. A stereo 3.5mm to dual TS cable to connect the Bose speakers to the audio output on the mixer. Since the Bose already comes with the 3.5mm interconnect, perhaps there is an adapter to provide it with dual TS output?
4. A duplicate of (3) to connect the iMac’s audio-out jack to the mixer.

Is this correct?

If so, can someone please recommend the best mixer (preferably less than $150) that will provide good quality low-noise output and be resistant to ground loop interference? I noticed when I plugged my Bose into the SC-55 that the ground loop buzzing noise was very noticeable and only went away when plugging the speakers back into the Mac.

If I am not correct in my findings, can someone please point in me in the right direction? If there are multiple approaches I will be happy to consider them all.

DOSBox SVN for macOS (x86-64) - customized with Munt MT-32, Nuked OPL3, 3dfx Voodoo, Extra RAM, Large HD, and more.
https://github.com/almeath/DOSBox-SVN-64-bit-for-macOS

Reply 1 of 3, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not familiar with Macs but doesn't yours have a Mic input on it at least? If not, you could see about getting some sort of USB sound Line-in/Mic in device? That would allow you to plug the SC-55 into the Line-in/Mic input and also use the internal sound from the iMac?

That is basically how I handle my 3 modules through my PC. I use a simple AV switcher to run the audio out from each module into a separate input on the AV switcher. I then run the audio out only from the AV switcher to the Line-in/Mic in on my sound card in my PC. Doing that, I'm able to hear both my modules and internal sound in both Windows and Dosbox as needed. I use the AV switcher to switch between the modules on the fly.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 3 of 3, by almeath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-03-18, 16:07:

Audio out from your Mac to audio in on the SC-55, speakers to the SC-55, and you are already done.

If you get noise from a ground loop, try connecting the SC-55 to a different outlet.

Thank you both for your advice. This was a classic case of the answer staring me right in the face.

I realized there was a line-out and a microphone port on the external volume controller for my Bose speakers (see attached image).

I just connected the line-out directly into the front of my SC-55 and it works brilliantly. There is no line noise because the speakers/subwoofer remain plugged into my iMac which seems to ground everything nicely. I am now a happy camper. 😀

Attachments

• audio.jpeg
    Filename
    audio.jpeg
    File size
    54.54 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    SC-55 plugged into Bose speakers and iMac
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

DOSBox SVN for macOS (x86-64) - customized with Munt MT-32, Nuked OPL3, 3dfx Voodoo, Extra RAM, Large HD, and more.
https://github.com/almeath/DOSBox-SVN-64-bit-for-macOS