VOGONS

First post, by daikatana_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

Does anybody here have drivers for Aztech Sound Galaxy NX? Can't find any online. I found only drivers for SG NX II and SG NX Pro, but they didn't work. Well, I'm not sure if it's the driver that didn't work or the card itself, it always says, that the card hasn't been found.

Cheers

Attachments

• SGNX.jpg
    Filename
    SGNX.jpg
    File size
    883.98 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Game MIDI soundtracks

Retro games and HW reviews

Reply 1 of 15, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is quite some card, oldest Aztech I've seen...

It uses some weird components (that ST TDA7302 is a 4 (!) channel mixer with over half the pins unutilized), but I suspect that it will work fine as an SB1.x-clone without any drivers. You say "it always says, that the card hasn't been found" who/what says that?

Looking at the pic, the card is at I/O 220, IRQ7 and as there's no jumper for it, I guess hard-coded for DMA 1.

So, use SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T1 and see what happens. Make sure you don't have anything (parallel port...) conflicting at IRQ7 - or set it to IRQ5 if that is free (and update the SET BLASTER appropriately)

Reply 2 of 15, by daikatana_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-04-12, 21:09:

You say "it always says, that the card hasn't been found" who/what says that?

The driver installation program say that.

But I'll try to use SET BLASTER and let you know how it went.

Game MIDI soundtracks

Reply 3 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There used to be some drivers / utilities for that card but I have so far been unsuccessful in finding them.

On sound-drivers.com, the file names were:
sgnx_1.rar
sgnx_2.rar

sgnx.zip
File contents of sgnx.zip were:

Length     Date   Time    Name
-------- ---- ---- ----
197697 04-14-92 16:05 EAR.LZH
579691 04-14-92 15:34 BB.LZH
352641 04-23-92 14:14 GMASTER.LZH
31256 08-31-89 11:38 LHARC.EXE
470146 05-27-92 09:17 MONOLOG.LZH
131943 04-14-92 16:08 NOTE.LZH
4639 07-02-92 09:46 README.DOC
147101 05-27-92 18:48 SONG.LZH
176702 07-02-92 10:15 UTILITY.LZH
171783 07-02-92 16:30 WINDOWS.LZH
-------- -------
2263599 10 files

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So.. without the original software being available, it looks like the mixer will not be able to be used in DOS at least. Not sure about Windows.

There really shouldn't need to be any drivers in DOS, but the mixer would be useful to be able to set.

I was looking through the SDK and iot looks like any of the pre-compiled sample applications should work. OR at least there is detection code for the NX in the mixer code.

This also makes me think that the utility programs for say the NX II or NX Pro may work as well unless they had specific utilities for each model.

Looking at the install disks for the NX II, it looks like the NX II package may work for the NX according to what I am seeing in the Setup.inf file.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What are the specs of the system you are trying it in? Does the power supply have -5v ?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 15, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try running DEMOFM and see if you get any FM music. It doesn't require an IRQ or DMA, it directly accesses the port.
Aztech cards are notorious of checking the exact card the drivers were intended for.

Filename
DEMOFM.zip
File size
14.15 KiB
Downloads
64 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 15, by daikatana_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-04-13, 08:05:

What are the specs of the system you are trying it in? Does the power supply have -5v ?

It works! I tried different system, and it works there. First system I tried it in, was a BX chipset with PIII installed, now I've put it in an old 386 and it works like a charm.

Thanks everyone!

Game MIDI soundtracks

Reply 9 of 15, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
daikatana_ wrote on 2020-04-13, 11:41:

It works! I tried different system, and it works there. First system I tried it in, was a BX chipset with PIII installed, now I've put it in an old 386 and it works like a charm.

Thanks everyone!

Great news. Two reasons it didn't work in that BX system:

- onboard parallel port using IRQ7 almost certainly enabled
- if you have a board with PnP BIOS you need to reserve resources as "Legacy/non-PnP" for old non-PnP stuff like this - which you probably didn't do

There may have also been speed-related problems, but they usually present as distorted/missing sound, not completely failing to do anything - and -5V might have been an issue if your power supply was too new. Once again, full specs are very useful when you're asking for help...

When you say "it works!", what did you test?

This card does:
- AdLib compatible OPL2
- Sound Blaster 1.0 compatible DA
- Covox/Disney Sound Source compatible DA

According to reviews from 1992-ish, it was considered to sound better than the original Sound Blaster at OPL2 and DA, and with decent Covox too. The latter is of course the unique selling point vs other clones. I have a NXPro and it sounds pretty good (although support isn't wide enough to see it as more than a gimmic)

Reply 10 of 15, by daikatana_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-04-13, 12:05:
Great news. Two reasons it didn't work in that BX system: […]
Show full quote
daikatana_ wrote on 2020-04-13, 11:41:

Thanks everyone!

Great news. Two reasons it didn't work in that BX system:

- onboard parallel port using IRQ7 almost certainly enabled
- if you have a board with PnP BIOS you need to reserve resources as "Legacy/non-PnP" for old non-PnP stuff like this - which you probably didn't do

There may have also been speed-related problems, but they usually present as distorted/missing sound, not completely failing to do anything - and -5V might have been an issue if your power supply was too new. Once again, full specs are very useful when you're asking for help...

When you say "it works!", what did you test?

This card does:
- AdLib compatible OPL2
- Sound Blaster 1.0 compatible DA
- Covox/Disney Sound Source compatible DA

According to reviews from 1992-ish, it was considered to sound better than the original Sound Blaster at OPL2 and DA, and with decent Covox too. The latter is of course the unique selling point vs other clones. I have a NXPro and it sounds pretty good (although support isn't wide enough to see it as more than a gimmic)

😀

It couldn't have been those things:

1. I set the card to IRQ5
2. I always disable LPT and COM ports in bios, because I almost never use them
3. I always reserve IRQ 5, 7 and 9 for ISA in BIOS

I tested the card in Gabriel Knight. Both, sound and music set to Sound Blaster.

Game MIDI soundtracks

Reply 11 of 15, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Early Sound Galaxy cards are known to not function properly in fast systems (even on very fast 486 L1 cache WB systems). My Sound Galaxy Basic/Pro 16 (I38-MMSN810) sound card has the same problem.
These earlier models are better suited for older systems like the 386 you tested the card in.

Reply 12 of 15, by daikatana_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote on 2020-04-13, 15:11:

Early Sound Galaxy cards are known to not function properly in fast systems (even on very fast 486 L1 cache WB systems). My Sound Galaxy Basic/Pro 16 (I38-MMSN810) sound card has the same problem.
These earlier models are better suited for older systems like the 386 you tested the card in.

I just wanted to test what you said, pulled out the fastest system I've got, which is Pentium 4 3.4GHz and it's working fine. Tested it in Gabriel Knight, Duke 2, Bioforge and I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. All worked, except Scream, where I couldn't get the sound working.

Game MIDI soundtracks

Reply 13 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very interesting... guessing that P4 system has an ITE 8888 PCI/ISA bridge chip?

Speed sensitive sound cards is something I have been meaning to test on my industrial Pentium IV setups.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2020-04-13, 17:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 15 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Now I definitely want to test all my speed sensitive ISA sound cards in one of those systems.

I bet they are designed to not have the same issues as consumer boards do in order to work with everything.

Was thinking of selling some of my extra PIAGP stuff... but now I am not so sure I want to.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK