VOGONS

First post, by vorvek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been trying to get external MIDI to work with an AWE64 value (CT4520) for hours.

I had a non-PNP SB16 card in this system with an ESS AudioDrive that I was using as a MIDI port, but this configuration gave me some problems in W95, so I moved to a single AWE64 Value. I don't care too much about having a real OPL3 in this computer anyway.

So, the card initializes fine under DOS mode. I use Tyrian2K as a test, since it has FM synthesis, General Midi and AWE32 options. FM and AWE32 work fine, but GM doesn't. The 330H port is recognized by the setup as working (every other port fails) but I get nothing in my external MIDI. I have one of those cables with Joystick passthrough and two MIDI plugs, and I've tried both. On the other end, I have my RME Babyface Pro that I'm using as MIDI in for Midi Player 5. The UI shows some activity in "Midi in" (the number of what I assume are notes keeps increasing, all the time, whether there's a sound playing or not, but only while the retro PC is on) but it produces no sound at all. This was working before.

Do I need to set up some flag somewhere to get the external MIDI to work?

I cannot get it to work either in W95. In multimedia settings I set External MIDI Port as the default MIDI instrument, and in AWE settings I've disabled the MPU401 emulation, but when I play a MIDI file, there's no sound coming out. I've checked the volume, made sure it's not muted, since from what I'm getting it feels exactly as if everything was working but the card had the MIDI output muted.

Last edited by vorvek on 2020-06-04, 15:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 1, by vorvek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll add another thing that might be helpful and makes me think it's not just a matter of the MIDI output being silenced; I'm using MDF to change presets in Midi Player 5 and according to the computer with the AWE64 in it, the 5 bytes are being sent. However, the computer where I have Midi Player 5 set up doesn't seem to be receiving the signal. As I mentioned, this was working with the ESS, so... I don't think the AWE64 is actually sending what it should through the external MIDI port?