VOGONS

First post, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a Sound Blaster 16 CT1730/1740 with what appeared to be a wavetable daughterboard I hadn't seen before. It arrived today, but the daughterboard doesn't appear to be for wavetable.

It is made by Tandy Corp. in 1993 and appears to be fit for the SB16. This is because there are TWO connectors on the daughterboard, one that fits over the wavetable header and another that fits over a six-pin header (OPSL and OPSR) for the internal amp. The connector is for eight pins, however. Also, the PCB seems to be cut to fit around the SB16's capacitors perfectly.

There's also a header on the daughterboard that connects with something else, but I don't have the cable.

Is it possible that this was a part of a Tandy "multimedia" PC? Any help appreciated.

Reply 1 of 7, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

interesting

the add on boards bridges the jumpers to disable the on board amplifier
and it has two "solid state potentiometers" (X9313WS in the bottom right side)... so I assume digital volume control?

Last edited by imi on 2020-06-08, 16:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 7, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

theres two buttons for digital volume control on the front, so makes sense, does it do anything else? ^^

seeing as it disables the onboard amp it would make sense, that it also routes the audio to an external amplifier somewhere.
edit: or it just routes the audio to the two front connectors without amp.

so it's basically an old "front panel audio" board 😁

could adapt it with your own front panel if you want I guess.

Reply 4 of 7, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cloudschatze wrote on 2020-06-08, 16:02:

That particular SB16 came from a Tandy Sensation! II.
Overview of my new Tandy Sensation II 25-1651

Thank you! Doesn't look like I can use the daughterboard without the rest of the Sensation, but cool to have in the collection nonetheless.

Reply 5 of 7, by kitten.may.cry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tandy made WaveBlasters? Mind=blown

Reply 6 of 7, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2020-06-08, 16:06:
theres two buttons for digital volume control on the front, so makes sense, does it do anything else? ^^ […]
Show full quote

theres two buttons for digital volume control on the front, so makes sense, does it do anything else? ^^

seeing as it disables the onboard amp it would make sense, that it also routes the audio to an external amplifier somewhere.
edit: or it just routes the audio to the two front connectors without amp.

so it's basically an old "front panel audio" board 😁

could adapt it with your own front panel if you want I guess.

It would be funny to connect this to a Live or Audigy 5.25" box. Creative's first front panel audio card, courtesy of Tandy.

Reply 7 of 7, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use it, you just have to figure out the pin-out on the connector, looking at the front panel there is two audio connectors and two buttons for volume, just have to figure that out and you could simply make a front panel with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZpXWiUV2FI&t=50s
one of them is a headphone out and the other a mic-in

kitten.may.cry wrote on 2020-06-08, 16:15:

Tandy made WaveBlasters? Mind=blown

that's not what that is ^^