VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What would the cost be for finding one of these cards with the external MIDI box that came with it?

Curious if its even worth looking for if too expensive....

Reply 1 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Smack2k wrote on 2020-09-17, 22:34:

What would the cost be for finding one of these cards with the external MIDI box that came with it?

Curious if its even worth looking for if too expensive....

Gravis ?

Do you mean Roland LAPC-I ? If so, from a practical perspective a Roland CM-32L (fully compatible, AFAIK) is more practical, easier to find and probably cheaper . If you want an intelligent mode capable MPU-401 compatible card, you have at least 2 choices PCMIDI and HardMPU (if currently available). If you can live with a "dumb" MPU-401 compatible sound-card along with the free SoftMPU program, you can save some money .

Reply 2 of 9, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

$$$$$

Reply 3 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The closest thing I could find to an LAPC-I that is actually available on an auction site is an external module, the CM-500 . The CM-500 is a combination of a CM-300 with a CM-64 . The CM-64 is a combination of a CM-32P witha CM-32L . The CM-32L is functionally equivalent to a LAP-I except it is external . The CM-300 is apparently a GS only (no explicit GM mode) version of the SC-55 .

Considering all the stuff the integrated in that thing, I have no idea how you would switch it into CM-32L mode (possibly by SYSEX command, check the manual if curious) .

That said the unit is about 350 US$ plus shipping, so not cheap .

Reply 4 of 9, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

CM500 is actually a CM32L with a CM300 (SC55 daughter board). It does not contain 32P hardware. This is why it lacks the Expansion card port of the real 32P and 64. It has a switch on the bank for selecting mode. It has a CM64 simulation mode which uses the sc55 hardware to replace the 32p. Generally it sounds fine, but you aren't hearing the real deal if you are a purist. Also, due to the hardware design, the sc55 mode is noisier then the stand alone units. It makes a great starter module, but for its price its kind of mixed bag....

Also there are multiple versions. Older units only have GS mark, later units also have GM mark too.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 5 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SuperDeadite wrote on 2020-09-18, 04:09:

CM500 is actually a CM32L with a CM300 (SC55 daughter board). It does not contain 32P hardware. This is why it lacks the Expansion card port of the real 32P and 64. It has a switch on the bank for selecting mode. It has a CM64 simulation mode which uses the sc55 hardware to replace the 32p. Generally it sounds fine, but you aren't hearing the real deal if you are a purist. Also, due to the hardware design, the sc55 mode is noisier then the stand alone units. It makes a great starter module, but for its price its kind of mixed bag....

Also there are multiple versions. Older units only have GS mark, later units also have GM mark too.

Thanks for the correction and extra info . Price notwithstanding, these things are not exactly common (possibly more common on Japanese auction sites). So, If you want one, not only do you get to pay a lot, you also don't get to choose .

Are there so many worthwhile CM-32L compatible titles that it makes sense to prefer that device over a mostly MT-32 compatible device like the RA-50 (combined with a cheap and dumb MPU-401 with SoftMPU) which is, for now, much less expensive ?

Reply 6 of 9, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Depends what you are into. There are western games that use the 32L's extras. However the Japanese went through a MIDI boom in the 90s. X68000 especially has many games that use the 64. There are at least 2 games that even support the pcm expansion cards.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 7 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SuperDeadite wrote on 2020-09-18, 05:36:

Depends what you are into. There are western games that use the 32L's extras. However the Japanese went through a MIDI boom in the 90s. X68000 especially has many games that use the 64. There are at least 2 games that even support the pcm expansion cards.

Good point, I had not thought about Japanese platforms and titles . I'm not into those, yet .

Cheers!

P.S. Nice collection of MIDI synth modules .

Reply 8 of 9, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

LAPC - because you run laps of circles until you find one

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 9 of 9, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-09-18, 06:40:
Good point, I had not thought about Japanese platforms and titles . I'm not into those, yet . […]
Show full quote
SuperDeadite wrote on 2020-09-18, 05:36:

Good point, I had not thought about Japanese platforms and titles . I'm not into those, yet .

Cheers!

P.S. Nice collection of MIDI synth modules .

Thanks. I live in Japan so I pickup what I find for cheap. My CM500 was my first module, got it for only about $20 🤣. Served me well but I upgraded as my machines changed. For modern prices though, a 64 and SC unit would be cheaper and superior, making the 500 kind of a novelty sadly....