VOGONS

First post, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So this is here because I have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz card in my legacy XP machine and have been working away for months making a homemade 5.1 surround system for it, so I can experience the Sensaura in all its greatness. Unfortunately the first time I plugged the speakers in, they started buzzing... loudly. Like really loudly.

No, it's not the speakers themselves. I have connected them to my laptop which has a Creative Audigy 2 ZS Notebook card in it. I put it to 5.1 mode, tinkered a bit and got very nice and clean sound going to all my speakers. This rules out mechanical or electrical problems with the speakers, or the amplifier boards that drive them. The problem must be either the card itself or the PC.

The PC is powered directly from the wall and I'm wondering if the AC cable could be causing the problem except that's 60 Hz and this sound is the 120 Hz variety. Even with the buzz, I was able to hear sound from all 5 speakers although there's no widget to check the channels like creative has so I don't know if the pinout for creative is compatible with the Santa Cruz. I have the ability to swap the channel positions on the pinout though so that's no big deal.

The speakers are powered from a big ass battery so there's no noise coming from that and I don't see how it could cause a ground loop either since batteries have no ripple.

One other thing is that my signal plugs are 4 pole but the card only supports 5.1 so it's likely 3 pole plugs (3 x 2 channels each). I'm not sure if the middle 2 rings are shorting or something.

I'm not sure where to start so I'm just mentioning everything. As I said, the speakers sound really good on my Creative enabled Laptop.

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer

Reply 1 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This makes me think that the ground is not getting connected, on the TRRS connector you want last ring and sleeve to be connected together as GND, since various connectors do the sleeve/ground connector at different points and maybe on the other computer the ground connection happened where the second ring is.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 6, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2020-09-27, 10:58:

This makes me think that the ground is not getting connected, on the TRRS connector you want last ring and sleeve to be connected together as GND, since various connectors do the sleeve/ground connector at different points and maybe on the other computer the ground connection happened where the second ring is.

So you're suggesting I ground the sleeve and final ring? The last ring is unused so I could do that but... Since the Santa is only 5.1, the possibility exists that it has only TRS sockets so if I ground the male jack RS together that may cause a short circuit when plugged into the socket.

If the ground were not getting connected, would that not affect the speakers equally when running off the laptop? That works though.

Reply 3 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A socket only meant to accept TRS connector can have its Sleeve contact be in multiple locations (depending on particular manufacturer) and the whole premise is that it happens to connect where the 2nd Ring is, it is the only thing I can think of being able to cause such a problem. You'll definitely want to connect sleeve and the 2nd ring together, and perhaps it will fix the issue. You can also simply try connecting a wire to computer chassis and ground of the speakers to test this theory, if the problem fixes it most probably is what I have described, if not the plot deepends...

Reply 4 of 6, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It seems you were right (so far anyway). By grounding out the disconnected channel the problem went away. In fact at one point I was picking up the radio and wondering why I was hearing about a local strip club's financial woes even at 0 volume on the pc. So the sound on the Santa is functional now. The question is whether or not the new wiring will work with the creative card which has 4 poles. If not I'll need to make some sort of switch so I can either ground or unground that unused channel.

Reply 5 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Creative card shouldn't have a problem with TRS connector being inserted into its output connector(s). In worst case you can use a low value resistor (say 10 ohms) between the ring and sleeve if things end up not working on the Creative card.

Reply 6 of 6, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's true, it never occurs to me that a pull-up resistor does the same thing without the need for switches.

Now if only I could find a better software interface... I can't even set the damn volume of the individual speakers like the Creative panel lets me do. Arghh.. Thanks anyway.