VOGONS

First post, by Pajeroking

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I am playing Prince of Persia on a Compaq Deskpro 4000 - Pentium MMX with Genius 3DJ sound card using DOS Mode in Win 98.

Music and enemies killed sound effects are from speakers, but steps, gates closing/opening, rubble falling are from the PC itself ( they are called internal speakers, right?).

Is that normal? The 3dj drivers are already installed .

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: So , sounds in Windows are working, but in DOS mode, music is working, and other sound effects are not. In Doom, I tried with all the options listed in the "Choose Sound FX card " menu.
What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by Pajeroking on 2021-04-25, 14:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is not supposed to be this way, but can happen, depending on sound card, CPU speed and game version. Version 1.3+ seems to be more reliable with detecting the digital audio portion of sound cards, but it is not 100%. Read this post and the rest of the discussion...

P.S. Press Ctrl+V in game to display the version of your game.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 3, by Pajeroking

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On Doom, I set FX card as Sound Blaster and set the port to 220 instead of 210.
Now I have full sound via Speakers!
And I also have full sound on Prince of Persia, don't ask me how I did it. Maybe changing the settings from Doom setup .exe did the trick for all games?

thanks anyway.
Going to install Knights and Merchants, can't wait 😜

Reply 3 of 3, by Pajeroking

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Closing this thread, there is another cause for this. Opened another one for better understanding

Sound is not working in 98 Dos mode, needs Windows and then Dos mode restart.