VOGONS

First post, by Action Replay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,

I'm looking to build a system for DOS and Windows 98 SE use that works with the ESS Solo-1 PCI sound card. I've been looking at boards with the VIA KT400 and KM400 chipsets. Can anyone confirm that an ESS Solo card works in DOS with these chipsets? There seems to be no result for this combo on the spreadsheets by ruthan and kamerat.

Any other suggestions for chipsets for Socket A or newer, or Intel boards that work well with the Solo?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 5, by Lazer42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got a socket 7 (or super socket 7; I am not 100% sure which) board using the SIS 530/5595 chipset which works great for DOS games and has an ESS Solo1938s built in. The board is a GIgabyte GA-5smm.

As noted, it has been working great in DOS without any problems or sound quality issues. The only problem I have really encountered is that the WIndows 3.1 drivers for the MPU401 port don't work, at least for me. They lock the system up whenever I try to use them. If you don't care about MPU401 in Windows 3.1, this may not be a problem for you and everything else works in Windows 3.1 FWIW - FM, wave, etc.

The only other thing worth mentioning is that in spite of using multiple tricks/methods that are discussed in different threads on this forum and elsewhere, I haven't been able to set a custom IRQ for the ESS Solo. I don't know how much if any of that is that it's a card built in to the motherboard, or even something about the motherboard firmware or BIOS or something itself, as opposed to it being an issue with the ESS "card" itself. The only reason it has mattered to me is that I got a second card to put in in order to get MPU401 output from Windows 3.1 and I had a slightly hard time configuring the two to work together.

If you're not looking to do any of this stuff, though, the board seems like a good/cost saving option and has been working really quite well for DOS compatibility and sound quality.

Reply 3 of 5, by jtchip

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AIUI the DOS compatibility depends on the south bridge. Wikipedia says the KM400 and KT400 can be paired with the VT8235, VT8237(+) or VT8237R(+). FWIW I've used an ESS Solo-1 (one of the "new" remanufactured cards from China) with a VT8237R+ paired with a CN700 and VIA C7-D, and it works fine in DOS using TDMA.

Reply 5 of 5, by gmipf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an Asrock K7VT6 and it is working with my ESS PCI card, but only tested Star Wars Dark Forces in pure DOS. My chipset is a KT600 and southbridge VIA 8237.

This is my card but with wavetable connector: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/ess-es1938s-solo-1.html