VOGONS

First post, by Deadly_Miho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings everyone,

lately I’ve been making an effort to get my old Pentium P54C (90Mhz) machine (S3Trio64V+ graphics card, Sound Blaster 2.0 Ct1350b (A220 I7 D1 T3)) set up and running with Win 95. In the integrated
DOS mode I wanted to play Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (256 colours VGA) with the Adlib sound parameter set in the command line. While Fate of Atlantis and other games such as DOTT seem to play Adlib sound just fine, Last Crusade (and also Secret of Monkey Island) produces a noise that sounds close to the intended end result, but also really off.
I’ve been messing around with Sound Blaster 2.0 drivers a lot to even get to this point, so I’m pretty sure that those are installed correctly and I also double checked that the Config.sys file and autoexec.bat include the relevant lines as described in the Sound Blaster 2.0 manual. One thing I did notice however is that in the test-sbc app found within the driver package there is no FM synth music output, not entirely sure why that is the case (OPL-2 chip is installed on the card btw). Maybe I’m missing something really obvious, I’m not overly familiar with old Hardware after all, but I was hoping I could get some advice with regards to the sound issue at hand.

Reply 1 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello
I would say you need a sbpro2 and upwards in a pentium 1 system - sb2.0 does have speed issues with such fast systems. In the past I also found sb2.0 to be unreliable in my 233mmx system whereas the CT1600 sbpro2 was fine.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 14, by Deadly_Miho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2021-05-23, 16:21:

Hello
I would say you need a sbpro2 and upwards in a pentium 1 system - sb2.0 does have speed issues with such fast systems. In the past I also found sb2.0 to be unreliable in my 233mmx system whereas the CT1600 sbpro2 was fine.

Now that you mention it, I think I read somewhere that it might help to change certain settings in your BIOS to get around the speed problem, I think the post said something about ISA latency if I recall correctly. Couldn't really find a corresponding setting in my BIOS though, so I didn't dare to mess around with that too much.

Reply 4 of 14, by Deadly_Miho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2021-05-23, 17:26:

maybe killing caches with ICACHE.EXE or similar can "fix" the issue but in reality you need another card that also has a OPL3 preferably (less speed sensitive)

Is that so? Thanks for the tip.
I'll also look into getting a new card, but I would preferably not spend insane amounts of money (some retro PC parts have really gone up in price) on what was supposed to be a short nostalgia trip 😁 . If I can get one for a reasonable price (recommendations are welcome), I might take the plunge.

Reply 5 of 14, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had this issue with sound on my k6-2+ with sb16 Isa non pnp. For my case it is a speed issue and disabling L1 cashe and running at 200 MHz does it for me.

I also run from cd on a drive slowed down to 4x, but I don't think it matters.

Reply 7 of 14, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh sorry btw I thought the issue was with Indiana Jones the fate of atlantis. I have not attempted the last crusade.

Reply 8 of 14, by Deadly_Miho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2021-05-23, 18:24:

An ESS or some YMF71x cheap soundcard would scratch that itch you are feeling 😀

Alright, thanks for the pointer. I shall see what I can find on ebay later. ^^

Reply 9 of 14, by Deadly_Miho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2021-05-23, 19:00:

Oh sorry btw I thought the issue was with Indiana Jones the fate of atlantis. I have not attempted the last crusade.

Oh, that's alright. Your statement reaffirms that it's a speed issue even if you experienced it with a different game and that already helps. 😀

Reply 10 of 14, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just recently did some testing with Indy Last Crusade (and Cycles, another very speed sensitive game to get audio work) using Sound Blaster Pro 1 and 2. Sound Blaster 2.0 should work just like Pro 1 since both have OPL2. Anyway 25 MHz 386 or 486 DLC was fastest possible system for Pro 1 without any tricks to slow the system. Maybe the Indy also worked with 33 and 40 MHz 386DX also but Cycles did not.

Reply 11 of 14, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems like the sound card is not a very good match for the system. It seems to be a collector's item though, so if you are not attached to it you can probably exchange it for something more compatible. Prices look to be roughly the same as an awe64 gold after a quick glance on eBay.

Reply 12 of 14, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deadly_Miho wrote on 2021-05-23, 17:38:

what was supposed to be a short nostalgia trip 😁

Welcome to the party 😁

For what it's worth, I've been testing a CT1350B in my Pentium 166 system in the last couple of weeks. With cache disabled it has behaved fine. But it's not the permanent card for this system.

Reply 13 of 14, by Deadly_Miho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been experimenting with a bunch of different slowdown utilities. Icdice got stuck on the disabling cache screen, Moslo didn't let me add command line arguments (and without them the game just runs with no sound at all), AT-Slow / slowdos seem to have done what they should, but they didn't eliminate the sound problem either. But then ... I found Cachechk/Cachectl ... and it did the trick 😁

Now, if you'll excuse me ... I have to put some stuff in a museum and tell people that they fight like dairy farmers 😉

Reply 14 of 14, by Deadly_Miho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2021-05-24, 05:59:
Deadly_Miho wrote on 2021-05-23, 17:38:

what was supposed to be a short nostalgia trip 😁

Welcome to the party 😁

For what it's worth, I've been testing a CT1350B in my Pentium 166 system in the last couple of weeks. With cache disabled it has behaved fine. But it's not the permanent card for this system.

Yeah, once I get invested in a project like this I can't stop until it works properly. My brother and I recently also worked on getting the old Amstrad CPC464 back into shape. 😀