VOGONS

Reply 20 of 27, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, clever! Of course that makes using the virtual cable deiver poimtless, I will report how well it worked 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 21 of 27, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sune Salminen wrote:

Your audio interface/drivers are responsible for latency, not your MIDI interface.

And this has been my experience with Creative's ASIO drivers (SB Z and Windows 7) versus my ProFire 610.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 22 of 27, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^ And the host OS' USB implementation. Some details in this thread: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-mu … nton-usamo.html

Sune Salminen wrote:

I have an older model Creative EMU X-MIDI 1x1 USB MIDI interface, you can still get them brand new if you look around. I've used it live many times over the years with different laptops and desktop PCs, even a Mac (where it will work with no drivers installed). A few months ago I transferred the whole factory ROM to a Roland D-20 synth via SysEx and that worked fine on the first attempt. If you have problems with transferring large sets of SysEx data, there are transfer utilities out there that will let you adjust the speed. Slowing it down some usually helps.

Besides MIDI interfaces that need SysEx to be transferred with pauses (this can also be due to the module you're transferring to, BTW - some simply don't like fast transfer rates), there also unfortunately are MIDI interfaces that will strip out SysEx. This also happens with some other MIDI routing devices, e.g. there's a specific Roland A880 MIDI patchbay firmware version that can't deal well with it.

Reply 23 of 27, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Relatively recent card with MIDI? Take a look at the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI. Comes with DIN MIDI in/out via a DE9 connector and proprietary cable. I picked up one with cable for EUR 25 not too long ago. Also has SPDIF and RCA in/out instead of crappy 3.5mm plugs. Works out-of-the-box under Linux, but also official Windows driver support up to Win7 and unofficially will run on Win10 with the Win7 drivers regardless.

Reply 24 of 27, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

Relatively recent card with MIDI? Take a look at the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI. Comes with DIN MIDI in/out via a DE9 connector and proprietary cable. I picked up one with cable for EUR 25 not too long ago. Also has SPDIF and RCA in/out instead of crappy 3.5mm plugs. Works out-of-the-box under Linux, but also official Windows driver support up to Win7 and unofficially will run on Win10 with the Win7 drivers regardless.

Sadly, it seems people are rather hanging on to Soundblasters, even if there are better options in the form of semi-pro or professional sound cards (the ESI cards I mentioned are also semi-pro like the Audiophile...). 😐

Reply 25 of 27, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote:

I will look into this card, I've seen it listed fairly reasonably priced in the second hand market; any sound card that isn't by Creative or ASUS seems to get a huge markdown these days.

Reply 26 of 27, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, lots of fanboys out there. So much the better for keeping other stuff nice and cheap for the rest of us. Admittedly this sort of card isn't geared to gaming, but in terms of SNR it's as good as any SB if not better, has better connectors and far, far simpler drivers.

It's the same with networking, those "Killer" NICs are awful with even worse drivers, but they look impressive and command premium prices. "Boring" old Intel chips with great performance, simple & effective drivers and no significant compatbility issues get dumped instead. Fine by me 😉

Reply 27 of 27, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I landed a M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI with breakout cable and driver CD (no box) for $15, not bad I guess? I feel much better about using this than an SB Live! with kX drivers, to be honest!

So it works with these drivers in Windows 10?

EDIT: Great, I got the card shipped only to find out Win7 drivers no longer work in Windows 10 after the 1809 update. Oh well, added to the collection for a 2008 AM2 Windows Vista build some day, I guess.. Back to the Live! plan. 😎