VOGONS

Reply 200 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll be able to do that myself, in a week or two when I get access to my pile of waste soundcards, but if someone else in the meanwhile could help out, um yeah, that would be terrific.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 201 of 3174, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shock__ wrote:

I'll be able to do that myself, in a week or two when I get access to my pile of waste soundcards, but if someone else in the meanwhile could help out, um yeah, that would be terrific.

I might have a source of a lot of ISA sound card brackets. I'm waiting to hear from him if everyone is interested.

Last edited by dogchainx on 2015-03-09, 20:17. Edited 1 time in total.

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 204 of 3174, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Use panel mount 2.5mm jacks and just drill out blank brackets. Like these;

M063494P01WL.jpg

This is how some Chinese manufacturers do it, I have a fer Envy24 cards that were made this way.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 205 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like the donor bracket idea better ... those can usually be obtained for cheap and cause me virtually no additional work.

Drilling out blank brackets would be something every reciever of a card would have to do it own their own.

[Z?]

Reply 207 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The skirt has been lifted (as Dave Jones would say)
bMSPcqs.jpg

Worked out quite well, from what I've seen no pads have been damaged - so the card can still be restored (just looks messy because I didn't clean up the old solder yet).

[Z?]

Reply 209 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Marmes wrote:

will you lift the rest? There might be some more traces below resistors , capacitors and other ics.

I'm quite sure I got every trace connected to the passives.
I might lift the smaller ICs at one point, as I "beeped" them through and am pretty sure I got everything right, but once I get to the schematic errors might occur.

[Z?]

Reply 211 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First major milestone reached: Everything redrawn and the design passes the DRC (design rule check).

If I wanted to be cheap and lazy, one could consider the project finished ... but now it's off to reversing the actual schematic, doing a prototype to confirm everything works and then improve the design/specs.

[Z?]

Reply 213 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks

On another note ... has anyone ever successfully dumped the 1MB ROM of the GUS PnP? Not asking for an image, but I realized there might be a small issue (nothing that can't be solved).

[Z?]

Reply 214 of 3174, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as I know (and judging from zero replies in my GUS related threads) no known attempts have been identified so far. What is the issue you're talking about?

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 215 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pins on the IW78C21M1 are probably scrambled in a unusual pattern not widely supported on EPROM programmers.
Not an issue at all since I'm cool with soldering airwires (to get the chip dumped) ... but one would have to decide/test if the use of standard ROMs would be feasable then.

[Z?]

Reply 216 of 3174, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's where a dead GUS PnP will be helpful - as I mentioned before, Gravis has provided for a standard (tbc!) DIP-packaged ROM having its pins wired up to the IW78C21M1 making possible to revert its pinout.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 217 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you sure about that?
http://cs4153.vk.me/u5039199/95209756/x_e6bd06c7.jpg

Maybe the GUS PnP Pro I'm getting sent might be a bit more conclusive if there's a standard pinout available for the ROM or not.

[Z?]

Reply 218 of 3174, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Holy cow, a GUS PnP prototype with actual DIP socket and some 2-chip ROM add on board installed!
I would love to have that...
If I'm not mistaken, there are two paired ROMs on a converter board. I guess, the solder points for that DIP socket on production boards are standard - why would Gravis invent their own proprietary pinout?..
But that still has to be confirmed.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 219 of 3174, by Marmes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why would they be?
ls373 is used to buffer rams and roms, so getting pinouts for reading is not hard, they are not being scrambled 😀

shock__ wrote:

Pins on the IW78C21M1 are probably scrambled in a unusual pattern not widely supported on EPROM programmers.
Not an issue at all since I'm cool with soldering airwires (to get the chip dumped) ... but one would have to decide/test if the use of standard ROMs would be feasable then.