VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings!

A couple of years back I stated that I was planning on getting a DreamBlaster. Time is relative for me and thus hadn't ordered it yet as it was on the list of things to get to at some point. I am glad, because I ordered the DreamBlaster X16GS which didn't exist at the time. I also ordered an MP32L. I own an MT-32 and an original Sound Canvas for use with my MPU-IPC-T. Recently, I read that there are games which utilize different versions of the MT-32 and variants, and that some games were made with the SC Mk II in mind and players miss out on some stuff if they have an original Sound Canvas.

The MP32L solves the MT-32 variants problem. For example, my MT-32 is the "old" version, and I think Ultima VII (one of my favorite games of all time) was designed for use with the "new" version and that I may have been missing out or hearing things wrong with mine. However, I am unsure about the SC problem. Does anyone know how the DreamBlaster X16GS compares to the Sound Canvas Mk II? Am I covered when playing games designed for the Mk II? I will be attaching it to my AWE32 CT2760 with maxed out RAM so that my impending K6-III+ system will be fully covered, musically speaking. I would like to move my external units to another project and free up some desk space for a bigger CD storage box for my caseless MS-DOS games (my current box can store only 20 discs and I found one that stores 80, and I have a DreamWeb disc on the way) and hopefully not need them at all for this system.

In addition to these questions, I am also open to suggestions for sound fonts for the DreamBlaster X16GS and for my maxed-out-RAM AWE32, and for anything else I should know about these things and the MP32L. I never used that function before.

Many thanks!

Scythifuge

Reply 1 of 7, by zaphod77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the dreamblaster x16gs is missing the sc-55mkII specific instruments, according to the manual.

Specifically, many of the ones on variation bank 1.

which is strange, because it supports the insertion effects that the sc88 pro has. dunno if it supports tuning of drum sounds like the real sound canvas does.

Reply 2 of 7, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zaphod77 wrote on 2024-04-25, 20:15:

the dreamblaster x16gs is missing the sc-55mkII specific instruments, according to the manual.

which is strange, because it supports the insertion effects that the sc88 pro has. dunno if it supports tuning of drum sounds like the real sound canvas does.

Damn...

Well, I have to double check because the way I function is weird and time is relative, so I have hundreds of tabs open and multiple projects I am working on at once at all times, but I believe I came across a site with a soundfont based off of the MK II which was studied, tested, and verified by more than one person to be an exact replica of the MK II, so it may be possible to play games as they should sound. My goal is to get every game I play or want to play to sound as the developers intended. I may say screw it and try to buy a MK II, or even a CM-500. However, each day I don't buy these things, the prices rise.

I have yet to come across a cool soundfont for the AWE32 and my maxed out RAM, so I am considering an Orpheus II if another batch is made so that I can get GUS support and allow me to use the MPU-IPC-T in another system. Trying to cover every base is stressful and expensive!

At any rate, I am glad to have purchased these items, if they ever arrive (there is a strike at bpost and my order hasn't shipped for days.) MT-32 will be completely covered, and with the soundfont for the X16GS being licensed and with the ability run different ones, it going to be a lot of fun, I think. I am considering selling my Wave Blaster, but part of me wants to keep it.

Reply 3 of 7, by orcish75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you following this thread? I haven't seen any posts by you, so perhaps you've missed it.

[RELEASE] Nuked-SC55, low-level Roland SC-55 series emulator announcement

Emulates the SC-55 pretty much perfectly, better than the SCVA and far better than any soundfont. It's still early days but a few members are contributing to it, it's gonna be the de-facto SC-55 emulator soon enough. There's even preliminary JV-880 support.

Reply 4 of 7, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zaphod77 wrote on 2024-04-25, 20:15:

Are you sure? According to documentation the insertion effect engine is not SC88 Pro compatible at all. They can be programmed by Dream specific NRPNs and according to the documentation the SC-88Pro insertion effect specific SysEx messages are not supported at all.
http://serdaco.com/downloads/X16/X16_Document … IDI%20Specs.pdf

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 5 of 7, by zaphod77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

wow. that's pretty lame. i was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, because the sc88pro is the one with the insertion effects.

regardless, sound canvas va is the best 100% legal substitute if bought, and nuked-sc55 is the best actual substitute. if you want to playback game midis from back in the day, you want nuked sc-55, with both the sc-55 and the sc55mkII roms. some games work better on one or the other, because the mkII dropped capital tone fallback, and actually shuts off gs on a gm reset,while the earlier one did have capital tone fallback, and treated gm reset as gs reset. if you want to playback gs mdi files in general, sound canvas VA has a much higher polyphony limit.

Reply 6 of 7, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Nuked-sc55 project looks awesome! I will experiment with it, eventually. However, the DreamBlaster and MP32L are going to be used in a Super Socket 7 system with an AWE32 and a K6-2+ modded into a K6-III+ running at 600Mhz. I'll try the MKII soundfont I came across. Though the day will come when all of the retro parts are dead and cannot be replaced, and emulation will be the only way. I have SC VA, buty buy the time I bought it, Roland changed it so that you have to be connected to their crappy app on the internet in order to use it. Thank goodness for the Nuked SC project and Munt, and for DOSBox Staging and 86Box.

Reply 7 of 7, by zaphod77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

what version do you have of va? i have a 1.1.6 that doesn't require cloud. i'm curious what the latest version is. it installs the main files to \Program Files\ROland Vs\, and the stub dll in C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins\Roland VS.

it's a 64 bit version, since it didn't install into program fles (86)