VOGONS

First post, by Dennis1959

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys I hope this is the right spot to ask.

I had this card in my computer stuff, and i got it working with Dos drivers in win 3.11, plays music CDs great, it works in windows XP no problem, I have made 6 different sound blaster live CDs, the last one sound blaster live CT4780 retail. All of the CDs have drivers for win 95/98, ME, 2000, my XP found its own drives which is fine by me, but I can't find any for windows vista, I just did a brand-new install of Vista ultimate and no sound.

I also have win 7 ultimate and was considering a fourth boot, Win 7, Vista, XP, Dos 6.22/win 3.11 but if i cannot find drivers for Vista I doubt i would find them for windows 7. in my reading I saw where it was suggested to make sure you drivers were correct for Vista before installing as installing multiple sets of drivers is problematic for the older OSs

I saw something about audigy_2_zs_drivers_for_sound_blaster_live, and audigy_2_zs_drivers_for_sound_blaster_live_2.1

That I have downloaded, not knowing if they will work.

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 3, by DudeFace

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

tell me more about the win 3.1 drivers, as far as i've heard theres no SB live drivers for 3.1, or most pci sound cards in general, i was under the impression that only ISA sound cards would work on 3.1, as for vista i forget which drivers i used, i have a CT4620 and a CT4760 i think i may have used the XP drivers tho i'm not certain as its been a while, there are other drivers called KX Audio drivers, these may have been the ones i used for vista i forget, theres a version for windows 7 (this may be the one that works on vista), and a different version for win10, the win10 version also works on windows 11, there are a number of versions of this driver at least a few are broken i think its the ones with the chinese installer so avoid them.

in the screenshot are the drivers i have the ones you want are the ones labled WIN7 and WIN10 and also the hotfix 3552/3553, ignore the others they maybe the bugged broken versions. ive outlined the filenames so they are easier to source, i dont know what the file size limit is so dont know if i can attach them to this post,
once you've installed the driver you wont have any sound coming out, i've put the instructions in the screenshot

Reply 2 of 3, by Dennis1959

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I found this in my searching

Readme

These are pure DOS drivers for the Creative Sound Blaster Live! cards.
They should work with most Live! cards, but I've tested them with SB0060, SB0100, CT4780 and CT4830.

They will work with a pure MS-DOS 6.22, 7.0 or 7.1 installation.

They will also work in MS-DOS mode of Windows 9x.

Run LIVESET.BAT once. This will make the card independent of Windows and program its resources.
You can change the resources, by editing CTSYN.INI.

Run LIVEINIT.BAT after every boot to initialize the card. Just call it from AUTOEXEC.BAT if you like.

Run SBEMIXER.EXE to set the mixer levels.

I've also replaced the default 2MB Sound Font with the nicer 8MB one.
This will delay the driver initialization a bit, so it can take like 10 seconds or so.

They should work with most, but I've tested them with SB0060, SB0100, CT4780 and CT4830.

The file I downloaded is a rar file that is named livedos 9.67 mb.

I had planned to use an Ensonic/Sound blaster card audiopci that also has dos drivers, but when i found my live card and found dos drivers for it I used it instead

I have the Ensonic card and the OEM driver disk.

Like I said it works great in win 3.11 and XP, but not in Vista and if not in Vista I am afraid it won't work in windows 7 either.

I have also run into a problem; I installed dos 7.1 on a HDD and it errors out with the loading of the EMM386 driver. error 5 i believe, when i Rem'd the emm386 line in the config.sys file the system loaded but not the sound blaster files, saying they needed emm386to be able to load.

I am going to copy my windows 3.11/Dos 6.22 folders and the config.sys and autoexec.bat, and see if that changes things, I know I have to run 3xstart to fix the IO.sys on the dos 7.1 drive before i try to run win 3.11, if it works ill be a happy camper.