Reply 380 of 414, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fillosaurus wrote on 2024-01-12, 08:18:
darry wrote on 2023-12-21, 17:36:
Pino wrote on 2023-12-21, 14:13:
Finally found a CMI8330 for a decent price and I created the perfect "Sound Blaster AWE" :-) […]
Show full quote

Finally found a CMI8330 for a decent price and I created the perfect "Sound Blaster AWE" 😀

Everything I tried worked perfectly, noise from this AV310 card is acceptable and definitely better than any SB16 I own.

I can initialize both cards with Unisound easily with no drivers required.

To my ears the FM synth is a 1:1 OPL3 clone.

Goldfinch with a CMI8330 ?

I am in "AWE" 😉

To my ears no CMI based card sound right.

Your ears need cleaning. CMI 8330 has an integrated 100% accurate OPL3 core.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 381 of 414, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fillosaurus wrote on 2024-01-12, 08:27:

Have one to sell, how much are you willing to pay for it? 😜

0.3eur 🤣
I have more than enough left 😉

jkZP4E7.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 382 of 414, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote on 2024-01-13, 09:00:
0.3eur LOL I have more than enough left ;) […]
Show full quote
fillosaurus wrote on 2024-01-12, 08:27:

Have one to sell, how much are you willing to pay for it? 😜

0.3eur 🤣
I have more than enough left 😉

jkZP4E7.jpg

Are you designing something around that chip keropi? Hmm? 😁

Reply 383 of 414, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2024-01-13, 12:10:

nothing new, megacard for the megapc uses it

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 384 of 414, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote on 2024-01-13, 13:16:
appiah4 wrote on 2024-01-13, 12:10:

nothing new, megacard for the megapc uses it

Ok, for a moment I thought MK100 was on the way 🤣

Reply 385 of 414, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2024-01-13, 18:28:

there is KiloCard but not for sale 😜

LLQxv3Bl.jpg

I think I showed this before, maybe in this very same thread

Reply 386 of 414, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote on 2024-01-13, 19:18:
there is KiloCard but not for sale :P […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote on 2024-01-13, 18:28:

there is KiloCard but not for sale 😜

LLQxv3Bl.jpg

I think I showed this before, maybe in this very same thread

I either missed or forgot this, it is an als100 & 100mbit nic combo? Nice!

Reply 387 of 414, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Speaking of ALS100 and on the PCI front, the ALS4000 is an impressively ISA legacy compatible (at least on DDMA capable chipsets) chip with, AFAICT, only mediocre (the 3 that I have found are all quite noisy) implementations.

A high quality, well designed board might change that (unless the chip itself is inherently noisy).

Reply 388 of 414, by Vogon Will

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

one crystalyzer card, sb16 clone.

Attachments

Reply 389 of 414, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

that "crystalizer" card is not SB16 compatible
it's main chip is the Opti MAD16 82C928 that is kinda on the horrible category when it comes to compatibility.
It is just another SBPRO and WSS compatible chip, like the majority of 3rd party chips.

Reply 390 of 414, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote on 2024-01-14, 11:43:

that "crystalizer" card is not SB16 compatible
it's main chip is the Opti MAD16 82C928 that is kinda on the horrible category when it comes to compatibility.
It is just another SBPRO and WSS compatible chip, like the majority of 3rd party chips.

82C929 is actually good IME but the 928 is.. yeah 😀

Reply 391 of 414, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The purest sound on earth, that's a statement. And to claim that the MAD16 has "built in voice recognition capability" is quite hyperbolic, isn't it? I mean it is as capable as any other soundcard with voice recognition software, and I doubt there's any hardware implementation especially for this, but correct me if I'm wrong:) Anyway, the card has a yamaha 262 opl3 (that would be worth mentioned) and should deliver very nice fm music.

Reply 392 of 414, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pc-sound-legacy wrote on 2024-01-19, 20:24:

The purest sound on earth, that's a statement. And to claim that the MAD16 has "built in voice recognition capability" is quite hyperbolic, isn't it? I mean it is as capable as any other soundcard with voice recognition software, and I doubt there's any hardware implementation especially for this, but correct me if I'm wrong:) Anyway, the card has a yamaha 262 opl3 (that would be worth mentioned) and should deliver very nice fm music.

Probably thats just the Microphone input 😁

I had "IBM Voice Type Simply speaking" back in the day. That worked on any soundcard.
It didnt work well... but it worked 😁

You had to train it for a very long time to get mediocre voice recognition 😁

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 393 of 414, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DerBaum wrote on 2024-01-19, 20:33:
Probably thats just the Microphone input :D […]
Show full quote
pc-sound-legacy wrote on 2024-01-19, 20:24:

Probably thats just the Microphone input 😁

I had "IBM Voice Type Simply speaking" back in the day. That worked on any soundcard.
It didnt work well... but it worked 😁

You had to train it for a very long time to get mediocre voice recognition 😁

I remember IBM's Voice Recognition software for OS/2 Warp being surprisingly good for its time..

Reply 394 of 414, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rawit wrote on 2021-07-05, 09:21:
jasa1063 wrote on 2021-05-13, 02:15:

The Sound Blaster 16 support built into the Cyrix MediaGX SOC is actually pretty good. It even initializes with UNISOUND just fine. OPL3 emulation is pretty good too as shown in this YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTv-ur2MR4g

The Cyrix solution has pops and clicks in games like Warcraft at the start of each sample that is being played. It does Sound Blaster Pro as well but stereo is reversed in that case. OPL3 is pretty bad, it sounds like emulation with a low samplerate (which probably is the case). It does work with Creative drivers and works as a Sound Blaster 16 in all the software I tried except for SEA 1.3.

Does anyone know if the built-in SB16 clone on the MediaGX conforms to MPU-401? I was thinking of using a Chil 'n Phil with S2 on my setup.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 395 of 414, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The ECS board I had did have a MPU port setting in the BIOS and a joystick port. I think it should work, at least when I installed Creative drivers for the MediaGX it passed all the tests. My Advantech doesn't have a joystick port and I think the MPU setting isn't available in the BIOS as well.

YouTube

Reply 396 of 414, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Every Creative SB card I've used with the Chil 'n Phil has had some issues in Duke3D, e.g. stuttering frames during game play, as if it is a streaming video and needs to re-buffer. Do you think the SB clone on the MediaGX brought with them some Creative bugs?

EDIT: I pulled out my MediaGX system, then grabbed a Chil 'n Phil from another system, but unfortunately, all my Chil 'n Phil's have a 90 degree custom rotation added to them and my MediaGX system has part of the chassis in the way. Thus, I cannot insert the Chil 'n Phil. I guess I need to order another one so I can have one that isn't rotated.

Anyone else able to test a MediaGX with a Chil 'n Phil or other MPU-401 device in Duke3D?

Reply 397 of 414, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was able to squeeze in my 90-degree Chil 'n Phil adaptor to my mini-ATX case:

ECS_ChilnPhil.JPG
Filename
ECS_ChilnPhil.JPG
File size
169.77 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The BIOS settings are such that:

ECS_BIOS_SB16_settings.JPG
Filename
ECS_BIOS_SB16_settings.JPG
File size
243.48 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And running unisound as:

unisound_CyrixMediaGX_loaded.JPG
Filename
unisound_CyrixMediaGX_loaded.JPG
File size
174.47 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Unfortunately, when I select General Midi as the Music Card in Duke3D Setup, with A330, no sound is emitted. I ensured that the line-in is not muted, as evident on the unisound screenshot. As a secondary measure, I connected headphones directly to the Chil 'n Phil, but still no sound. I also don't get any errors in Duke3D Setup. Thus, not sure what is going on with the MediaGX's MPU-401 with the Chil 'n Phil.

Has anyone else tested this?

I did test the SB16 clone sound with Duke3D and found the midi playback to be better than a lot of other basic sound cards. Just not good enough to to use without a working MPU-401 w/an S2 card. Right now, I use the system with an AWE64Gold, but must boot into Windows to get decent midi music (via sound font banks). I am trying to get away from that path.

Reply 399 of 414, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I haven't tried SoftMPU. I've never needed it before, but the MediaGX might be a good candidate to start trying new things like that. I'll pick this up when I get another Chil 'n Phil to experiment with. In the meantime, I'm hoping to see my issue duplicated by another user.