VOGONS

SB PCI 512

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I received a big box of parts for a friend at work. Among other useful items was a PCI 512. I have it installed and running on my win98 box, but of course I'm lacking the bundled software that came with the card. I couldn't find anything about download locations from the creative site. Is there a place to download the original software that came with these cards?

Reply 3 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried looking for it by googling: soundblaster 512 pci cd iso but it might not be a good enough search string yet. Best would be ofcourse if someone here could upload the image file somewhere (so theres no virusses hidden in the iso)

Reply 4 of 15, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good point.

So, two questions:

1) Does anyone have the original CD for the SB PCI 512 who would also be willing to upload an iso of said disc somewhere?

2) Would anyone be willing in creating an archive of these original installers? I'd be willing to put up the hosting space.

Reply 5 of 15, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The card you have is a value version of the SoundBlaster Live, as far as I can see it has the same EMU10K1 chip. If you want you can use the unofficial driver from the KX project. just google KX project.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 6 of 15, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's the thing, I *have* the official driver from the creative site, and it's working fine. That's not the issue. What I want is the bundled software that came with the card. The friend I got it from HAD the disc but it was scratched and cracked beyond hope of repair. I'm hoping someone can make an image of the original disc, or even from a generic Live! family disc if the software works with the whole family and not specific to a card even.

Reply 10 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:
http://thumbnails17.imagebam.com/5102/49245751011082.gif Creative Live!Ware 3.0 CD ISO+update.7z […]
Show full quote

49245751011082.gif
Creative Live!Ware 3.0 CD ISO+update.7z

This will only install on the original SBLive! or Live! Value. Doesn't detect 5.1 edition Live! cards. It's for Win9x.

I uploaded this a while back. It's about authentic as you can get. I paid Creative $20 for that CD back in 1999. Love those guys. 😖

It has more than just drivers. It has some goofy apps, like 3D Lava Music Player and more. Very retro and wondrous.

Liveware 3 was also available as a split archive from them but they took out everything but the drivers.

Reply 12 of 15, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would love either or both actually.

Swaaye, turns out I already had the disc you posted. That one came with my non-gold ct-4760 Live! card. The apps are more than useless these days, but at least it's the official one.

Reply 14 of 15, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, to bump my own old thread, of the two cards I have, the CT-4790 and 4760, which has better DOS support?

I know they are supposed to be the same card pretty much, but I'd like to know about any specific differences before I swap one for the other.

Reply 15 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Apparently DOS Support for these Creative cards depend on the mainboard / BIOS / chipset you are using. The work fine with older boards, but new AMD and Nvidia chipset's will give you issues.

IMO PCI Soundcards should be used for W98/XP and for DOS stick to ISA Soundcards or DOSBox.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel