Sound Card Recordings

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 265, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

Hey RG100 why are they mono and only 80kbps OGG???

Oh no, I just realised something. When I was making the recordings in Audacity, I wondered why the left channel was active, but the right channel was dead/silent. It seems that the GUS line out jack was providing sound in mono only. Does anyone know a bit more about the GUS, and its line out capabilities? I could use the speaker port on the GUS, if the line out is not able to output in stereo...

Reply 23 of 265, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The GUS is stereo for sure. Wiggle the jack, old soundcards can be a bit flakey...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 24 of 265, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh drat. The GUS isn't the problem. I tried making a recording from my walkman. I connected the audio cable to its headphone port, and connected the other end to the X-Fi soundcard. If I make a recording, it's always in mono. Perhaps the cable is defective?

Reply 27 of 265, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

try another cable first. 😀 Every now and then I run into a minijack cable that doesn't work very well. Bad connectors probably.

Hehe, I've bought 2 now, both for my first retro soundcard recording experiments. I'm not having much luck with these tests. I might look around some stores in town rather than use ebay, and see if I can get a third cable to get these tests up and running successfully... 😀

Reply 28 of 265, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you plugging into the recording sound card's mic input instead of its line-in input? The mic inputs on sound cards are almost always mono-only and often have preamps that make them bad for recording anything but microphone inputs.

Almost all sound cards have both a mic and line-in input.

Also, make sure your recording software is set to record stereo.

Reply 29 of 265, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hot damn! The ES1869 sounds EXACTLY like my OPTi 929A! I found a few of ES1869 sound cards sitting inside a bin at a family friend's pawn shop. I'd better go snag one of those before they're taken! Considering I have an ESS Maestro-2, whose FM Synthesis leaves a little to be desired, it's quite a pleasant surprise to hear the ESS AudioDrive ES1869's FM Synthesis sound just like the real YMF262 on my OPTi 929A.

Also, for some reason, whenever I listen to Doom E1M1 played on the SoundBlaster AWE32, it reminds me of the music in the Super NES port. To my ears, the instruments sound quite similar at times.

Reply 30 of 265, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not just the 1869. It's the ESFM synth and it's in a lot of their chips including the PCI Solo1.

Yeah the AWE32 does have a SNES-like sound to some of its instruments. It reminded me of SNES too.

Reply 31 of 265, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Solo-1 has ESFM??? Holy crap, I have that sound chip integrated on a motherboard that was in an IBM Aptiva computer I have lying around! Couldn't get that motherboard to work, but I will most certainly give the ESFM a test myself once I fix that board(I believe I was trying to use a faulty CPU to test the motherboard, though). OFF TOPIC: how long can a Slot 1 Pentium III with only a huge heatsink on it stay without a fan before it dies?

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 33 of 265, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well this sucks. The motherboard is dead. Crap. Say, would it be possible to remove the Solo-1 from that motherboard and rebuild the circuitry around the chip as shown in the diagram on page 2 of the PDF?

Now, may I make a request? Record Star Wars X-Wing on the SoundBlaster AWE32 using the General MIDI and AWE32 MIDI sound options for the music.

Reply 34 of 265, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ace wrote:

Well this sucks. The motherboard is dead. Crap. Say, would it be possible to remove the Solo-1 from that motherboard and rebuild the circuitry around the chip as shown in the diagram on page 2 of the PDF?

No, but look at pages 72-75.

Reply 35 of 265, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I've been looking at that for a while. The big problem is trying to solder wires on that damn chip. Surface-mounted chips hate me; it is GUARANTEED that some pins will be shorted on the chip while I solder on it. I think I'll spare myself the trouble and pick up one of the ESS AudioDrive ISA sound cards at that pawn shop.

Now, I've seen both the AudioDrive ES1869 and at least two AudioDrive ES1868s. Are there any differences between those sound cards?

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 37 of 265, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ES1869 has 3D spatialization whereas ES1868 does not. Configurable in the DOS driver. I haven't tried it myself. I haven't even bothered to get the DOS driver.

It might be a little checkbox in the Windows 9x volume control too. Didn't look. Win9x has drivers for these cards. So easy to get up and running!

Attachments

• ess_isa-chips.png
    Filename
    ess_isa-chips.png
    File size
    15.45 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    cool chart from their website in the archive
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 38 of 265, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HunterZ wrote:

Are you plugging into the recording sound card's mic input instead of its line-in input? The mic inputs on sound cards are almost always mono-only and often have preamps that make them bad for recording anything but microphone inputs.

Almost all sound cards have both a mic and line-in input.

Also, make sure your recording software is set to record stereo.

That's a good point. I will double check the X-Fi's "versa jack" configuration, to make sure that it's set to record using line-in input, and not mic input. I'll do this as soon as I can...