VOGONS

What is the best General MIDI synth for DOS games?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 130, by wocko1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I might go for the SC-55mkII as they're not that expensive atm plus the fact it's a proper GM/GS synth, probably could use the Audigy2ZS for AWE32 games via a AWE32 soundfont. My machine has no ISA slots plus AWE32s are quite hard to find.

@HunterZ I'm just wondering, I've done a lot of reading up on the SC-88 on the net, and I'm kind of curious that if the SC-88 has SC-55 compatibility mode, how come so many people still prefer the SC-55mkII? It it just because the SC-88 is a bit pricey? Not to mention some people think the SC-55mkII sounds better

Reply 21 of 130, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wocko1 wrote:

@HunterZ I'm just wondering, I've done a lot of reading up on the SC-88 on the net, and I'm kind of curious that if the SC-88 has SC-55 compatibility mode, how come so many people still prefer the SC-55mkII? It it just because the SC-88 is a bit pricey? Not to mention some people think the SC-55mkII sounds better

Not sure. I've listened to my SC-88 in SC-55 mode side-by-side with SC-55 recordings and they sound identical, so I'm satisfied that I've got full SC-55 compatibility. Other people have claimed that they were able to detect minor differences, but nothing bad enough to worry about. The synths are really similar under the hood: from what I can tell the SC-88 is really just an incremental change to the SC-55MkII, which in turn is an incremental change to the SC-55, with the main differences being that more instruments and polyphony were added with each new model.

It's true that the SC-88 in native SC-88 mode sounds a bit different than it does in SC-55 mode, and games can sound better or worse in the native SC-88 mode as a result (usually depending on how finely tuned they are for the SC-55 versus generic General MIDI). For example, I prefer X-Wing in SC-55 mode and Descent in SC-88 mode.

As for price, I definitely would recommend an SC-55MkII for DOS games if it's significantly cheaper than an SC-88 series. If they're in the same price range, though, an SC-88 series is probably better because you get more options/modes/polyphony to play with while still being able to fall back on really good SC-55 compatibility modes. I personally enjoy the versatility; because I've found that some games sound better in one mode or the other, it's like having two synths in one.

Reply 25 of 130, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The SC-55MKII has midi-in at the front and read...

Reason I recommend Roland Sound Canvas modules is because that's what most game music designers back in the day used. When you listened to a few General Midi modules and wavetable boards you will be surprised to notice just how different they sound.

A lot has to do with balance and although General Midi was a standard in terms of what instruments should be used, this wasn't really sufficient to ensure consistency across various General Midi implementations.

So that's why I would get a Roland device first and then you can branch out from there and experiment and see if you find a module that sounds better for particular games.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 26 of 130, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I read this on usenet about the SC-55:

"... you also want a FIRST generation SC-55, not a second generation unit which is called the SC-55mkII. The mkII had a feature removed that a few games rely on. The mkII does have a few extra features but I don't think any game takes advantage of those particular features."

Reply 28 of 130, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retro games 100 wrote:

I read this on usenet about the SC-55:

"... you also want a FIRST generation SC-55, not a second generation unit which is called the SC-55mkII. The mkII had a feature removed that a few games rely on. The mkII does have a few extra features but I don't think any game takes advantage of those particular features."

You are referring to capital tone fallback. This can be an issue for some games indeed.
Also, although the mk2 has 28 voice polyphony vs. 24 on the first generation, Settlers II in-game music will have annoying note drops on the MK2 while it isn't so prone on the first generation for some reason.

For gaming, a first generation is indeed better than an mk2.

MIDI comparison website: << Wavetable.nl >>
(Always) looking for: Any Wavetable daughterboard, MIDI Module (GM/GS/XG)

Reply 29 of 130, by wocko1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It sounds like a similar issue to the MT-32. There are different versions of the MT-32: MT-32 1G, MT-32 2G, MT-100, CM-32L, LAPC-I, CM-64 and even the CM-500 and every damn game behaves differently. 1G MT-32s worked flawlessly in old Sierra games, but were prone to buffer overflow errors and firmware bugs. 2G MT-32s and the MT-100 fixed the bugs and overflow problems, but some Sierra games exploited some glitches in the 1G MT-32 to produce sounds, which don't work on the MT-100 or the 2G MT-32. The CM series were 2G MT-32s with extra sounds, which some Lucasarts games used. And the LAPC-I is just an ISA version of a CM-32L. If I were to get every MT-32 game working with pristine sound, I would have to buy THREE synths!!!!

I only got a MT-100 because CM-32Ls are rarer than rocking horse poo, plus first gen MT-32s are nothing but trouble. Even MT-100s are quite rare.

I only want a good General MIDI synth which is a good all-rounder.

Reply 30 of 130, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No such thing as an all rounder in the Retro world... There will always be the odd game that doesn't behave on whatever you have. But the majority will...

I just did it POKEMON style: "gotta catch em all" 🤣

Only way I can test everything and be armed / ready for every scenario...

dsc01822hl.jpg

PS: If you like Sierra games and Wing Commander you MUST have a MT-32 (old). I discovered my first game a while ago which sounded different, it was The Heart of China...

Wing Commander clips during the fireworks scene on newer units. The older units volume dial works differently on the first generation...

Reply 33 of 130, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

Edit: Visually, what's the difference between a 1G MT-32, and a 2G MT-32?

HAHA well the CM-500 had to take it for the "money shot" 🤣

Easiest way is to look for the headphone socket in the rear. If there is no such socket it's a first generation unit.

If there is a socket or if you have a MT-100 it's a second generation unit.

Alternatively you can check the ROM version. MT-32 (old) is up to 1.07 and the newer ones go higher.

You can check the ROM version by holding down 4+RHYTHM+MASTER VOLUME while turning the unit on.

keropi wrote:

@Mau1wurf1977:
all you will ever need for your roland gaming needs is that CM32-L ΙΜΗΟ 😁

That and a MT-32 (Old) for Sierra games and Wing Commander. That's why I got two CM 64s, as a backup in case the CM-32L dies or something like that. CM-64s basically has 2 PCBs inside, a CM-32L board and CM-32P).

Now I saw some CM-32Ps up for auction, but not much point for DOS games...

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977 on 2010-11-30, 08:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 35 of 130, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wocko1 wrote:

@Mau1wurf1977: I wish I can buy one of your CM-64s and one of your MT-32s if you have more than one 1G. BTW I live in Australia too, although I'm on the east coast (Newcastle, NSW)

Sorry not selling mate...

I'm actually looking for another CM-32L, but not much luck so far...

Reply 36 of 130, by wocko1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Mau1wurf1977: Bugger! I kinda guessed, but as I said, I've never came across a CM-32L or a CM-64 on ebay ever. Gawd, the CM-500 would be IDEAL for a DOS gamer, being an SC-55 and a CM-32L hybrid.

BTW, is any one of your MT-32s a 2G one, I guess you have the MT-100 if that one packs it in.

Reply 37 of 130, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

2 units are 1G, 1 unit is 2G and then there is the MT-100.

The CM-500 is very desirable in auctions. Fetching ~ US$ 400 usually. However it's a further revision of the MT-32 compatible part and has a "faster vibrato bug".

Also units with 2 PCBs indide (CM-64 and CM-500) are slightly noisier than the CM-32L with a single PCB...

Reply 38 of 130, by wocko1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I guess I'd probably stick with the MT-100 and the Audigy 2 ZS and get an SC-55mkII as per the original plan, it might end up being quite expensive collecting every last revision just to get perfect sound. But as I said King's Quest V and Space Quest III and IV sound absolutely amazing with the MT-100 anyway, and I guess the most incompatible sounds aren't really noticable.

My plan for my DOS gaming machine
* Intel Pentium D 820 2.8GHz
* 1GB DDR RAM
* 250GB SATA HD
* XP Pro 32-bit
* 17" CRT monitor
* Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS (AWE32 Wavetable Soundfont for AWE32 games)
* Roland MT-100 (for MT-32 optimised games)
* Roland SC-55mkII (for GM/GS optimised games)

How's that for you?

Last edited by wocko1 on 2010-11-30, 09:16. Edited 1 time in total.