VOGONS

Reply 320 of 330, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-04-25, 16:33:

That's interesting. My MU50 works fine without a battery.

Interesting indeed as I thought they'd be pretty much the same inside.

This is the kind of battery I found in my MU80's, not exactly those obviously but similar style:

2Pcs-3V-CR1220-Soldered-Battery-With-2-Pins-For-Main-Board-Remote-Control-Toy.jpg

My MU80 had been running for years with no issue when suddenly it's started giving me a "battery low!" warning. So I opened it, discovered the soldered battery, removed it all. The unit wouldn't turn on at all.
So I soldered back a battery holder, put a fresh battery in there, and it was working again, so my assumption was that the circuit required continuity. If the MU50 also uses a similar soldered battery, that's surprising if it's different?

Reply 322 of 330, by eightbit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-04-25, 16:33:

That's interesting. My MU50 works fine without a battery.

That is interesting. Maybe I should wait for confirmation from someone with a TG300 specifically. It appears it varies by model.

Reply 323 of 330, by eightbit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-04-25, 18:51:

Here is what the battery looks like in an MU50.

That looks like the battery in the TG300 from what I have seen in pictures. Again, it's on its way so I cannot confirm yet. Is that a CR2450?

Reply 325 of 330, by eightbit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Boohyaka wrote on 2022-04-25, 19:10:

yup so that's exactly the same as both my MU80, and once removed, devices would not turn on anymore.

You linked pictures of a CR 1220, which is much different (smaller) that the large coin cell in the MU50 and TG300. That is a CR2450 which is like the size of a quarter or maybe even a 50 cent piece.

Reply 326 of 330, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yeah...why i said "This is the kind of battery I found in my MU80's, not exactly those obviously but similar style"

I wanted to share what the assembly looked like, not the exact battery type. I googled around but couldn't find it, so share some random picture of a similar assembly.
So yeah my MU80 looked exactly like the picture shared by Kahenraz. If memory serves me well they are 2430.

Reply 327 of 330, by eightbit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Boohyaka wrote on 2022-04-25, 19:41:

yeah...why i said "This is the kind of battery I found in my MU80's, not exactly those obviously but similar style"

I wanted to share what the assembly looked like, not the exact battery type. I googled around but couldn't find it, so share some random picture of a similar assembly.
So yeah my MU80 looked exactly like the picture shared by Kahenraz. If memory serves me well they are 2430.

Gotcha. It looks like from what I am reading online that Yamaha kept the same with the battery types as well as the power supply types (they all seem to use 12V DC center +). I guess if someone with a TG300 does not come forward all I can do is remove the battery and see what happens. Why they didn't use battery holders is beyond me. Like the battery would last forever. Or maybe they figured it would last long enough before the produce was EOL 😉

Here's the battery from inside of the TG300....same type.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Filename
    Capture.JPG
    File size
    78.13 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 328 of 330, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
eightbit wrote on 2022-04-25, 19:45:

Why they didn't use battery holders is beyond me. Like the battery would last forever. Or maybe they figured it would last long enough before the produce was EOL 😉

That's exactly what I thought when I opened it, after being spoiled by Roland's devices all having a nice battery holder. Came to the same conclusion - they probably thought that 15-20 years was fine and nobody would care anymore when the battery died, so it was worth sparing 0.2c per device 😀

Reply 329 of 330, by Schule04

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also have a TG300 but haven't had to remove the battery yet, because it still works and looks okay visually.

By the way, is it common for a TG300 to have manually burned and labeled EEPROMs?

Attachments

• TG300 insides 2.jpg
    Filename
    TG300 insides 2.jpg
    File size
    1.47 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 330 of 330, by eightbit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I received my TG300 today and while the battery looks just like yours and was still functional, I am not taking any chances. I cut the battery out for now and may add a battery holder someday in the future. That said, it works fine with no battery. It merely says "battery low" on each power on and you have to hit OK to accept and it goes right in and works fine.