VOGONS

Reply 380 of 418, by pitchshifter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Again, new update,

Just check on the capacitors, all ok. The reset was already performed with no results. Also just replace the power connector.

My guess is somekind of ground issue because of the sound breaks, if i move around the sc, the sound comes and goes differently.. really think the reason is some ground issue or something doing short maybe?

The only thinng missing from mine is this piece of metal, i really donnt think but could this be the issue? Or the PSU?

Attachments

• sc.jpg
    Filename
    sc.jpg
    File size
    40.65 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 381 of 418, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pitchshifter wrote on 2024-02-08, 18:44:

The only thinng missing from mine is this piece of metal, i really donnt think but could this be the issue? Or the PSU?

These metal foils are in general used as shielding. The sound could get noisy but i would say this can not make the sound go away completely.

I had problems with a PC not booting because i had fitted rgb leds behind the mainboard that introduced electrical noise in the isa bus. But thats a super edge case.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 385 of 418, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm at a loss on this one. Maybe an important chip has failed.

Is there any corrosion from the adhesive on the large capacitors at the back by the heatsink?

PCB destroying adhesive found in my Roland Sound Canvas SC-55mkII (inspect your synthesizer!)

Reply 386 of 418, by pitchshifter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It was already replaced, no traces were damaged,,, the only thing im seeing is that i think there was somekind of battery leakage.. the board had somekind of fluid laying around.. i remove it, i didnt though cr232 could leak.. could be it?

Reply 387 of 418, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pitchshifter wrote on 2024-02-09, 22:05:

It was already replaced, no traces were damaged,,, the only thing im seeing is that i think there was somekind of battery leakage.. the board had somekind of fluid laying around.. i remove it, i didnt though cr232 could leak.. could be it?

Oh yeah coin cells can leak. Yesterday I had to clean the contacts of one of my sons toys as all 3 coin cells leaked.

Reply 388 of 418, by epborden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for this post. I just got a Roland SC-55 and the first thing I did was clean it up and check the battery. Sure enough, it was starting to leak, as corrosion could be seen on the battery mount. Luckily it wasn't too bad and didn't reach the board. I replaced the battery with a fresh one. I don't know if I would have thought to do it without seeing this post!

Reply 390 of 418, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pitchshifter wrote on 2024-02-16, 19:02:

Well, nobody has more ideas of what my issue could be?

Aside from inspecting it under a microscope and swapping out chips, no. Maybe the ROM is corrupt or was swapped out with the wrong one by a previous owner.

What is the exact version of your SC-55? There is a button combination to display it on the screen.

Reply 391 of 418, by pitchshifter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Its a sc-155, and it worked well for 1 Day after the capacitors replacement. Sounded really good. The Day after the sound its like the file i posted.. Theres nothing related in web about anything related... All seems to work well. 🙁

Reply 392 of 418, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not a synth but semi-related because batteries:

Heads up to my fellow Tiger Telematics Gizmondo owners - I recently learned that these, too, have a tiny backup battery besides the obvious main one. Take care of that before it's too late.

Reply 393 of 418, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pitchshifter wrote on 2024-02-17, 02:06:

Its a sc-155, and it worked well for 1 Day after the capacitors replacement. Sounded really good. The Day after the sound its like the file i posted.. Theres nothing related in web about anything related... All seems to work well. 🙁

Try using the headphone jack and see if that makes any difference.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 394 of 418, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Where did you source the capacitors?

Reply 395 of 418, by pitchshifter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-02-17, 06:04:

Try using the headphone jack and see if that makes any difference.

I did, the issue is the same.

Reply 396 of 418, by pitchshifter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2024-02-17, 09:51:

Where did you source the capacitors?

I dont understand the question, where did i source the capacitors?
If you mean quality, i dont think they are top notch, but they are new. Should they be top quality?

Reply 397 of 418, by pitchshifter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well.. I think im starting to act stupid.. 😅
I wanted to test with another psu, and i read somewhere twice that Sega Mega drive psu worked very well in these systems..
Guess is not turning on anymore.. 😥
I think is the diode near the big capacitor that is short, i will replace it in the next days.. Hope it should fix... Keep you posted

Reply 398 of 418, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you check that the voltage was correct? I these Roland synthesizers use a reverse polarity on the DC barrel. It's pretty standard nowadays for the sleeve to be the negative polarity, but I've found that it's typically the other way around on Roland synthesizers, with the sleeve being the positive polarity instead.

When in doubt, always test with a multimeter. I actually test and label all of my DC power supplies for this very reason, including indicating the polarity.

20240218_230435.jpg
Filename
20240218_230435.jpg
File size
615.13 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 399 of 418, by pitchshifter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes looks the same, Sega is 10v, but i think is no issue. The rest seems the same, so i dont understand why it shorted.

Attachments