VOGONS

Reply 200 of 201, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
7F20 wrote on 2024-01-12, 02:46:
Weird. I have Blood sound setup set to Sound Canvas, I expected that's what it meant. What else could it be? […]
Show full quote
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-01-12, 02:34:
7F20 wrote on 2024-01-11, 22:03:

So, I'm seeing while playing Blood that fluidsynth is missing a bunch of sounds (bank 56) using pretty much any .sf2 file I throw at it. What do I have to do to get complete sounds in Blood? Is it a situation that I would have to seek out and buy a specific SC-55 unit in order to even get the full compliment of instruments?

SC-55 (or even SC-88, SC-88Pro) does not have valid instruments at Bank 56 either. If it's not a conversion error then that Blood track is definitely not meant to be played on an SC-55.

Weird. I have Blood sound setup set to Sound Canvas, I expected that's what it meant. What else could it be?

Incidentally, I left this post here because on Page 9 of this thread, user spiffythedog notes that Blood uses "CTF for invalid variation tone bank change messages," so I thought that might be a clue to the error messages.

To be honest, I'm not sure what's it's supposedly missing at Bank 56, but it's substituting Bank 0 instead, so maybe that points to something? I wonder if it's playing the wrong stuff?

The original SC-55 plays the corresponding capital tone (Bank 0 + Program) when it receives an invalid Bank select + Program change message. This mechanism is called CTF (Capital Tone Fallback). SF2 softsynths like FluidSynth and BassMidi (and even Sound Blaster's HW SF2 synths) use the same mechanism when your SF2 soundfont is missing a preset at the requested Bank + Program combination.
So you do not miss anything. It's another question what the original intent of the composer of affected tracks was.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 201 of 201, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-01-12, 03:17:

So you do not miss anything. It's another question what the original intent of the composer of affected tracks was.

It was suggested by user spiffythedog that it may have been composed for the AWE32. Perhaps that means that the SC version was an afterthought and they didn't really care about the CTF in bank 56?

This guy did a rip of the AWE32 version and put it on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlfHoeOTO6s

As he points out in the comments, the drums really suck. I think I'll take an SC version of it, even if it's not completely accurate