VOGONS

Reply 280 of 314, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kordanor wrote on 2024-01-31, 16:33:

The sound program allows to load a custom driver for their "AIL 3.0 SoundStream". Anyone ever used that?

Try using that to load AUDIODRV.DIG that I've attached here. It should be placed inside the folder where the game keeps the other .DIG files.

Might not work, but if it does, it should give you proper 16-bit sound.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 281 of 314, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-01-31, 16:46:
Kordanor wrote on 2024-01-31, 16:33:

The sound program allows to load a custom driver for their "AIL 3.0 SoundStream". Anyone ever used that?

Try using that to load AUDIODRV.DIG that I've attached here. It should be placed inside the folder where the game keeps the other .DIG files.

Might not work, but if it does, it should give you proper 16-bit sound.

Thanks!
This yields the best results so far!
It was still not detected as ESS btw, but I just told it to load the file manually and that worked and it clearly sounds better than SB/SB Pro does.

Reply 282 of 314, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A new game, a new issue unfortunately.
It was mentioned before that some games, like Lands of Lore, keep resetting the Volume Mixer.
While the ESS sounds perfectly fine if its started with a Volume of like 20% or so, if set to 100% it results in some very ugly "reverb" type of distortion.
Even if you lower the volume within the game, it will stay distorted. And if you quit the game, you might "keep" some hanging note.
Here is an example of Lands of Lore:
https://youtu.be/Rtt8MzAwO48
Ignore the garbled graphics during the last sections of the video. This is because of the Datapath and the issue to automatically switch recording between 720x400 and 320x200. The hanging sound there is real though.

Lands of Lore seems to reset the mixer as soon as you run the intro (and possibly by other means). If you load up a savegame right away, it will sound fine. Until of course at some point you run into a reset (I am not sure when exactly these will happen after the intro).
I also tried the UNISOUND driver instead of the ESS one. But it results in exactly the same issue.

I saw in a previous comment that resetting the Mixer is not an issue by the card, but just something Lands of Lore does.
But I am wondering whether that "hanging" on the higher volumes is common for ESS Cards (in Lands of Lore for example), whether there is anything you can do to fight it, or if my card is just broken.
The Capacitors look fine though:
https://youtu.be/-R3alFff6aI

Reply 283 of 314, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kordanor wrote on 2024-03-18, 12:20:
A new game, a new issue unfortunately. It was mentioned before that some games, like Lands of Lore, keep resetting the Volume Mi […]
Show full quote

A new game, a new issue unfortunately.
It was mentioned before that some games, like Lands of Lore, keep resetting the Volume Mixer.
While the ESS sounds perfectly fine if its started with a Volume of like 20% or so, if set to 100% it results in some very ugly "reverb" type of distortion.
Even if you lower the volume within the game, it will stay distorted. And if you quit the game, you might "keep" some hanging note.
Here is an example of Lands of Lore:
https://youtu.be/Rtt8MzAwO48
Ignore the garbled graphics during the last sections of the video. This is because of the Datapath and the issue to automatically switch recording between 720x400 and 320x200. The hanging sound there is real though.

Lands of Lore seems to reset the mixer as soon as you run the intro (and possibly by other means). If you load up a savegame right away, it will sound fine. Until of course at some point you run into a reset (I am not sure when exactly these will happen after the intro).
I also tried the UNISOUND driver instead of the ESS one. But it results in exactly the same issue.

I saw in a previous comment that resetting the Mixer is not an issue by the card, but just something Lands of Lore does.
But I am wondering whether that "hanging" on the higher volumes is common for ESS Cards (in Lands of Lore for example), whether there is anything you can do to fight it, or if my card is just broken.
The Capacitors look fine though:
https://youtu.be/-R3alFff6aI

Many kinds of mixer related problems can be fixed by using Midito (command line: Midito.com -lock). It can be downloaded from here:
MIDIto r12 (Midi and FM redirection, Mixer locking, Sound Blaster fixes)

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 284 of 314, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-03-18, 12:36:

Many kinds of mixer related probelms can be fixed by using Midito (command line: Midito.com -lock). It can be downloaded from here:

Thank you!
Will need to do a bit of further testing, but I can tell already, that it works. However: It only works with UNISOUND, with the ESS Drivers it does not work.

I haven't played around much with UNISOUND yet, so I need to test further regarding fine-tuning Parameters in unisound (with only using Volume, the "noises" become inaudible at around a Volume of 30%)

Reply 285 of 314, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kordanor wrote on 2024-03-18, 13:11:
Thank you! Will need to do a bit of further testing, but I can tell already, that it works. However: It only works with UNISOUND […]
Show full quote
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-03-18, 12:36:

Many kinds of mixer related probelms can be fixed by using Midito (command line: Midito.com -lock). It can be downloaded from here:

Thank you!
Will need to do a bit of further testing, but I can tell already, that it works. However: It only works with UNISOUND, with the ESS Drivers it does not work.

I haven't played around much with UNISOUND yet, so I need to test further regarding fine-tuning Parameters in unisound (with only using Volume, the "noises" become inaudible at around a Volume of 30%)

For me it works without problems with ESS drivers (although I have not tested your game). Actually it would be rather strange if the lock function of Midito had anything to do with what driver sets the mixer values. The lock function locks the mixer registers themselves and the ESS driver sets them only once when it runs (The ESS driver is not a TSR).

Reply 286 of 314, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting. I looked into it further.
ESS Vol is 8 on boot

OnBoot.png
Filename
OnBoot.png
File size
29.33 KiB
Views
File comment
On Boot
File license
CC-BY-4.0

If Lands of Lore is started with the intro it's 12 (talking about turning volume up to 11), synth is even upped to 14

AfterLOL-No Lock.png
Filename
AfterLOL-No Lock.png
File size
22.66 KiB
Views
File comment
After LOL Unlocked
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I then tried with midito lock
ESS Vol 8 on boot
MIDITO Lock
Lands of Lore normal -> Ok -> Quit game
Lands of Lore Intro -> Sound broken -> Going into the game -> Sound still broken
ESS Vol still on 8 if I start ESSVOL, BUT the volume is not 8, it's higher.
You can clearly hear that in my recording I just did:
https://youtu.be/vNt0KRUAyhY
So it looks like that on the surface the mixer volumes are kept, but internally, it's still changed.

Lands of Lore Volume.png
Filename
Lands of Lore Volume.png
File size
92.76 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 287 of 314, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kordanor wrote on 2024-03-19, 10:47:
Interesting. I looked into it further. ESS Vol is 8 on boot OnBoot.png If Lands of Lore is started with the intro it's 12 (talki […]
Show full quote

Interesting. I looked into it further.
ESS Vol is 8 on boot
OnBoot.png
If Lands of Lore is started with the intro it's 12 (talking about turning volume up to 11), synth is even upped to 14
AfterLOL-No Lock.png

I then tried with midito lock
ESS Vol 8 on boot
MIDITO Lock
Lands of Lore normal -> Ok -> Quit game
Lands of Lore Intro -> Sound broken -> Going into the game -> Sound still broken
ESS Vol still on 8 if I start ESSVOL, BUT the volume is not 8, it's higher.
You can clearly hear that in my recording I just did:
https://youtu.be/vNt0KRUAyhY
So it looks like that on the surface the mixer volumes are kept, but internally, it's still changed.
Lands of Lore Volume.png

It is really interesting. Have you tried to load a saved game after starting it? If I remember correctly in case of protected mode games MidiTo has to apply some tricks to restore mixer settings. And the trick is to re-apply settings in case of disk activity:
Re: MIDIto - relocate hardcoded port 330h to somewhere else
And if you use UNISOUND then everything works as it should? I mean ESSVOL shows the same values but the sound is OK?

Reply 288 of 314, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ah, you are right. Going back into dos seems to reapply the old volume, ofc that doesnt help much.

But now I need to recheck whether I did miss that with UNISOUND, but if I remember correctly it kept the sound ingame as well without quitting. But will recheck tomorrow.

Reply 289 of 314, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, tested UNISOUND again, but I remembered it correctly. In difference to the Original ESS Driver, the settings in UNISOUND keep locked.

As you could see in the video I posted before with ESS the volume is reset when playing the intro even if it is locked. Once the intro is starting the intro is loud and the actual game then stays loud. (And in DOS the settings are then reset)
With UNISOUND on the other hand, that doesnt happen if it is locked. Even the intro will be played in normal volume. Nothing changes from what I can tell.

Reply 290 of 314, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kordanor wrote on 2024-03-20, 04:06:

Ok, tested UNISOUND again, but I remembered it correctly. In difference to the Original ESS Driver, the settings in UNISOUND keep locked.

As you could see in the video I posted before with ESS the volume is reset when playing the intro even if it is locked. Once the intro is starting the intro is loud and the actual game then stays loud. (And in DOS the settings are then reset)
With UNISOUND on the other hand, that doesnt happen if it is locked. Even the intro will be played in normal volume. Nothing changes from what I can tell.

Hi,
I meant to ask if you had tried to load a saved game right after the sound became bad in the intro in case of ESS drivers. That way you can check if MidiTo can restore mixer settings while you are still inside the game.
Otherwise the explanation can be that your game is a protected mode game and somehow UNISOUND can alter Int13 behavior so that MidiTo can apply its trick while by default (in case of ESS drivers ) Int13 functionality is blocked.
BTW, have you tried that you still have to use MidiTo in case of UNISOUND or UNISOUND alone is enough to preserve mixer settings?

Reply 291 of 314, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-03-20, 08:30:
Hi, I meant to ask if you had tried to load a saved game right after the sound became bad in the intro in case of ESS drivers. […]
Show full quote

Hi,
I meant to ask if you had tried to load a saved game right after the sound became bad in the intro in case of ESS drivers. That way you can check if MidiTo can restore mixer settings while you are still inside the game.
Otherwise the explanation can be that your game is a protected mode game and somehow UNISOUND can alter Int13 behavior so that MidiTo can apply its trick while by default (in case of ESS drivers ) Int13 functionality is blocked.
BTW, have you tried that you still have to use MidiTo in case of UNISOUND or UNISOUND alone is enough to preserve mixer settings?

I am not quite sure what you mean, because that's exactly what I did in the video. I started the game, played the intro, and then loaded a savegame. The sound on the loaded savegame is then much too loud.

I also tried UNISOUND alone, without MidiTo but then it also gets reset. So it's the combination which is important. Unfortunately UNISOUND doesn't seem to have a command to just "read" the settings. Showing the config just shows IRQ and stuff but not the volume and if you run UNISOUND it always sets standard settings. So there is no way to see to which values the game changes it. But it's clearly audible that the game changes the settings if MidiTo is not used.

Reply 292 of 314, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, I did some further testing, and it seems like it is not the Unisound. Because once you start modifying different sub-values you run into the same issues.
But then I seem to have found the solution. MIDITO -lock doesnt actually lock everything, but only a couple of things. So what you would need to do is to run MIDITO -lock=XX,YY and then basically every parameter.

Reply 293 of 314, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kordanor wrote on 2024-03-22, 12:53:

Ok, I did some further testing, and it seems like it is not the Unisound. Because once you start modifying different sub-values you run into the same issues.
But then I seem to have found the solution. MIDITO -lock doesnt actually lock everything, but only a couple of things. So what you would need to do is to run MIDITO -lock=XX,YY and then basically every parameter.

And this way also works with ESS drivers?

Reply 294 of 314, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-03-22, 18:25:

Yep, all good, sorry for the confusion.

Reply 295 of 314, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kordanor wrote on 2024-03-22, 18:29:

Ahh, it's good to hear. BTW, I think you need MIDITO -lock=DEF,VO,FM at the worst case. That is lock all defaults + Voice and FM. But be aware that this is a problematic setup for other games that want to use panning etc. effects by modifying voice levels.

Reply 296 of 314, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-03-22, 18:36:
Kordanor wrote on 2024-03-22, 18:29:

Ahh, it's good to hear. BTW, I think you need MIDITO -lock=DEF,VO,FM at the worst case. That is lock all defaults + Voice and FM. But be aware that this is a problematic setup for many other games that want to use panning etc. effects by modifying voice levels.

Yeah, I usually create a sound profile in a BAT for each game 😀

Reply 297 of 314, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Trying to play the next game, and guess what...issues with the Soundcard 😁

This time I want to play Burntime. Burntime does not offer any settings, it automatically uses any card for it's midi track which usually works without issues.
However for Soundeffects it uses a file called ct-voice.drv and you are supposed to copy it over from your sound driver. Just that the ESS doesnt have it.
I tried all 5 files from this post: Re: Sound blaster issues with Yamaha YMF724F-V PCI & YMF719E-S ISA in Prehistorik
Either they don't work, or they create horrible sound issues which make your ears bleed.

Any recommendations?

Reply 298 of 314, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kordanor wrote on 2024-04-15, 14:41:

<snip>
Any recommendations?

I just tested it... You can specify the soundcard settings at the command line (or at least that's what the included batch file in the version I downloaded shows)... It's burn.exe /IRQ /PORT /DMA.

The SB Pro ct-voice worked for me on my ES1869. The way I tested was I engaged in battle with a random character. The attack sound is a small thud but the death sound is an unmistakable cry (mind you, there are not that many sound effects, that's why I feel like I need to describe them).

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 299 of 314, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mockingbird wrote on 2024-04-15, 16:23:
Kordanor wrote on 2024-04-15, 14:41:

<snip>
Any recommendations?

I just tested it... You can specify the soundcard settings at the command line (or at least that's what the included batch file in the version I downloaded shows)... It's burn.exe /IRQ /PORT /DMA.

The SB Pro ct-voice worked for me on my ES1869. The way I tested was I engaged in battle with a random character. The attack sound is a small thud but the death sound is an unmistakable cry (mind you, there are not that many sound effects, that's why I feel like I need to describe them).

Yeah, thats what I tested. I do get the music, but I dont get the sound (neither the thud, nor the death sound).
I tested it with a Soundblaster Live (emulated as SB16 in DOS). With that card it works. But with my ESS1868 I only get the music. And a totally broken soundeffect on some driver files (which are so loud and broken you immediately want to restart the PC). Can you attach the drv file which you use? Thats likely also different just by using a different version of the game.
Are the drivers (outside of the file) relevant? I tested it with ESS Drivers as well with unisound though, and it doesnt seem to make a difference.