VOGONS

Reply 220 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am very disappointed to inform that the guy in SPb hasn't found the dead GUS PnP. It seems to be lost or something.
Thus I remind that there is another GUS PnP (alive) offered for free by my friend White in case the project needs one more original GUS PnP board.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 221 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What revision is that board just out of interest? A GUS PnP Pro 1.0 should arrive here either today or tomorrow.

On another note: started writing down the resistor values, started naming the parts (going with the original, partially chaotic scheme for now) and am about to start working on the schematic ... anyone have a spare TFT I could use as a secondary monitor? 😁

EDIT: GUS PnP Pro 1.0 just arrived 😀 Thx CHiLL72

EDIT2: Redrawing the schematic is fucking tiresome 🙁 Didn't get much done yet.

EDIT3: 635 inconsistencies to go (meaning at least Eagle's consistency check between schematic and layout is going now - which is good) 😀

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 223 of 3172, by CHiLL72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are there any significant differences between the GUS PnP revisions 1.0 and 3.0? I've only owned revision 1.0 boards and I've seen revision 3.0 boards.

Waveblaster MIDI boards: https://waveblaster.nl - online now!

Reply 224 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Marmes wrote:

made all the needed libs?

IW78C21M1 still is a spacer, but yeah, otherwise the libs should be done. I'll message you once they've reached a decent level ... and possibly soon-ish regarding dumping of the ROMs.

Working on the schematic right now ... down to 500 inconsistencies (woo). Things should go a lot quicker once I'm done with the analog parts.

About the 1.0 and 3.0 of the GUS PnP revisions ... I doubt there are too significant changes.

[Z?]

Reply 226 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shock__ wrote:

What revision is that board just out of interest?

I've passed your question to him, waiting for an answer.

CHiLL72 wrote:

Are there any significant differences between the GUS PnP revisions 1.0 and 3.0? I've only owned revision 1.0 boards and I've seen revision 3.0 boards.

I'd even put the question this way - is anybody aware of any differences between rev1.0 and 3.0? I've had both, but haven't managed to identify any.

Marmes wrote:

Never seen a rev 2.0 😐

Me neither.

Also I'd like to draw your attention to the fact that Gravis changed version naming after the classic GUS line: original GUS was REV.X.YZ, while PnP was VERSION X.0.
Taking into account that PnP cards were produced in Taiwan (while the original ones in Canada), I could guess that the PnP line design might have been outsourced. I wouldn't even exclude the probability that Synergy could be the PnP designer as there are some points in common between the GUS PnP and GUS Extreme as far as the PCB desing is concerned: version numbers, place of origin, fonts, inscriptions, layout to some extent, etc. Take a look at the box artwork - it's just the same.
I may be wrong, but such chance exists.
And there was no GUS Extreme PCB rev. 2.0 neither 😉

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 227 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hard1k wrote:
Also I'd like to draw your attention to the fact that Gravis changed version naming after the classic GUS line: original GUS was […]
Show full quote

Also I'd like to draw your attention to the fact that Gravis changed version naming after the classic GUS line: original GUS was REV.X.YZ, while PnP was VERSION X.0.
Taking into account that PnP cards were produced in Taiwan (while the original ones in Canada), I could guess that the PnP line design might have been outsourced. I wouldn't even exclude the probability that Synergy could be the PnP designer as there are some points in common between the GUS PnP and GUS Extreme as far as the PCB desing is concerned: version numbers, place of origin, fonts, inscriptions, layout to some extent, etc. Take a look at the box artwork - it's just the same.
I may be wrong, but such chance exists.
And there was no GUS Extreme PCB rev. 2.0 neither 😉

GUS Extreme basically is a rebranded Synergy Vipermax (you can even see how the just "overpainted" a major part of the silkscreen) if you look extremely close you can still see the old logo underneath the "extreme rev 3.0" label extremev.jpg

[Z?]

Reply 228 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sure!
But wait, doesn't it look a bit strange that there are so many similarities between Vipermax and GUS PnP *and* the fact that later Gravis rebranded Vipermax as Extreme? To me it sounds reasonable enough that Synergy might have acted as the PCB designer for both with the only difference consisting in that Gravis decided to put its brand on the PnP from the very beginning and on the Vipermax only when Synergy faced some marketing problems with its own brand.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 229 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Down to 300 inconsistencies (with the annoying analog part done) - enough for today.

[Z?]

Reply 230 of 3172, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is the gravis ultrasound drivers source code (from the Utopia project): http://dk.toastednet.org/GUS/SOURCE%20CODE/GU … IVERS_SOURCE.7z

This includes the iwinit and the windows drivers so you should be able to found out how to talk to the IC and what it wants to initialize, etc.

Reply 231 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks Maraakate, that might possibly come in handy (and is otherwise nice to have I suppose).

Here's a quick connection diagram of the IW78C21M1
http://i.imgur.com/2JOJkuo.png

Hope this helps decyphering what kind of ROM chip is used (I've barely worked with that kind of circuit so far and I'm not sure if I understand the datasheets correctly).

[Z?]

Reply 232 of 3172, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While we're briefly talking about the source here is an updated Ultrinit I wrote based on the viprinit source: http://dk.toastednet.org/GUS/ULTRINIT/ULTRINIT_121114.7z

This has a bit more verbose output which shows the card name, base port, irqs, dmas, codec (if available), joystick capability and the DRAM. You can start it with -v to see an even more verbose output which shows the actual card tests to locate if a GF1 is available. It was useful for me to test out some cards that had issues.

This version will work with all GF1 version cards from the classic all the way to the vipermax/extreme. It also runs the ultramix silently if you are not in windows which helps for a few games that had some bad detection routines (Quake is a good example of this).

Reply 234 of 3172, by wbc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shock__ wrote:

Hope this helps decyphering what kind of ROM chip is used

Looks like 512 kbit x 16 (or 1 mbit x 8, depending of mode) ROM with standard JEDEC pinout (44-pin SO) like this: http://www.datasheetarchive.com/M29F800AT-datasheet.html

--wbcbz7

Reply 237 of 3172, by wbc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Marmes wrote:

not 29f***, some pins are swapped

maybe non-standard adressing scheme or swapped for connection with 74LS373 latches? 😀
upd: it does not seems to be swapped or scrambled, because high byte of ROM data can be read from MA3-MA10 (DQ8-DQ15 in JEDEC pinout) and some address lines data taken from latches.
upd2: Interwave datasheet uses 1-based ROM address pins enumeration system, JEDEC pinout uses 0-based system, so don't be confused 😀

Marmes wrote:

I still believe it's 27c something. Or DIP is some sort of plug for a test board as shown before, either way, we can try to read it as 29f or 28f. 27c, with a propper converter.

Or mask ROM. So, I also think that it can be easily read.

--wbcbz7

Reply 238 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Marmes wrote:

can you make connection from this to DIP that resides on gravis pnp?

That's pretty much the first thing I'll do once I'm done with the basic scheme 😀

EDIT: Down to 130 inconsistencies ... luckily the rest is just connections between the interwave and slot as well as power supply stuff ... hope to have a messy scheme done by the evening and a cleaned up on by tomorrow.

EDIT2: Down to 25

EDIT3: Basically done ... need to redraw one of the GND polygons tho, which turned out to be 2 different ones 😉

[Z?]