VOGONS

Reply 260 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Once again, unfortunately, InterWave does not have a working MPU-401 interface. Its type of MPU-401 emulation is limited to MegaEm with some rendering of built-in synthesizer as a General MIDI device. Any attempts to use external MIDI-compatible equipment (a Waveblaster-compatible daughterboard is no more than a regular synth/sampler connected to MIDI-out, power supply and Line-In of the card via unified 26-pin Waveblaster port) have not led to any success.
If I'm mistaken, I would be happy to see any confirmed success stories 🙁

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 262 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even in datasheets they pretend to make things seem better than they are.
Back in 1996 Waveblaster-compatible port was a must even for a mediocre soundcard, so there were some arguments why you wouldn't find a single Interwave-based card with such an interface, even the most advanced ones produced by Core Dynamics.
As it was in classic GF1-based cards, Interwave has very limited support for any other industrial standards (except the Ultrasound itself and its native Interwave mode) only through some specialized software (SBOS, MegaEm, etc.). C'est la vie, as they would say in Canada 😀

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 263 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We'll see on that ... the InterWave has a Suspend signal that might maybe incorporated for that (basically stops all activity of the chip except for DRAM refresh from what I understood. If not nothing too bad either ... wasn't my plan to reinvent anything that other readily available cards can do anyways.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 265 of 3172, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hard1k wrote:

Once again, unfortunately, InterWave does not have a working MPU-401 interface...Any attempts to use external MIDI-compatible equipment...have not led to any success.
If I'm mistaken, I would be happy to see any confirmed success stories

I'm not sure if this will help, but I haven't had any trouble driving external synths (Sound Canvas, MT-32, etc.) from a GUS PnP, through use of Mega-Em's MPU-401 emulation capabilities. That said, and given Mega-Em's operational reliance on protected mode, some titles that use DOS extenders are problematic, but this isn't unexpected.

Most of my configuration is documented in this thread, but I can share more of the specifics with regard to Mega-Em, make a video, etc., if any of that might be of value.

There goes my resolution to distance myself from computing forums. Made it a whole two weeks! 🤣

Reply 266 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm...
I even don't know if a possible Waveblaster connector with all the needed circuitry would be useful enough with all those Mega-Em issues, after all.
But if shock__ decides to implement this, I would suggest cooperating with Serge Defever from Belgium who already made a couple of really great Waveblaster-compatible devices (look here: http://www.serdashop.com/). I guess he might even provide the needed PCB schematics and production files for the sake of the project.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 267 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks hard1k ... certainly worth a look.
Bryce also said he's gonna give me his Eagle files for the MIF-IPC clone ... might be worth checking into including it as an option as well (even though I suppose intelligent MPU and UltraSound are 2 completely different generations).

Thinking about starting to accept donations for parts soon-ish (InterWave chips aren't free and I'lI need to order at least 10 ... "overstock" will then be redistributed among donators for free). A single prototype PCB has been pretty much financed ... but I might be able to have up to 3 produced ... if anyone wants to hop on, let me know - I'll PM you with details then.

[Z?]

Reply 268 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would eagerly donate!

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 270 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Talking about InterWave chips, maybe we could reach some reasonable amount in order to make an offer to the seller of this lot: http://www.ebay.com/itm/350982037517 ?

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 271 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know that auction 😉
One drypack would be 120 chips - which should be enough for this project. I'Il contact the seller once I get back home. Ideally I could order a small quantity from him/her first to confirm the AKC version as working on KC revision based boards.

[Z?]

Reply 272 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sure!
In the other auction ($999 one) they say "MAKE ME AN OFFER WE ARE VERY VERY MOTIVATED!!!!!!!!!", so I guess we could easily begin with $100 for the smaller lot 😉

Btw, if you are ready to solder the Compaq board, a test with its AKC could confirm the prototype as working...

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 273 of 3172, by wbc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hard1k wrote:

Talking about InterWave chips, maybe we could reach some reasonable amount in order to make an offer to the seller of this lot: http://www.ebay.com/itm/350982037517 ?

wooow, so many chips! 🙄

hard1k wrote:

Sure!

In the other auction ($999 one) they say "MAKE ME AN OFFER WE ARE VERY VERY MOTIVATED!!!!!!!!!", so I guess we could easily begin with $100 for the smaller lot 😉

I agree 😀

--wbcbz7

Reply 277 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

how big should a donation be so it makes sense / is actually usable?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 279 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Total ammount that needs to be covered will be something between $70-$400 ... something in the lower half is probably realistic. I'll let you know once I've made a decision ... but awesome to see this amount of interest and folks willing to donate 😀

[Z?]