VOGONS

Reply 340 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The ShockWave idea actually is pretty nifty - as I used to go by that name and still do in some places combining my name with the name of the main IC. But not too sure about including my nickname in the "product name" itself tho.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 343 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

UltraSound Ultimate sounds really good. And I like the common ULT* beginning of both words. PnP could be added in between, but that would ruin the consequence, so better leave it intact.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 344 of 3172, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kodai wrote:

I like the ARGUS name, it sounds cool and retro.

I like a mix....The Shockwave ARGUS.

Gives a nod to the main man, and a description of what the card is.

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 346 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Other possible variants might be UltraSound Tribute and UltraSound Afterlife 😀

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 350 of 3172, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ultrasound Super, Ultrasound Wonder... All I can think of.

Could always go with the 80's convention of naming and just add "Turbo" or "Power" to the end of it... Or call it something ridiculous like the Ultrasound Mondo/Rad/Uber* as a possibility - actually, that has a surfer tone to it... Surfers, waves, you get the idea. 😉

*This one was my first thought to be honest.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 351 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Super UltraSound 2000 Ultra 😁

On a serious note, I really like the ARGUS acronym - but ain't too kind on the replica part, as I consider a replica something to be a 100% accurate clone camouflaging as the item it meant to clone.
Maybe R for research? (as in boosting RAM & ROM to 16MB and replacing the ROM with an off the shelf part took research)
Or maybe Advanced RAM/ROM?

[Z?]

Reply 352 of 3172, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd suggest something in the lines of "GUS NEXT", but the G part won't apply here.
We all know it's not GUS, so "NOTGUS" almost sounds like a word.
Does "UltraSound Next" sound bad?
Can it have the InterWave word? "InterWave Deluxe"? "InterWave Unity"?

Reply 353 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To my mind, Ultrasound Ultimate is the best name (and it can be made graphical using the existing UltraSound logo and putting some stylized form for Ultimate). I'd not put in "G" in any name or acronym, as Jepael mentioned above.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 354 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hard1k wrote:

To my mind, Ultrasound Ultimate is the best name (and it can be made graphical using the existing UltraSound logo and putting some stylized form for Ultimate). I'd not put in "G" in any name or acronym, as Jepael mentioned above.

Absolutely agree on the Gravis part.

YAUSC? Yet another UltraSound card/compatible/clone (I know it's almost generic, but hey gives a nod to the early "what's the point, I'm covered all the way with GUS cards and have more I'd ever need" comments)

EDIT: Also just confirmed something to be working I previously forgot - Gravis GamePad works on the Franken-GUS PnP

[Z?]

Reply 355 of 3172, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's nothing wrong with putting the letter G in anything as long as you don't use the word Gravis. The letter itself is perfectly acceptable under fair use.

Anyone remember the unix mail reader program "PINE" as in "Pine Is Not Elm"? That's even more obvious, but still fair use.

The Gravis trademark is dead. So we'd be extra safe just by not spelling out Gravis. So, the use of "G" or even the word "GUS" is, again, fair use and totally safe. I would not use the word "ultrasound" in combination with almost any adjective like "ultrasound ultimate" or any such. Trademark office databse is FULL of actual ultrasound companies (think medical imaging) with nearly every cool adjective used in combination with the word ultrasound. Steer clear.

I still like ARGUS, too... R could be Refinement, Research, or Revision. I like Shock's idea of research... has a nice ring to it... Advanced Research GUS... ARGUS. Advanced Revision doesn't sound bad either (research is better, IMHO).

Reply 356 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Argus is a very nice name IMHO , it has GUS inside and doubles as the name of a mythical ship 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 357 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

Argus is a very nice name IMHO , it has GUS inside and doubles as the name of a mythical ship 😁

*nod* Also argus-eyes (no idea if that figure of speech is well known internationally - but it's commonly used in phrases describing a requirement/presense of good eyesight/attention - which fits the first phase of the cloning process) - and last but not least greek mythology is something I like.

Last edited by shock__ on 2015-04-01, 18:37. Edited 1 time in total.

[Z?]

Reply 358 of 3172, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A few more suggestions:

GUS Phoenix (back from the ashes?)
GUS MACH one (breaking the sound barrier?)
GUS MACH 16 (comes with 16MB of RAM?)

I kinda like ARGUS, but GUS "something" sounds more appropriate...

Reply 359 of 3172, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Or how about Angus, "A New GUS"?

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.