VOGONS

Reply 401 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Someone's intrigued:
http://i.imgur.com/mjG2RYy.png
(no, Hans Meier is not my actual name - think of it as a German variant of John Smith. Also I usually use Facebook only for tattoo related stuff, so no point in adding me)

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 403 of 3172, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Marmes wrote:

Intriguing indeed! He had exactly the same idea, and design as you did! 😁 And webpage is the same as yours... Maybe he can help us 😜

I wonder if competition makes the price go down? 🤣 j/k 😎

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 405 of 3172, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've really liked Clint's vids over the years and would love to see one on the GUS in general, but I'd be just as happy to see on on this revamped version as well. Maybe he will toss in some "Duke" voice over as well. 😄

Reply 406 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been kinda ambivalent over LGR recently (as in the last 12 months), his stuff usually is great - but those product advertisements or "reviews" really annoyed me at one point when they got a weekly thing - especially when he celebrated Apogee's/3DRealms'/Interceptors'/"whatevers their name today" last carrot on a stick.
His new tech tale series is really cool tho.

[Z?]

Reply 407 of 3172, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This project probably isn't "cool"/corporate enough for phreakindee... Bloody clueless unoriginal sellout.

Oh, shit, I broke my silence.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 408 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shock__ wrote:

Wheee ... InterWave chips got stuck in customs 🙁

oh crap, I hope they don't tax you to the moon 😠

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 409 of 3172, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shock__ wrote:

I've been kinda ambivalent over LGR recently (as in the last 12 months), his stuff usually is great - but those product advertisements or "reviews" really annoyed me at one point when they got a weekly thing - especially when he celebrated Apogee's/3DRealms'/Interceptors'/"whatevers their name today" last carrot on a stick.
His new tech tale series is really cool tho.

I don't want to go off-topic, neither really defend the man, but I do not really agree with you. He seemed sincere in all of these "reviews" that I watched. I don't see why it is product placement, he gets them for free and tells people his honest opinion on them. I've seen him become negative (not a usual LGR sight) on a few of these products. I realize that you may not agree with them being weekly, but AFAIK the show is his full time job now, so he has to produce some filler content here and there, as producing lengthy videos can be quite difficult.

Anyway, the whole customs deal is going to be a pain in the ass, or wallet...

Reply 410 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:
shock__ wrote:

17.5% of $400 if all else fails.
Gotta be fun to explain them how to use 200 NOS chips for a hobby (aka non-commercial) project.

EDIT: I'll make 3 red crosses in my calendar once I got this damn SIMM72 slot into the layout 😜

[Z?]

Reply 411 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ 70$ tax, I hope it doesn't get to this...
maybe someone will listen if you explain that these are obsolete chips for a hobby project but the only minimum order you could negotiate was 200 of them...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 412 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's the plan - we'll see, not sure if I can get around to picking them up tomorrow.

[Z?]

Reply 413 of 3172, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shock__ wrote:
17.5% of $400 if all else fails. Gotta be fun to explain them how to use 200 NOS chips for a hobby (aka non-commercial) project. […]
Show full quote
keropi wrote:
shock__ wrote:

17.5% of $400 if all else fails.
Gotta be fun to explain them how to use 200 NOS chips for a hobby (aka non-commercial) project.

EDIT: I'll make 3 red crosses in my calendar once I got this damn SIMM72 slot into the layout 😜

Its 19% of the equivalent of 400(USD) in Euros to be correct. 17,5% occurs only when the items are declared for air or ship transportation with the according documentation.
No need to invent stories about the use of the chips. These questions are for statistic records and don't influence the tax rate which is exact the same for both private or commercial use.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 415 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good news everyone!

The Compaq Ultrasound card from bristlehog arrived - without getting caught by customs (or rather passed it as it should).

Also Mark Wiens of Voice Crystal contacted me again - shouldn't be a problem to work out a deal for individually licensing the contents of the GM ROM. Nothings wrapped up yet, but we should be able to work something out in time once the PCBs ship.

EDIT: Just another close-up of the area I'm currently working on - it's fun. Change one line, change 20 others in return. Also I guess I've been watching too much computer chronicles recently - 90's buzzwords ahoi!
http://i.imgur.com/ohHP021.jpg

[Z?]

Reply 416 of 3172, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lol! "Data superhighway" I love that 😁

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 417 of 3172, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shock__ wrote:
Good news everyone! […]
Show full quote

Good news everyone!

The Compaq Ultrasound card from bristlehog arrived - without getting caught by customs (or rather passed it as it should).

Also Mark Wiens of Voice Crystal contacted me again - shouldn't be a problem to work out a deal for individually licensing the contents of the GM ROM. Nothings wrapped up yet, but we should be able to work something out in time once the PCBs ship.

EDIT: Just another close-up of the area I'm currently working on - it's fun. Change one line, change 20 others in return. Also I guess I've been watching too much computer chronicles recently - 90's buzzwords ahoi!
http://i.imgur.com/ohHP021.jpg

Keep up the good work! 😎

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 418 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not too much done on the productive front (weather's too good currently 😁)

So instead, there's a picture of Biggy (the project's QA Manager) making sure bristlehog sent the Compaq card in a proper box - I think it got his approval.
http://i.imgur.com/Lsqoq6d.jpg

[Z?]