VOGONS

Reply 480 of 3172, by Marmes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ESR70 from Peak instruments it's quite nice.
I have an LCR40 wich is quite handy also.
Cheers!

shock__ wrote:

Kinda thinking to go with a cheap meter ($50-$100 segment or possibly just add an LCR/ESR Meter along to my current cheap Multimeter) for now and buy a high quality Fluke(87/28)/Agilent(U1273/U1272)/Gossen(MetraHIT Tech) in the $400 segment later on.

Reply 481 of 3172, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

EEVBlog has a pretty good round-up of commonly available DMM's in the $100 range:
https://youtu.be/n3WGaiYF2sk?list=PL4F0B97C59B1D2509

...and another similar of multimeter's in the $50 range:
https://youtu.be/ZoeUgMFLyAw?list=PL4F0B97C59B1D2509

I've been thinking of picking up an Extech as a backup DMM.

Reply 482 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been watching a lot of EEVBlog on that topic.
I think I'll go with just getting a cheap ESR meter for now and a proper high spec multimeter later on ... kinda sucks how the Fluke gear is a decent bit more expensive than in the USA. I really, really like the Agilent gear I've seen so far apart from a few small tidbits (kinda slow continuity beeper and the lower end of cap measurements being largely off).

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 483 of 3172, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

mjlorton is the user you want to look up and watch his meter reviews. Dave kinda gave up on them after Martin started doing them. Just look up mjlorton blospot and you can find all his vid reviews there.

Reply 484 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kodai wrote:

mjlorton is the user you want to look up and watch his meter reviews. Dave kinda gave up on them after Martin started doing them. Just look up mjlorton blospot and you can find all his vid reviews there.

I've seen various of his reviews/teardowns ... just admitedly don't find them too conclusive/partially repetitive.
Found the Agilent U1271A for 220€ or U1272 for 280€ - right now those are definitely some candidates (Fluke 175/177 are in the same price-class here, but offer way less for that price). We'll see ... potentially might get access to some really high quality gear in another way.

[Z?]

Reply 485 of 3172, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As you live in Germany, I have to ask the question. Have you looked at Gossen Metrawatt? They are considered one of the very best, but their cost outside of Germany is very high. I'm curious what price range they are in if they are local to you (and I may get one when I go back this Christmas 😄)?

Reply 486 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've looked into the "Gossen MetraHIT Tech" - 420€ is the best offer I could find.
They're certainly nice meters and I considered saving up a bit for them - but those Agilent ones seem just too right (also I like HP ever since I used to work in the IT).

EDIT:
Fuckings will be removed, as 1 person contacted me and (without going into details) stood up to my accusations and cleared some things up - that needs to be appreciated. So in case you made any conclusions and happened to guess the right guy (speaking of the regular here on VOGONS) all is back to a cool level there. The one time poster will still get mentioned negatively in the documentation 😁
The cleared space on the silkscreen will be used for adding explainations for the jumpers - a more positive and useful thing anyways.

I've also decided that there will be a maximum order of 3 cards per person for now - this goes with the fact that my chosen PCB plant can produce 120 cards per order and allows me to have a bigger buffer in case something goes horribly wrong. I might place a second order at a later point and contributors/donors can hop in there once again - without having to donate again of course.

[Z?]

Reply 487 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Progress"
BxzkUFn.jpg

I might steal this awesome idea for the final version tho:
http://irokos.untergrund.net/titan/projects/o … 037683103_o.jpg (Overdrive cartridge PCBs by Titan)

[Z?]

Reply 489 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe it would look better without the explanation line? And "e" in "engineered" shouldn't be capital as it isn't included into the abbreviation.
If we put just a logo it would leave room for fantasy for those who are unfamiliar with the project. E.g. someone might find a hint for Ultrasound Silver (Arg[entum]+UltraSound), etc.

My part of the artwork is almost ready btw 😀

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 490 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, the second logo is finally ready:

y0byg-b0C7w.jpg

MANY thanks to Beegle for his great help with the fonts! The actual font I decided to use was Zamenhof Solid proposed by him. And thanks to the fact he found that font, the commemorative inscription became feasible 😀
Please find attached two variants of the artwork (archived). Anyone is free to use them for any non-commercial purpose related only to this project (with due respect of any possible rights the original owner might still have).

Attachments

• Filename
    Interwave Logo.rar
    File size
    1.43 MiB
    Downloads
    63 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 493 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some demoscene/crackerscene/artscene styled PCB-art (preview) - done by alien^pdx, minor adjustments by me.
xt0UrRL.jpg
This will be included in the copper/exposed copper/soldermask 😀

[Z?]

Reply 494 of 3172, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This last one is a great logo, but I feel like it doesn't really fit the GUS. Maybe that's just me, kudos to alien^pdx in any case 😀.

This is such a feel good thread. What started out as an idea for a project, has quickly shaped up to be an amazing piece of hardware!

Reply 495 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I wanted to give some kind of nod to the demoscene, since they were the folks that gave the GUS a large boost afterall.

It'll probably go on the back side as a header for the thanks section or on it's own (since that's the only space of the PCB that has a decent amount of unused space left) the front will still get the more traditional logo adapted from the UltraSound lettering on the silkscreen.

[Z?]

Reply 496 of 3172, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shock__ wrote:

Well, I wanted to give some kind of nod to the demoscene, since they were the folks that gave the GUS a large boost afterall.

Sure, I can totally agree with that 😀. It's just that stylistically, it doesn't really stick with the GUS, at least in my opinion. It's still a great logo though!

Reply 499 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While there are no new comments in the thread, I'd like to share some ideas to revive it a little bit.

Of everything mentioned above, there are some things that haven't been implemented yet:
* Adapting the audio/joystick ports so standard brackets from donor cards can be used (have we finally confirmed that the sequence of the ports corresponds to the brackets we'll use later?)
* Add pinheaders for all audio ports (are they already there and I just can't see them?..)
* Add Waveblaster connector (has this idea been finally abandoned?)
* Add integrated MIF-IPC clone (same as above)
* Make MONOIN and MONOOUT available as pin-headers on the board (marked as PCSPK_IN and PCSPK_OUT) - I still think this could be very nice and useful feature indeed
* Add swappable OPAMPs (I just can't even see if there are any OPAMPs on the card, if there are none, then we don't have anything to swap 😀 )

AWE64 Legacy