VOGONS

Reply 300 of 3174, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shock__ wrote:

seeing how the 1MB ROM content is still copyrighted (and I'm not sure if the IW78C21M1 chips come factory pre-programmed), I will be able to offer kits or partially finished boards at most

So what you're saying is that you want to sell a kit to make your own GUS compatible sound card but you have to already own a GUS to pull a part off of to make it work? 🤣

Reply 301 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
shock__ wrote:

seeing how the 1MB ROM content is still copyrighted (and I'm not sure if the IW78C21M1 chips come factory pre-programmed), I will be able to offer kits or partially finished boards at most

So what you're saying is that you want to sell a kit to make your own GUS compatible sound card but you have to already own a GUS to pull a part off of to make it work? 🤣

Yes ... now gimme all your GUSes so I can build mine! Or better read the rest of the thread, there's been a bit of development on that.
One being to possibly license the ROM content from the original creator (I've contacted them but didn't get a reply yet), provide people with a method on how to clone their ROMs (which they must have in their possession and would leave the card from which the ROM is cloned intact) or something else I don't want to disclose publically yet.

Negative attitude ftw 😀

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 302 of 3174, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shock__ wrote:

Yes ... now gimme all your GUSes so I can build mine!

Just can't help but post some [on|off]topic madskillz 😀
2p4KGWSRtWc.jpg

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 303 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OMG ... that character is called "cats" and one of the project's QA managers is a cat (see blog) ... Internet confirmed.

[Z?]

Reply 304 of 3174, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
shock__ wrote:

I doubt that would be the final solution, as nobody in their right might would scavenge parts off of a working GUS to put them on a GUS clone.

*shudders* Would they?

My GUS is staying put where it is, but I'd love a clone to use for a second system. 😀

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 305 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As said ... we're working on a solution for that - but we won't spread around material that is still copyrighted, even when it's 20 year old stuff that might be considered "abandonware" by some, especially when the copyright holder still is in the business and hasn't given consent that their stuff may be copied to ones heart's content.

[Z?]

Reply 306 of 3174, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shock__ wrote:

As said ... we're working on a solution for that - but we won't spread around material that is still copyrighted, even when it's 20 year old stuff that might be considered "abandonware" by some, especially when the copyright holder still is in the business and hasn't given consent that their stuff may be copied to ones heart's content.

I totally understand that. I assume you have contacted Kensington Computer Products Group concerning this? Seeing as it's a product that hasn't been manufactured for more than 20 years, I would imagine it might be possible to get permission to use the ROM content for a fan project. I doubt there is any chance what so ever, that they will ever consider making new GUS cards themselves.

Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 307 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LunarG wrote:
shock__ wrote:

I totally understand that. I assume you have contacted Kensington Computer Products Group concerning this? Seeing as it's a product that hasn't been manufactured for more than 20 years, I would imagine it might be possible to get permission to use the ROM content for a fan project. I doubt there is any chance what so ever, that they will ever consider making new GUS cards themselves.

I contacted Voice Crystal (http://www.voicecrystal.com/services.htm) since they designed the SoundBank and are still offering an upgraded version in SoundFont format these days for $15

EDIT: they replied and seem very cooperative 😀

[Z?]

Reply 308 of 3174, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shock__ wrote:
LunarG wrote:
shock__ wrote:

I contacted Voice Crystal (http://www.voicecrystal.com/services.htm) since they designed the SoundBank and are still offering an upgraded version in SoundFont format these days for $15

EDIT: they replied and seem very cooperative 😀

Ahh, right. Cool 😀

Reply 309 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got an extremely generous donation from a member of the German DOSForum, a P120 based test plattform, a Reveal WAVEextreme 32 (InterWave without RAM) and a MED3201 (InterWave LC without RAM).
Started testing the GUS PnP Pro with 8MB RAM, as that will be my first candidate for transplanting the newer AKC revision of the InterWave.

Here's what I tested:
Second Reality
Crystal Dream 2
Impulse Tracker & Fast Tracker 2 (1MB, 32 channel .xm)
Digital Player Pro & Inertia Player (.mod/.s3m)
Epic Pinball & Jazz Jackrabbit (prepgame)
Heretic & Doom2 (Ultrasound digital sound & Midis using the classic patches)
Duke3d & ROTT (same as above, but with the Ultrasound IRQ set to 5 [skips/hangs/rejects a higher IRQ])
Wolfenstein 3D with MegaEm (sounds terrible but works)
Windows 3.11 drivers

Anything else I should test before hand?

[Z?]

Reply 310 of 3174, by wbc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shock__ wrote:

Anything else I should test before hand?

more games and demoscene stuff 😉 For example, you can test prods using GUSPLAY\MXMPLAY\MIDAS\IMS music systems, for example:
show by majic 12(uses GusPlay)
Lasse Reinbøng by Cubic Team & $eeN (uses early version of MXMPLAY\IMS, as I know)
Outside by Melon Dezign (uses MIDAS)
...and anything else in MS-Dos/gus category on pouet 😀

--wbcbz7

Reply 311 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wbc wrote:

...and anything else in MS-Dos/gus category on pouet 😀

That would be like ... 5000 demos? I think not 😉
But I'll try the 3 you named, even tho I'm not sure the system is strong enough to handle the last one.

[Z?]

Reply 312 of 3174, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would also suggest a second block with Win95 drivers:
1. Some Win95 games, including those using DirectSound.
2. Some of the mentioned games and apps in DOS window while in Win95 with GSFULL4M.FFF patch set.
3. The same as above but with Utopia Sound Bank.

Apart from that I would recommend a resource containing some configuration issues (and covering both original GUS PnP Pro and STB/Compaq clone using the AKC revision): http://www.flaterco.com/kb/audio/ISA/index.html

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 313 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

show & lasse reinbong work, outside pauses right at the start "couldn't allocate a memory-block"

EDIT: used this one instead for a MIDAS demo
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=58603

EDIT2: Z (Miles Sound System) also working nicely.
Since I can't install Win98 on this box and can't easily adapt the GUS PnP to 16MB (don't wanna solder 2 more sockets on there - which also would case the card to not fit my system anymore) I'll skip that for now.

So unless there's something incredibly important I forgot I'll get going to transplant the AKC variant in a few hours.

[Z?]

Reply 314 of 3174, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Star Control II works great with Ultrasound classic, but is known to be picky with the PnP setups that some late model cards used. You might want to give that a try to see how well it works. As a side bonus its some of the best tracker music in any game, so you will get to hear it at its best (if it works that is).

Reply 315 of 3174, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shock__ wrote:

So unless there's something incredibly important I forgot I'll get going to transplant the AKC variant in a few hours.

Good luck and may the force be with you!

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 316 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kodai wrote:

Star Control II works great with Ultrasound classic, but is known to be picky with the PnP setups that some late model cards used. You might want to give that a try to see how well it works. As a side bonus its some of the best tracker music in any game, so you will get to hear it at its best (if it works that is).

Confirmed as working ... had to change the GUS IRQ from 5 to 11 tho.

[Z?]

Reply 317 of 3174, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sweet! Nice to know that demo's and classics like stuff from Epic Megagames and Star Control II work. Those are the main reasons I have for being into the Ultrasound. Rock on! \m/ 😄 \m/