VOGONS

Reply 880 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's gsfull4m.fff (RAM loadable 4MB bank)
gmfull1m.ff8 is the source bank they very likely used to compile the ROM (basically the file Eye & I holds the copyright for)

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 881 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, before I stop working on this (for now) some further info I managed to pull out
sboslyrs.ini is compromised of 3 columns: Patch#, SBOS Layer, Patch name
While number and name are kinda obvious, the layer itself remains a mistery to me. Maybe one of you can figure that out ... the Programmer's guide might shed some info on that.

Makefile for SBOS has a debug option called "FAKE_ROM"
IWPATCH.C holds all information required to understand the SBOS Layer calculation ... sadly it's massively pointer ridden and at this point extends my scope for understanding C/C++

[Z?]

Reply 882 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got SBOS to compile from the source with the FAKE_ROM parameter (setting the parameter in the makefile doesn't work, you have to manually set the corresponding variable in LOADER.C).
It works with the digital parts of SBOS, even when no ROM is present. Midi doesn't work properly because the library files for SBOS (IWSB512.IWL/IWSB1024.IWL) are compiled against gmfull1m.ff8 and recompiling with gsfull4m.fff doesn't work (file is too big) - maybe BLDLIB.C/.EXE can be adjusted easily? You can still "use" an alternative RAM soundbank, but it will only play a millisecond of an instrument - if anything at all. I'll upload that version later today. It's based on an older version of SBOS that ironically doesn't even detect the ROM when present on the card (1.20 from the source vs. 1.43 [or 1.42?] that comes with the UltraSound PnP CD).

This also means: I'm done with the source ... considering I don't enjoy this stuff (peering over code, barely understanding anything and fighting with compilers) _at all_ I guess you got a bit of useful stuff out of it with ROMMAKER (that needs further research) and the "custom" SBOS that works without the ROM now being available. Maybe it helps to get one of you upcoming supercoders started ... or an established supercoder interested 😀 If anyone of you manages to get something else out of the source - give me a ring, I'd love to build up a software package for the ARGUS, but the current state of things I managed to get from the source is a mess at best (currently I'd refer to the standard GUS PnP driver package).

[Z?]

Reply 883 of 3172, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I really don't understand any of the conversation for the past few pages...but glad to see progress! =)

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 884 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Summary: The contents of the ROM can't be distributed freely. There are efforts to get license the contents, so we can provide you with pre-programmed ROMs.

On the software side there've been a few efforts to get more out of the card in case the negotiations fail:
- wbc made a program that can read out the contents of the ROM (on a commercially made InterWave card) to a file for easy individual copying. (approach 1)
- In the InterWave Software Development Kit is a program called ROMMAKER which can be potentially used to create non-copyrighted ROMs. I managed to get an .exe out of it, but the program doesn't fully work yet (needs a .cfg file) (approach 2)
- I managed to re-compile another version of SBOS, allowing the program to be run without a ROM file (usually it checks for the ROM and quits if it can't find it). It works with the digital parts of soundblaster emulation, but not the music parts.

[Z?]

Reply 885 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Custom compiled "FAKE_ROM" SBOS 1.20
Requires adjustments (of the paths) to the IWSBOS.INI file.

Turns out if you adapt your iw.ini soundblaster/gm music does work with the FAKE_ROM SBOS ... can't 100% verify it yet because I couldn't be bothered to remove the ROM IC from my GUS PnP but once the ARGUS get's it's hardware done this is something I'll certainly check.

[iwsbos]
library512=iwsb512.iwl
library1024=iwsb1024.iwl
memcfg=RAM

Attachments

• Filename
    SBOS.zip
    File size
    74.4 KiB
    Downloads
    104 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

[Z?]

Reply 886 of 3172, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Due do a lack of hardware i can't test this stuff,
is it possible to missuse Dosbox for it ? i remember i had to install a few Gravis Files to use GUS Emulation.

i installed also today the openwatcom distribution.
Maybe some one can provide me with the necessary files (GuS Development Kit Software/Source)

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 887 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOSBox works great as a platform for the SDK, it's what I used here so far.
As for testing, the ROMMAKER should work without any InterWave hardware, while SBOS and the dumper require those of course.

SDK can be downloaded here: http://dk.toastednet.org/GUS/SOURCE%20CODE/IWSDK20.ZIP
Steps required to get the SDK running (to a degree [with Borland C/C++]) here: posting.php?mode=reply&f=46&t=42431#pr482338
The scripts for building never really worked for me, but using the makefiles from their folders seems to work quite well with those steps.

[Z?]

Reply 889 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GUS MAX doesn't use the InterWave ... so it's useless for the current undertaking 😉

[Z?]

Reply 890 of 3172, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

^ supposedly gmfull1m.ff8 should be on the updated version of the CD that came with GUS PnP cards , haven't been able to locate it though yet

Is this a thing that's needed? I can dig out my gus pnp driver cdrom.

Reply 891 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenerb wrote:
keropi wrote:

^ supposedly gmfull1m.ff8 should be on the updated version of the CD that came with GUS PnP cards , haven't been able to locate it though yet

Would be cool if you could check for that file. Not that it's exactly needed.

[Z?]

Reply 892 of 3172, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shock__ wrote:
keenerb wrote:
keropi wrote:

Would be cool if you could check for that file. Not that it's exactly needed.

I didn't see it.

http://paste.ubuntu.com/15327946/ is the full dir /s listing.

Reply 893 of 3172, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shock__ wrote:

That's gsfull4m.fff (RAM loadable 4MB bank)
gmfull1m.ff8 is the source bank they very likely used to compile the ROM (basically the file Eye & I holds the copyright for)

I found the gsfull4m.fff embedded in setrom4.exe on the gus pnp disk, but it looks like that's not what you're looking for.

Reply 894 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thought so ... the info regarding gmfull1m.ff8 is probably false and/or "semi-disclosed information", as the perex.cz guy is the one that wrote the InterWave drivers for linux - whose website is the only mention of that file via google, except for some results finding parts of the sourcecode.
That file was probably distributed to OEMs at most.

gsfull4m.fff is packed inside setrom4.exe indeed.

EDIT: I'm somehow doubting the SDK will get us anywhere, IWINIT that's included is version 1.13, while the last distributed version is 2.23
SBOS also was quite outdated. Wonder if the ROMMAKER.EXE produces a valid output for use on the cards (it probably should, unless the SDK is beta grade stuff).

[Z?]

Reply 895 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, here you go: ftp://gate.perex.cz/pub/perex/ultra/soundbanks/amdrom/
I guess that clears up things a little.

[Z?]

Reply 896 of 3172, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shock__ wrote:

Well, here you go: ftp://gate.perex.cz/pub/perex/ultra/soundbanks/amdrom/
I guess that clears up things a little.

That's what I found as well. I wonder if there's a more recent version of the pnp cd than I have.

Reply 897 of 3172, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

hm whats EYE & I Productions ?
-> http://www.voicecrystal.com/ ???
Doesnt look like..

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 898 of 3172, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quick question, where are these interwave chips coming from?

Are they still being manufactured or are these old new stock?

I found a quote from some random Ultrasound PNP faq:

""A call I received last Thursday from an AMD InterWave marketing repled to my discovering that (1) there are 200,000 B-Step InterWave chips left (which no-one should use, since they have a noisey synthesizer DAC output), (2) the bug-fixed, quieter C-Step parts are not even listed any more on the AMD inventory computer (these devices were originaly allocated to STB and Compaq), (3) it is not possible for anyone to buy new C-Step parts as (4) AMD has halted ALL production of InterWave chips, and will NOT accept *any* new manufacturing orders."

Curious as to whether these 200k "b-step" chips have been floatign out there in supply channels all this time...

Reply 899 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do we know what the chips for ARGUS are? Not that there is a choice....

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website