VOGONS

Reply 920 of 3172, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Glad to hear things are going better! Yeah, and time is not importance for me either. Just nice to hear the project having some progress here and there with updates. I'll be in the middle of moving and building a new place in the next 6-9 months so not much time for hobbies!

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 921 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some more parts ordered so I can soon partially start working on the prototypes.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 922 of 3172, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shock__ wrote:

Some more parts ordered so I can soon partially start working on the prototypes.

Really looking forward to hear recordings of the prototype-board in action, and read some prototype reviews. 😜

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 923 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great news!!!

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 924 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some minor progress on Prototype #1

AtpkBusm.jpg

Gonna pick up the remaining circuits + resistors today ... so just the caps and crystals left.

Couldn't get any SMD serial eeproms quickly, so I went with leaded ones, which is why it looks funny. Also handsoldering those SOJ RAMs is a major pain in the rear (and looks quite messy) - RAMs on the other 2 prototypes will be hot air soldered.

[Z?]

Reply 927 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bad news among the way ... turns out the approach I took for the capacitors (desoldering and measuring out of circuit) is not going to work.
i.e. the caps I'd consider decoupling measure at 0.1nF instead of 100nF, other readings barely make sense ... while I can do _some_ qualified guesses/safe assumptions I'm particularly lost with the amplifier circuits.

Anyone have any ideas what other approach might work?

On the positive side: All resistors soldered, just waiting for a 74ls32 to arrive as well as the other crystal ... then I'm done with prototype #1 ... except for the caps.

[Z?]

Reply 928 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Strange, once off-circuit you should be able to get accurate readings... maybe the tool you are using to measure is acting up?
I could never get good capacitor measurements with my digital multimeter , every other function is OK but the capacitance function is a mystery to me. On the other hand one of these cheap eBay "capacitor meters" work really good to measure capacitance. Since I got one I never tried the digital multimeter way again...

QAKzCvp.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 929 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, slightly different approach and I get readings that seem to make sense.
6 caps probably have values too low to be read out reliably, but those should be calculateable.

[Z?]

Reply 930 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Down to 6 values missing (the mentioned too small ones).
I'm gonna upload the sheet of the schematic later today which has the audio inputs/outputs + joystick port.
If anyone could verify if those values make sense that would be awesome. I'm afraid my multimeter isn't that great when measuring capacity - which lead to me assuming 1.5-1.8uF caps are actually 2.2uF and 0.85nF being 1nF.

[Z?]

Reply 931 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First one (Joystick/Midi connector):
http://i.imgur.com/nQktnP6.jpg

Measured values were ~0.85nF and 5.7-6.0nF respectively.

[Z?]

Reply 932 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And the rest:
http://i.imgur.com/sA02iFD.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/etRfOqN.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/EbTCo9O.jpg

[Z?]

Reply 933 of 3172, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice work! Keep it up!

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 934 of 3172, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:
Strange, once off-circuit you should be able to get accurate readings... maybe the tool you are using to measure is acting up? […]
Show full quote

Strange, once off-circuit you should be able to get accurate readings... maybe the tool you are using to measure is acting up?
I could never get good capacitor measurements with my digital multimeter , every other function is OK but the capacitance function is a mystery to me. On the other hand one of these cheap eBay "capacitor meters" work really good to measure capacitance. Since I got one I never tried the digital multimeter way again...

QAKzCvp.jpg

Yes I highly recommend that device. It's great for measuring all sorts of components. It even does JFET and MOSFET transistors with the appropriate firmware (which is open-source BTW).

For measuring capacitors it pays to use as short connection wires as possible; best is to plug the capacitor directly into the socket. This way you keep stray capacitances and inductances to a minimum.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 935 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those work with uF and nF caps, but certainly not pF ones.
I'll guestimate/try my luck with different values then ... or get familiar with amplifier circuits soon-ish (got sidetracked again).

[Z?]

Reply 938 of 3172, by sluggo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
stamasd wrote:
keropi wrote:
Strange, once off-circuit you should be able to get accurate readings... maybe the tool you are using to measure is acting up? […]
Show full quote

QAKzCvp.jpg

Yes I highly recommend that device. It's great for measuring all sorts of components. It even does JFET and MOSFET transistors with the appropriate firmware (which is open-source BTW).

For measuring capacitors it pays to use as short connection wires as possible; best is to plug the capacitor directly into the socket. This way you keep stray capacitances and inductances to a minimum.

If it hasn't been mentioned, measuring "large" (hundreds of uF) capacitance values is not easy to do with smaller, low voltage meters. Most of these devices use a simple RC time-constant measurement process, and the long time constant of these capacitors causes problems for devices that use coin cells or similar for a power source. Basically, the capacitor accepts charge faster than the battery can source it.

For reliable testing of high-value, low ESR caps, you need a beefier tester, or one that employs smarter charging/sampling methods. Hope this helps.

Reply 939 of 3172, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sluggo wrote:

If it hasn't been mentioned, measuring "large" (hundreds of uF) capacitance values is not easy to do with smaller, low voltage meters. Most of these devices use a simple RC time-constant measurement process, and the long time constant of these capacitors causes problems for devices that use coin cells or similar for a power source. Basically, the capacitor accepts charge faster than the battery can source it.

For reliable testing of high-value, low ESR caps, you need a beefier tester, or one that employs smarter charging/sampling methods. Hope this helps.

I hope none of them uses coin cells. That's the most readily available cheap meter and it's powered by a 9V battery. No guarantees about accuracy into hundreds of uF or otherwise, but seems to work OK.

My big-red-switch 486