VOGONS

Simmconn AWE64 Adapter

Topic actions

Reply 540 of 549, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just wondering if it actually did cost less than buying from Serge 😀 I highly doubt it.. I want to make one of my own some day for fun, but I think it would be more hassle than it's worth tbh.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 541 of 549, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2021-03-15, 06:11:

Just wondering if it actually did cost less than buying from Serge 😀 I highly doubt it.. I want to make one of my own some day for fun, but I think it would be more hassle than it's worth tbh.

Looking at the BOM if you only need one piece shipping is probably going to ruin the value of making your own but if you have multiple cards or make some for your friends as well I think you're going to save quite a bit.
Serge is running a business and has to make a profit, doesn't he?

Reply 542 of 549, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-03-15, 07:56:

Looking at the BOM if you only need one piece shipping is probably going to ruin the value of making your own but if you have multiple cards or make some for your friends as well I think you're going to save quite a bit.

I'm pretty sure it's as much a hobby as it is a business for him, it's not his source of main income for sure. I'd wager he makes little money from it if any, he's an extremely generous chap.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 543 of 549, by mt777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Recently I bought original SIMCONN module.
I wonder why I see around that straight vertical or angle socket is used (instead aligned horizontally with pcb to save space) ?
I replaced it immediately in my module.

Reply 544 of 549, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2021-03-15, 11:02:
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-03-15, 07:56:

I'm pretty sure it's as much a hobby as it is a business for him, it's not his source of main income for sure. I'd wager he makes little money from it if any, he's an extremely generous chap.

Certainly. Judging from the thread here it seems he's also got A++ service which isn't to be taken for granted at what I guesstimate are his profit margins on something like the AWE64 Simmconn.
I guess if you buy something simple like this adaptor you also support the more complex projects he's got going on.

But if I was going to need 5-10pcs of the Simmconn I'd spend ca. 20-25€ (including shipping cost) plus 10-15min assembly time each if I odered PCBs and parts and assembled them myself.
The ca. 24-29€ difference to the 49€ sales price per unit is obviously not going to be Serge's net profit. (And if it was, good on him! I'm not hating. His shop is cool.) But it would be my net savings.
So assuming you need a few Simmconns if you are handy with a soldering iron and if you can do without product support there is definitely saving potential.

Reply 545 of 549, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wiretap wrote on 2021-03-15, 02:26:

Oh, I'll also note that I tried to program the Lattice 16V8 PAL chips in the TL866II-Plus programmer, and it didn't have that chip listed and other supposedly compatible GAL/PAL chips would erase it but then get a memory error upon programming. (unless there's another trick I don't know)

The Atmel 16v8 PAL chip I have listed at the end of the BOM and in the Mouser cart will work, and I have successfully programmed with the Gold and Value JEDEC files using the TL866II-Plus.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/556-AF16V8C7JU

when you select the ATF16V8 in the XGPro software there is not a PLCC package option - did it work using the standard chip definition in the included PLCC to DIP-20 adapter?

Reply 546 of 549, by RobDos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-11-13, 20:31:

I think you need a new PAL fisherman

Can you elaborate what you mean by that? I have a dead awe64 and I'm wondering if that's part of it?

P3 Slot 1 - 512MB PC100 - 128GB SSD - RADEON 9200 SE , SB Awe64 ISA - GOTEK MOD

Reply 547 of 549, by moejoe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got my SIMMConn yesterday. I had some random 32MB SIMMs left so it was a bit of a shot in the dark, but so far I couldn't spot any issues with this SIMM - but I only tested it with Imago Orpheus, only using a fraction of the memory (as it's an AWE64 Value, most tracks previously didn't play properly because they used more than 512KB of samples - so I can confirm that the SIMM is definitely being made use of). The SIMM has a number of NEC 424100-60 and 4217400-60 chips, 24 in total (so I suppose it's 16 regular memory chips + 8 chips for parity?). Judging from the labels, the part number of this SIMM appears to be Compaq 139973-002. I have attached a picture of the SIMM for comparison.

Attachments

Reply 548 of 549, by Hirsch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got a used SIMMConn Revival on Ebay and it took some time to get it running. First of all I can confirm that PALCE16V8H chips from Lattice and AMD work with the SIMMConn. (I got them cheap on Ebay.) I programmed them with a Galep 5 programmer. The SIMMConn works without any problem on my CT4500 using a PAL programmed with VALUE.JED and a 32MB memory from SIMMConn recommendation list (HY5117400CJ-60). The same memory is not recognized on a CT4390 using a PAL programmed with GOLD.JED. I've tried all different jumper settings (including one jumper connecting "3" of JP1 and JP2), the CT4390 recognized 8MB, 16MB or nothing. The solution for the CT4390 was using a PAL programmed with ALL.JED and using one jumper connecting "3" of JP1 and JP2. The CT4390 recognizes the 32MB stick using this setup.

Reply 549 of 549, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Simmconn is finally available again as
separate card : https://www.serdashop.com/SIMMCONN
and as bundle : https://www.serdashop.com/SimmconnBundle

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !