Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 121 of 128, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like it is working to me. Without the cable connected, you would need to use DDMA or DSMA.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 122 of 128, by ynopot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-07-15, 15:31:

Looks like it is working to me. Without the cable connected, you would need to use DDMA or DSMA.

is it addressed to me?
if so, did you solder the SB-Link connector to the ECS P6IPAT?
I am confused that the game Duke Nukem 3D in Windows 98 reboots the system.

I am now re-reading this YMF744, DOS, no DMA? (PC/PCI, SB-link tests) (edit YES DMA, read further down)
Tomorrow I plan to test the games that are mentioned there.

I also have an unopened Terratec 128I PCI for testing, but I'm not sure if the SB-Link connector is soldered on it.

Reply 123 of 128, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ynopot wrote on 2022-07-15, 13:44:
I tried, but I still don't understand if it works How can i check? Duke 3D keeps crashing WIN98 […]
Show full quote

I tried, but I still don't understand if it works
How can i check?
Duke 3D keeps crashing WIN98

Without cable connected.
no_sb-link.jpg
With cable connected.
with_sb-link.jpg

Are you running it in DOS mode?

Reply 124 of 128, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If anyone has a 6M815E motherboard and has been having problems getting SB-Link to work, I've discovered that the motherboard SB-Link header swaps the GNT/REQ lines on pins 2 and 4.
Running the ICH2 modified SetupDS with a regular cable will result in it being unable to find a usable DMA, but swap those pins on the cable and it just works.

Reply 126 of 128, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dant wrote on 2020-04-11, 01:59:

There appears to be solder pads for SB-Link on the Intel D850EMV2. Its the right configuration of pins and given its proximity to the ICH2, I'm inclined to think its PC/PCI.

s-l1600.jpg
D850EMV2 PCPCI.PNG

Sorry to necro a year-old thread, but I've got an update here. I've soldered a PC-PCI header to an Intel D850MD and it works flawlessly with a YMF724 card. Well, as well as you'd expect a YMF card connected through PC-PCI to work. That was a proof-of-concept to both see it working and teach myself how to solder before I mod my much harder to find D850EMVR. Now if only I could figure out something better than desoldering wick for getting the solder out of the filled holes...

Reply 128 of 128, by Mitch1819

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I have been looking for a socket 478 motherboard with a PC/PCI connector for a little while for a win98 build in the hope of getting good DOS sound compatibility with a YMF924 PCI sound card and I have found this one which has a promising yet unlabeled connector next to the PCI slots. Can anyone confirm that this is indeed a 5pin SB-link compatible header? The motherboard in question is a Matsonic MS9337C for which I have not been able to find any documentation...

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    216.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain