Reply 200 of 232, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hard1k wrote:

Finally found and received the perfect host card for the X2 for me! 😀
Please meet the OOAOO SQ2500 Pro!

Tell us about it. I don't know anything about it. What sort of OPL does it support? What makes it the perfect host card for you? 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 201 of 232, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, it seems the most appropriate Vortex2 card - the latest revision of the AU8830 chip, the S/PDIF out capability, and black PCB in line with the X2 (even with a similar finish).
To my mind Aureal-based cards are not only ideal for Win9x retro gaming (thanks to their awesome A3D support) but for DOS as well (if we're limited to a PCI card, of course). That's thanks to their good SB Pro emulation without any need for EMM386 and support for MPU-401 emulation for the wavetable header. The only drawback so far is the mediocre OPL3 emulation, but that can be corrected by a driver which is under development currently, look here: ASP403 - The Neverending Project

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 202 of 232, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
hard1k wrote:

To my mind Aureal-based cards are not only ideal for Win9x retro gaming (thanks to their awesome A3D support) but for DOS as well (if we're limited to a PCI card, of course). That's thanks to their good SB Pro emulation without any need for EMM386 and support for MPU-401 emulation for the wavetable header.

I agree! A Vortex 2 is something I recommend to anyone who is wondering about getting one 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 203 of 232, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
hard1k wrote:

To my mind Aureal-based cards are not only ideal for Win9x retro gaming (thanks to their awesome A3D support) but for DOS as well (if we're limited to a PCI card, of course). That's thanks to their good SB Pro emulation without any need for EMM386 and support for MPU-401 emulation for the wavetable header.

I agree! A Vortex 2 is something I recommend to anyone who is wondering about getting one 😀

Hey, Phil! How come you still haven't made a review video for X2? 😀

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 204 of 232, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jheronimus wrote:

Hey, Phil! How come you still haven't made a review video for X2? 😀

Kangaroos are slow in delivering packages 🤣

Reply 206 of 232, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Why are you using a Roo when you could be using a Dingo?

Roos have a built-in pouch for packages, Dingo's do not.
At least He's not using a Koala, it would be 2025 before it arrived.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 208 of 232, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Eendje wrote:

What's the purpose of the 3.5mm headphones jack on the X2?

it is a line out connection (not amplified).
--> X2 can be used as USB MIDI device as well, you just plug it in usb and a new MIDI device will be available in your OS.
In that case you need the line out connection (connected to your speakers for example) to hear the music, if you play MIDI to it.

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 209 of 232, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So can I plug the card to a waveblaster connector and use the USB connector at the same time?
I could not find any information on this in the manual.

Also on a few card it's mechanically not possible to plug USB and on Waveblaster at the same time, like on the Terratec Base-1.

Has anyone tested the USB features in Win98SE yet?
What USB is required (1.0, 1.1 ?)?

What is the reason that the X2Upload works through MIDI provided by USB only and not through MIDI provided by the Waveblaster connector (through a sound card) ?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 210 of 232, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Through the USB you can access directly the MPU and its memory. The waveblaster connector doesn't have a channel for communication with the MPU directly. It only conveys MIDI data and audio signals.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 211 of 232, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see. The older Dream DSPs had the direct mode access through their MPU-0401 usually connected to the Waveblaster. So on the X2 it's not equivalent?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel

Reply 212 of 232, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Eilanda,

USB and Waveblaster midi can in theory be used simultaneously, the midi commands are merged.
I did test this and it works, but generally not recommended, especially from 2 different PC's,
as you must take care avoiding ground loop paths when connecting two devices.
So I'd say in general, not recommended, handle with care.

Soundbank and preset updating is only tested using USB.
In theory it could work on TTL MIDI as well with the dream chip, but the waveblaster interface is unidirectional (only receives MIDI data),
and the update protocol needs both send and received. Furthermore, the default buffersizes for the midi protocol may be too small,
compared to the USB allocated buffers.

Reply 213 of 232, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

Tried connecting it to two Windows 98SE machines, both detected it as an USB audio device but I got a blue screen after the driver installed.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 214 of 232, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dreamblaster wrote:
Soundbank and preset updating is only tested using USB. In theory it could work on TTL MIDI as well with the dream chip, but th […]
Show full quote

Soundbank and preset updating is only tested using USB.
In theory it could work on TTL MIDI as well with the dream chip, but the waveblaster interface is unidirectional (only receives MIDI data),
and the update protocol needs both send and received. Furthermore, the default buffersizes for the midi protocol may be too small,
compared to the USB allocated buffers.

Thanks for clarification.
Currently X2Upload reports that it can not find the Dream DSP on Win98SE through the Waveblaster MPU-401 interface of the Terratec Base-1 (AD SoundPort Codec).

Youtube Channel

Reply 215 of 232, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kamerat wrote:
elianda wrote:

Tried connecting it to two Windows 98SE machines, both detected it as an USB audio device but I got a blue screen after the driver installed.

Bummer. It does the same thing for me. The weird thing is that last year I had the X2 Prototype running in Windows 98. I remember being really impressed by that. I can't remember what machine it was though, if it was USB 1 or 2.

Reply 216 of 232, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Had some time to play with the software. I settled on Boombastic, but with the LessIsMore reverb and chorus settings. Great feature! Thank you, Serge.

Reply 217 of 232, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

Had some time to play with the software. I settled on Boombastic, but with the LessIsMore reverb and chorus settings. Great feature! Thank you, Serge.

That's great, thanks, would you upload your favourite preset to this thread ?

Reply 218 of 232, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dreamblaster wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

That's great, thanks, would you upload your favourite preset to this thread ?

Sure, but it's pretty simple for someone to recreate. 😀 Just load Boombastic, then change the reverb to 50 and chorus to 25.

BTW, I had a problem with X2UPLOAD. I'm doing this in Windows XP, and the Reboot button didn't seem to do anything after clicking Update. I had to unplug and replug the X2 in order for the change to take effect. Could it be an issue with XP?

Reply 219 of 232, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

Sure, but it's pretty simple for someone to recreate. 😀 Just load Boombastic, then change the reverb to 50 and chorus to 25.
BTW, I had a problem with X2UPLOAD. I'm doing this in Windows XP, and the Reboot button didn't seem to do anything after clicking Update. I had to unplug and replug the X2 in order for the change to take effect. Could it be an issue with XP?

What did not work ?
Reboot sends a command to X2, which makes X2 reboot instantly. In windows 7 you hear a 'ping' of the usb device being detected again.
It should work on windows XP just as well, but the XP usb driver may respond differently on the quick reboot. In case the usb device is not detected anymore,
unplugging + replugging may be a good alternative. But generally it should work.