VOGONS

First post, by ocdmonkey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I used the ctcm program and the card works perfectly for DOS games and Windows 3.1 system sounds, and a few Windows 3.1 programs like a video viewer, but I've tried You Don't Know Jack volume 2 and King's Quest 7, and both refuse to work with the sound card. Typically they crash and play a chittering sound (I'm uploading a video of this now), but sometimes I'll just get faint pops from the speakers and they will just hang at the end of animations until I press the esc key (In KQ7's case, at least). One time it also gave me just a one note, not terribly high pitched scream. Any ideas what might be the problem? I've tried messing with the DMA settings with the ctcu program, but the only difference I've managed with that is that now the card won't work under DOS until I reconfigure it in ctcu again (probably a problem with the autoexec.bat I'm assuming). I've also tried disabling one by one any sound related drivers in Windows 3.1 as well as messing with any sound files I could find, but the only thing that accomplished was occasionally switching which kind of error I got.s

EDIT: Here's a video of the most common error: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQmSckPeQvI

EDIT2: I also get squeaking noises from the speakers when certain applications are running, like when HIMEM is testing the memory.

Reply 1 of 5, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Share your AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS

Also for your himem.sys line in config.sys, add /Q /TESTMEM:OFF

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 2 of 5, by ocdmonkey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Autoexec.bat:

@ECHO OFF

SET CTCM=C:\CTCM
C:\CTCM\CTCU /S /W=C:\WINDOWS
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A240 I5 D0 H0 P330 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S /W=C:\WINDOWS
REM ** SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D0 H0 P330 T6
REM ** SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:G
REM ** C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S /W=C:\WINDOWS
C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P /Q
C:\SB16\SB16SET /P
PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\DOS
SET TEMP=C:\DOS
loadhigh c:\dos\mscdex.exe /d:mscd001
c:\dos\ctmouse.exe

SET DIRCMD=/P /A

cls

PROMPT $p$g

Config.sys:

REM ** DEVICEHIGH=C:\CTCM\CTCM.EXE
DEVICE=C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.exe RAM /MIN=0
DEVICEHIGH /L:1 =C:\DOS\DISPLAY.SYS CON=(EGA,,2)
DEVICEHIGH /L:1 =C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS
DEVICEHIGH=c:\dos\cdromdrv.sys /d:mscd001
DOS=HIGH,UMB
STACKS=9,256
FILES=40
SHELL=C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM C:\DOS /E:1024 /P

They are a little messy because I've been messing with them like crazy trying to get it to work. I'm assuming the commenting out ctcm.exe is why I have to manually set up the card.

Also, in Windows 3.1's SYSTEM.INI, when I had it automatically set up the drivers after installing the DOS drivers, I had to manually edit the file because this line was in it twice: device=vsbpd.386

Reply 3 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IRQ conflict ? Please check [sndblst.drv] section in system.ini.
If that's not the case, then maybe support for 16Bit DMA is broken ?

Sorry, don't know. I rarely mess around with Creative drivers (that's why I also prefer CT1xxxx models).
Or maybe another driver works better with your system. As a last resort, try those for Win-OS/2.
http://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Instal … tive_Labs_Audio

Maybe it's nothing, but I heard some 486 clones had trouble with some software.
Quite possible that these badly written drivers from that company do trigger unexpected conditions.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 5, by ocdmonkey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is the sndblst.drv sections of my SYSTEM.INI:

[sndblst.drv]
DisableMidiPort=0
PnpFlag=1
Port=240
Int=5
DmaChannel=0
MidiPort=330
HDmaChannel=1
FDMAPlayBack=0
FDMARecording=0
MicVolume=16
SpeakerVolume=16
MuteVirtual=10
OutputMixerSwitch=6
AGC=0
Mux_WaveIn=1e
VoiceVolume=16, 16
FMVolume=16, 16
CDVolume=16, 16
LineVolume=16, 16
MasterVolume=16, 16

I figured it was an IRQ conflict as well, though I haven't tested that yet because no IRQs are available below 5, and if I go above 5 Wolfenstine 3D won't work. I remember having this exact symptom with Windows 3.1 under DOSBox, and there I resolved it by turning off the PCjr/Tandy speaker emulation (I think). Here, though, I have an HP Vectra VL so there isn't a Tandy chip causing an issue.

EDIT: The only other IRQ that it gives me that doesn't conflict with anything is 10, and it gives me the same result.

EDIT 2: I get squeaking noise from my speakers whenever the hard drive (CF card) is being accessed. I can't imagine this is normal?

EDIT 3: Oooook, I got it working this time. I found an .iso file containing the ViBRA16 driver on Vogons' Vintage driver library (link here: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=7 ), which installs it via a Windows installer (though it doesn't give you any error if you try to run it from DOS) and I was able to boot up KQ7 and hear that nostalgic Sierra fanfare! =) Thanks for your guy's help! The only other problem I seem to still have is that the Windows 3.1 system sounds are still really quiet.

To anyone else who might encounter this problem, I was using the driver from Creative's website, which I was advised to do in a guide on how to use PnP Soundblaster cards on DOS.

EDIT 4: Actually, now DOS games are quiet too. Windows applications seem to be the only ones at normal volume.

EDIT 5: Found that I had to use the mixer it had installed for Windows. Everything seems to be normal now!

Reply 5 of 5, by CaelThunderwing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

while bit of a Necro, i just encountered myself w/ the "SB16 Installation Disks" on the Driver library. i was having the exact same issue except the sound was causing the PC to lock up entirely, grabbed the ISO linked copied over, and it worked!