VOGONS

First post, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, installing an SB16- late model, 2950- in order to use it alongside another audio card because I want that sweet stereo sound.
It uh, makes Doom slowdown. Not absurdly bad, but dangit I just bought a new VLB card /specifically/ to speed Doom up and this nerfs it, slowing it to as much as /5300. realtics for 3863 gameticks.

Without sound, 4512.
With the Aztech card, mentioned in another thread, I get around 4700.

Is this just par for the course for these later cards, or am I missing something? This is with EMM386 off and no TSRs running.

E: Turning music off does not change anything, it's digital sound that's causing it.
E2: Aztech card results in.. 4862, double checked that.

Is it simply due to stereo sound requiring more CPU?

Reply 1 of 14, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it's the audio channels getting mixed that takes CPU time. Try configuring it with less voices / channels to see if it speeds things up?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SRQ wrote:

Is this just par for the course for these later cards, or am I missing something? This is with EMM386 off and no TSRs running.

I agree with Phil - Say, what happens without EMM386 loaded ? You've got a new VLB card, so I assume it's a 486 rig, right ?
Early 486 processors may get slowed down a little bit by V86 (UMBPCI might work if it is a VIP board; QEMM and URAM+HiRAM, etc. are also alternatives).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 14, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote:
SRQ wrote:

I agree with Phil - Say, what happens without EMM386 loaded ? You've got a new VLB card, so I assume it's a 486 rig, right ?
Early 486 processors may get slowed down a little bit by V86 (UMBPCI might work if it is a VIP board; QEMM and URAM+HiRAM, etc. are also alternatives).

All testing was done without any memory manager, or anything running at all- hitting F8 and pressing N a whole bunch :p The part of my post you quoted actually says that...
All testing was done with 8 voices- Aztech and SB16. Is the SB16 doing 8 /stereo/ voices and doubling the amount of processing needed?

Reply 4 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SRQ wrote:

All testing was done without any memory manager, or anything running at all- hitting F8 and pressing N a whole bunch :p The part of my post you quoted actually says that...
All testing was done with 8 voices- Aztech and SB16. Is the SB16 doing 8 /stereo/ voices and doubling the amount of processing needed?

Sorry, missed the "off" part.. 😅 I'm reading this on a 15" screen right now and have to zoom out, so I can see the thread in a whole.
The slowdown then might be related to how the sound blasters work, dunno.
Maybe the Aztech is more efficient in native mode then (in case the game you ran did make use of it).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 14, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any improvement if you OC the ISA bus?
If it's a DX2-66 or DX4-100 (3x33), then the next step down on the ISA divider takes it from 8.25MHz to 11MHz - most cards can deal with that.
If it's at 40 base, then the next step takes ISA from 8MHz (/5) to 10MHz (/4)

Reply 7 of 14, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The ISA clock divider is usually available in BIOS, it's possible that it may be hidden and set automatically, but I seem to recall it being available on everything I remember. For AMI BIOS, under advanced chipset setup

One other thing comes to mind, does Doom use DOS/4GW? - it might be more efficient with DOS/32A which can apparently work as a drop-in replacement for DOS/4GW - If it is, you'll probably see the DOS/4GW version banner at the start.

Reply 9 of 14, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh it's only a 66? Not sure what you expected.

Yea that isn't going to cut it I'm afraid. You can reduce the details and make the window smaller to get better FPS.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 11 of 14, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A good score for a DX2/66 on Doom timedemo is about 25 fps (74690 gameticks / ~3000 realticks). That's a good benchmark to compare to. Just run from Phil's DOS benchmark kit, it's already preconfigured and easy to run. I managed 27 fps on mine with tweaked BIOS timings and a Cirrus Logic GD5424 VLB.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 13 of 14, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SB16 would also be capable of higher sample rates, but if I remember correctly, it doesn't matter anyway because Doom is hard coded to initialize its sound system at 11KHz. Which is amusing, since there are a handful of 22KHz sound effects in Doom 2. Namely, the reloading sound effects of the Super Shotgun. Doom 95 was hard coded to assume all sound effects were the same sample rate as the mixer, so there was no pitch variation, and the Super Shotgun was slowed down to half speed.