VOGONS

First post, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Imagine that you are bound to use only one ISA sound card in your retro rig. What would you choose then? For the sake of experiment let's assume you can easily afford any sound card, even the notoriously expensive AdLib Gold. Also you have all the genies to your service that'll bring you any extinct or nearly inexistent sound card.

For others to better understand your motives, it helps if you enumerate at least a few DOS games you intend to play with that one sound card.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 1 of 54, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can I have 2 choices.. but only because I haven't tested my second probably "only one card" choice?

1. Opti 930 based card with OPL3 and onboard wavetable.
Reason: I've had one of these cards since about 1996. I never ran into a game I wanted to play that it didn't work with.

2. Turtle Beach Tropez Classic
Reason: It is supposed to be one of the best compatibility-wise and it has a very good onboard wavetable, has OPL3, and has 30-pin simm slots that you can load samples on, even in DOS. I haven't tested this card yet as I have too much other stuff going on, but as of now those are my top choices.

That being said, I would probably want at least 2-3 sound cards in any one build depending on what it was going to be used for.

One other thing to mention is the chosen ISA card really depends on what speed of computer you are running as some of them are speed sensitive and can only be used with slower systems.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 54, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One soundcard mostly means a small one. That's very tricky.

- OPL3
- Digisound in stereo
- full mpu401 interface for mt32, or internal wavetable header

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 3 of 54, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd hate to be so limited, mostly because of its weaker MIDI interface, but I think I'd be 95% happy with an SB16 CT2940 OPL w/ Roland SCB-55 daughterboard and an MT32 or CM-32L externally. I'd take an AWE64 with external modules, too; better for some things and worse for others. Always considering the full range from, like, Wing Commander to Duke Nukem 3D - nothing fancy.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 4 of 54, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd probably cheat and go with a sound card featuring two chipsets. GUS Extreme!

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 54, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
James-F wrote:
bristlehog wrote:

Imagine that you are bound to use only one ISA sound card in your retro rig..

No.

Why don't we have a like button on this forum?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 54, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

Please enlighten me! Is there a soundcard that can act as an intelligent MPU device without things like SoftMPU?

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 10 of 54, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jheronimus wrote:
dr.zeissler wrote:

Please enlighten me! Is there a soundcard that can act as an intelligent MPU device without things like SoftMPU?

Wouldn't it be great to make one?

Reply 11 of 54, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My favourites change over time but my front runners are usually clones, and either ESS ES1688 or Crystal CS423X based. Both do lovely SB Pro 2 and WSS support is valueable in my mind. Both need a Wavetable DB slapped on of course but I didn't see anything forbidding that in the OP!

P1020801_zpscmstmy2q.jpg

P1020810_zpsvg3hsflp.jpg

P1020819_zpszpazyxpz.jpg

OR

DSCN2842_zpsqynl2h4f.jpg

DSCN2834_zpsfaa1oryc.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 12 of 54, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AWE64 Gold + MIDI armada is what I use now and I'm happy with that.

Pretty much 90% of games that interest me support MIDI, so the Sound Blaster is just for digital basically.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 13 of 54, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A SB16 of some kind and a Yamaha DB50XG if I was stuck with only one card. That setup is pretty much what I used for most of my DOS gaming back in the day (I had used a Reveal Ensoniq and other Reveal cards before that). I do kind of like the SBPro 2 for earlier games.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 14 of 54, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:
My favourites change over time but my front runners are usually clones, and either ESS ES1688 or Crystal CS423X based. Both do l […]
Show full quote

My favourites change over time but my front runners are usually clones, and either ESS ES1688 or Crystal CS423X based. Both do lovely SB Pro 2 and WSS support is valueable in my mind. Both need a Wavetable DB slapped on of course but I didn't see anything forbidding that in the OP!

P1020801_zpscmstmy2q.jpg

Excellent, the legendary Acer S23.

Reply 15 of 54, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think my choice would be a Creative Sound Blaster card from the same generation as the hardware I would use, In this case I have a Sound Blaster AWE64 in my Celeron-433 Rig.

I never really cared for audio quality in DOS gaming due to it being a semi-recent interest so I don't have any complaints about its OPL3 emulation system, Plus I don't have a good speaker system reserved for older systems because I use them only once in a while, the mono-speaker that's built into that computer's case seems to be all I use with it most of the time.

Reply 16 of 54, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any SB/SB Pro compatible with real OPL3, bug-free MPU-401 interface and correctly located WB connector. I hope i can use DB by rules?
My current Aztech Washington 16 matches.

Games? Gazilions of DOS games ofcourse.
Oh, ok, my favorites for atleast twenty years:

DOOM I/II, Heretic, Hexen
Descent
Dark Forces
Duke Nukem 3D
Quake
Commander Keen 4-6
Bio Menace
Lost Vikings
Hocus Pocus
Litil Divil
Supaplex
Another World
Flashback
Terminator: Future Shock/Skynet
Wolfenstein 3D/Spear Of Destiny
Electro Body/Electro Man
Blackthorne
Prehistorik II
Jazz Jackrabbit (sounds quite good even with no gus, imo)

Attachments

• aztech_ w16.jpg
    Filename
    aztech_ w16.jpg
    File size
    1.31 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 18 of 54, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

AWE64 Gold + MIDI armada is what I use now and I'm happy with that.

Pretty much 90% of games that interest me support MIDI, so the Sound Blaster is just for digital basically.

I guess I'm a weirdo preferring FM for a lot of games.

Reply 19 of 54, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aleksej wrote:

Any SB/SB Pro compatible with real OPL3, bug-free MPU-401 interface and correctly located WB connector. I hope i can use DB by rules?
My current Aztech Washington 16 matches.

+1
Also Multimedia 16 ABI/ABO which is virtually the same card, or Audician 32 Plus.
These will cover a lot of DOS ground.

Say aleksej.
Supaplex freezes with the Aztech MM 16 ABI on my Pentium-100 machine, but not the Audician 32.
What machine are you running your Washington 16?
In my system all my Aztech cards will freeze with Supaplex and Prince of Persia 1.

my important / useful posts are here