VOGONS

First post, by voodoo47

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

so I was thinking this board could make a nice tiny voodoo box, and while it doesn't officially support win9x, I was able to get all the devices running with drivers from the sis webpage (well, "motherboard resources" have an exclamation mark, but I'm pretty sure it's some ACPI thing I don't really care about - acpi\pnp0c02\10), with the exception of the audio (pci\ven_1039&dev_7012&subsys_d61f8086) - after installing the latest AC97 driver (A4.06), audio properties in device manager show the following;

the ntkern.vxd, mmdevldr.vxd device loader(s) for this device could not load the device driver. (code 2)

ideas? DX8.2 is installed, graphics/chipset drivers as well (SiS 662/964), nothing else for the moment.

thanks.

//solved - the correct driver had to be installed (AD1888 win98se driver for msi 845pev2 adi1888_7154_98.zip).

Last edited by voodoo47 on 2017-07-20, 11:50. Edited 3 times in total.

3Dfx Help Page

Reply 1 of 16, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

An Intel board with a sis chipset? Now that's odd.

Anyway are you sure you used the right drivers? also try disabling ACPI on the bios if you think the one problems is do to ACPI.

Reply 4 of 16, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried both WDM and VxD drivers? Got sound working myself on a socket 754 board with the 964L southbridge. The VxD driver is in the win95_98 folder.

How much RAM do you got in the system?

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 16, by voodoo47

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the 4.06 win98/me driver is wdm only, I believe (but they do provide a vxd driver as well, though marked win95 only - maybe I'll try anyway). the system has 512MB of ram.

Last edited by voodoo47 on 2017-07-19, 12:21. Edited 1 time in total.

3Dfx Help Page

Reply 6 of 16, by voodoo47

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

same behavior with the wdm driver under winme (the ntkern.vxd, mmdevldr.vxd error). the vxd driver can be loaded via the device manager and shows as working properly, but there is still no sound (both win98se and winme).

looks like I'm screwed, unless I manage to find some magical driver that would work somewhere.

3Dfx Help Page

Reply 7 of 16, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have a look at page 45 of the manual, are your front panel audio header configured correctly?

BTW, I used the "SiS7012 Audio Driver" montioned on the front page.

YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 16, by voodoo47

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yes, hw wise, everything is set up properly - if I boot to the xp drive, everything works fine.

tried to force down the sis7012 driver, and again, the device looks fine, but there is no sound. guess I'l just keep downloading and installing random drivers until I get bored. was hoping that someone would be familiar with the ntkern.vxd, mmdevldr.vxd error, but no luck I suppose.

3Dfx Help Page

Reply 9 of 16, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe it boils down to the audio codec in use, your board got the ADI AD1888 while mine got a Realtek one.

Perhaps an USB sound stick are an option if you're using the PCI slot for a Voodoo card.

YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 16, by voodoo47

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

suppose an usb sound card would do if everything else fails, but no idea whether one can be obtained cheaply and with working win9x drivers - maybe you have some specific model in mind?

3Dfx Help Page

Reply 11 of 16, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think most cheap sticks will work fine, but I only got the Terratec Aureon Dual USB myself and it uses the standard "USB Audio Device" driver supplied by Windows 98SE.

YouTube channel

Reply 12 of 16, by voodoo47

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

looks like we have a winner - the AD1888 win98se driver for msi 845pev2. if this works under win98se as well (currently running winme), then the victory will be complete. //it does.

Last edited by voodoo47 on 2017-07-21, 09:00. Edited 1 time in total.

3Dfx Help Page

Reply 13 of 16, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

An Intel board with a sis chipset? Now that's odd.

I have this board and I can say that integrated SIS Mirage 1 graphics card is really crappy…
It's slower than GF2 MX400, and basically it works only in XP (and maybe Win2K). Doesn't work in Linux (except in VESA mode which is slow), and Vista's built-in driver is very buggy (has problems with video playing). Win7 even removed that built-in driver.

Never tried Win9x.

Reply 14 of 16, by voodoo47

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quake3 and System Shock2 (2.46, DX9 mode) ran decently under xp (800*600), didn't test anything 3D under win9x yet, but as the driver supports 9x properly, I have no reason to think it shouldn't work - I'll see soon enough, I suppose.

//D3D is fine, but opengl locks up. will try a clean win98se install, that will hopefully help - though this is not a big deal if you want to use a different graphics card anyway.

//yep, no opengl under win9x, not sure whether it's a bug or a feature. anyway, at this moment it's quite safe to say that if you are looking for a tiny board for a mini win9x retro machine and don't care about opengl on the integrated graphics (and ACPI possibly not working 100% correctly), D201GLY2 will do fine.

3Dfx Help Page

Reply 15 of 16, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi I'm necro posting to this thread in order to confirm the fact that Windows 98 does indeed run on a sister board Intel D201GLY (no SATA version).
There aren't many Windows 98 mini-ITX motherboards around so I consider this information useful.

When you install Windows 98 in APM mode (notice the space)

setup /p i

the system shows no warnings for motherboard resources conflicting memory ranges.
The SiS USB controller doesn't work well in Windows 98 on this board, it freezes when you plug in or disconnect any device. This happens both with and without NUSB 3.6 installed.
In order to properly disable onboard USB (and/or its 2.0 capabilities provided by SiS 7002 USB Controller) you have to update BIOS to ver.0149 first. Otherwise the CMOS setup won't affect the system behavior. It should also be noted that system doesn't work well when you install a PCI Voodoo on this board and may freeze when initializing fullscreen 3D.

The audio codec AD1888 sitting on a SiS chipset is found on a few other boards one of them is Asus P4S533-MX. Its support page offers a driver which is while newer than the one originally posted here still requires some .inf SUBSYS editing. After that it works fine.
As noted in the original post the graphic driver does indeed have a problem regarding OpenGL support in Windows 98 however its worth mentioning that GLInfo does actually detect a SiS Xabre OpenGL ICD dll and reports extensions ver 1.4 support so it may be a Quake2-specific issue. For the record the D3D7 applications work well with performance roughly at GeForce 2 MX level.

Attachments

• d201 sis330mir.jpg
    Filename
    d201 sis330mir.jpg
    File size
    29.22 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    SiS Mirage 330
    File license
    Public domain

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports

Reply 16 of 16, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruno128 wrote on 2022-03-22, 17:36:

As noted in the original post the graphic driver does indeed have a problem regarding OpenGL support in Windows 98 however its worth mentioning that GLInfo does actually detect a SiS Xabre OpenGL ICD dll and reports extensions ver 1.4 support so it may be a Quake2-specific issue. For the record the D3D7 applications work well with performance roughly at GeForce 2 MX level.

I remember it had serious fps drops in Zuma (or maybe it was Zuma's Revenge), while GF2 MX400 had no such issue.