VOGONS

First post, by Viserion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

Newbie here, so if I'm doing something wrong, then gently show me the error of my ways, and I will correct them at the best of my ability.

After watching Phils channel on Youtube, it inspired ne to build a retro pc to play old games.

Got a Gigabyte 5AX super socket 7 rev 4.2 with latest bios (F4) and a AMD K6-2+ CPU at 500MHz.

On one of the ide channel there a Zip250, and a DVD.rom. For HDD I have a Adaptech 39160 SCSI controller with several HDDs.

I have 2 Voodoo2 in SLI, a Geforce 4ti, a generic networkcard and a AWE32(CT3990) that I just got of ebay.

It is supposed to work, but I am unable to get it detected at all. Both in Win 98, Win2k and also in MS-DOS 6.22(via Creatives drivers).

Searching the net for pictures to compare, the only dofference between my card, and the one I found is a chip at U17 that is not there on my card.
Not certain if this matters or not.

I've tried to move a few jumpers around, and also installing memory(that I don't know if work or not), but no difference.
So to be certain, does anybody knows what jumpers should be set out without extra ram.

Is there anything else that can be tested.

This MB has 2 ISA slots, and I have tried both.

I also have an AWE64 Gold, that is detected fine in Win98 and Win2k. Not tried it in dos however.

Reply 1 of 11, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Viserion wrote:

does anybody knows what jumpers should be set out without extra ram.

AWEp5-3.jpg
Filename
AWEp5-3.jpg
File size
100.95 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This is a scan from the manual that came with my AWE32.
The DRAM_EN jumper under the RAM slots on the card is what tells the card whether to use RAM added to the slots or not.

Reply 3 of 11, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The fact that neither DOS or Windows 9x detects the card is a bit worrying and, since this is a Plug 'n Play card, Windows 98 should detect it straight away when you boot up the first time.
Have you tried uninstalling all your previous drivers to see whether Windows detects the card again?
Sometimes a card can be obstructed by the bracket (when you plug it into the ISA slot) - what I sometimes do is to slightly bend the lower end of the bracket to ensure that the card goes completely into the ISA slot.

PS: U17 is sometimes populated with the CT1748-SBP chip, which is the Advanced Signal Processor (ASP), also known as the Creative Signal Processor (CSP). It was used by very few applications and is not really required.

Reply 4 of 11, by Viserion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Then I at least know it's not reqired.

It is worringly that it's not detected anywhere.
Not tried to uninstall any drivers, had a strange ESS 1868 card before(it has a 6/9V power input via the bracket for some reason).

I try if I can get it going in another system, that is a bit nonstandard to say the least.

It should however be detected in Dos, as that is a brand new installation.

Reply 5 of 11, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Under DOS you require at least CTCM to be loaded. CTCU is only required for DOS 6.22 or earlier, since with later DOS versions (that came with Windows 9x) CTCM just read a configuration file called ctpnp.cfg under the Windows folder.

Reply 6 of 11, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Viserion wrote:

Not tried to uninstall any drivers, had a strange ESS 1868 card before(it has a 6/9V power input via the bracket for some reason).

That's not strange. It's power output and was meant for active speakers, saving an additional PSU.

Reply 7 of 11, by Viserion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried a lot of different things, and nearly changed or took outalmost all of the hardware to see if there was a conflict, with no results.

This was in dos however. Tried to run diagnose or install, but either go a flat out not detected, or failed the I/O detection.
Tried 220h, 240h, 260h and 280h plus auto detect, but all failed.

Never thought about out put, I guess that would have been somewhat useful back in the day.

Any other jumpers I could try?

As that is the only idea I can think of at this point.

Did get the 2x16mb 30 pin simms today, but made no difference.

Reply 8 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it should at least show up in post as a PNP card, much like your AWE64 does. In fact in Win9x it should behave the same as the AWE 64
It's sounding more and more like a dead card 🙁

Reply 9 of 11, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jesolo wrote:

Under DOS you require at least CTCM to be loaded. CTCU is only required for DOS 6.22 or earlier, since with later DOS versions (that came with Windows 9x) CTCM just read a configuration file called ctpnp.cfg under the Windows folder.

/\ THIS /\

When installing my 2MB CT3600 (as AWE 32) PNP card I had to load this before the install program detected the card. Once I did that- everything when smooth and installed flawlessly. This was a DOS / Win 3.11 machine so it may not translate to your situation.

-- Regards, Joe

Expect out of life, that which you put into it.

Reply 10 of 11, by Viserion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I ordered a CPU(P200MMX) that arrived today to test this card on a second system.
Could not get the CPU to work on either the second or first system, though the first system does boot when reinstalling the K6-2+.

Second MB(M5ALA) is not a super socket 7, so doesa not support K6-2+ CPU.

Seller of the AWE32 has found another card that is tested working, so I retun this card and hope to get a working card in return.

When looking at it the AWE32 is sligthley bent towards the middle, so this migt be the cause for the failure.

Reply 11 of 11, by Viserion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sent the card back, and seller bent som pins back, and sent the same card back.
Not sure which pins however.

Tested it, and there is still problems with it.

In Win2k it was horrible broken as it was stuttering so bad that whatever was played was unrecognizeable.
It would BSOD after a short while.

I reinstalled Win2k first with other card(Audican 32 pro), and later with the AWE32.
First card worked flawlessly, the AWE32 was better. MP3s can be played, but any game running for a little while will cause it to BSOD.
Used inbuilt drivers, as I can't find Win2k drivers for the AWE32.

In Win98 using Creative drivers, and it works a lot better than in win2k. The 2*16mb sticks are detected, and all appears to work well.
I could load soundfonts, and play the piano in the Creative program suite.
However any game will crash after a little while.There are also noise that should not be there.
MP3s will play fine however.

In Dos I tried doom2, and it would not detect it as AWE32, buit if I chose general Soundblaster card it would work, but unstable as sometime sound effects would work others not.
Music will not work in AWE32 mode, but sometimes in Soundblaster mode.
When running diagnose I get an error that says "The hardware chip required for Advance WaveEffects Synthesis is found to be missing or faulty", and in aweutil I get "ERR012 : AWE32 initialization failed".
I am using drivers from Creative in dos, downloaded from here,

It baffles me that it works better in Win98 than in either Dos or Win2k.
So far if I have understood everything the soundfonts should not be working in Win98 if the chip is faulty, but it won't work in Dos or Win2k.

I simply can't figure this one out.