VOGONS

First post, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, need some help here. I have done a 486DX2 build with a PCchips M902 that I have posted here (fake cache replacement)
Now it is the sound part. What I have:

-CT2950
-CT3600
-ESS1868F
-Orchid Nusound (32pnp??????)

What would be better for MSDOS only?

Let me know your advices, I am stuck here
Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 8, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Out of only those cards or can you sell some of them and use the funds to buy a different card?

If I had to choose it would be the SB16 PnP or the ESS1868F for the sound. Personally from the list I would do the SB16. The CT3600 despite lots of bad talk is a great card with additional memory but I would stick to using that in a win9x rig personally for large soundfonts. CT3600 + masterpiece (32mb) soundfont is delicious 😀. Drivers to get those cards working should already be uploaded to vogons. I'm not too familiar with the Orchid card to say much about it.

Of course, if I were me (which I am sometimes 😒 ) I would sell one and use the funds to buy a CT1600 (SB Pro II). You can get them for $~20USD on ebay. True OPL3 YMF232 and to me the "Standard" DOS sound since it's what everybody I knew had during the time period you're looking at (~1992). Mixing a CT1600 and CT3600 in the same rig can also be fun 😊

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7CARR0xDpQ&t=1s Just seems ...right... to me 😜

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 2 of 8, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BeginnerGuy wrote:
Out of only those cards or can you sell some of them and use the funds to buy a different card? […]
Show full quote

Out of only those cards or can you sell some of them and use the funds to buy a different card?

If I had to choose it would be the SB16 PnP or the ESS1868F for the sound. Personally from the list I would do the SB16. The CT3600 despite lots of bad talk is a great card with additional memory but I would stick to using that in a win9x rig personally for large soundfonts. CT3600 + masterpiece (32mb) soundfont is delicious 😀. Drivers to get those cards working should already be uploaded to vogons. I'm not too familiar with the Orchid card to say much about it.

Of course, if I were me (which I am sometimes 😒 ) I would sell one and use the funds to buy a CT1600 (SB Pro II). You can get them for $~20USD on ebay. True OPL3 YMF232 and to me the "Standard" DOS sound since it's what everybody I knew had during the time period you're looking at (~1992). Mixing a CT1600 and CT3600 in the same rig can also be fun 😊

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7CARR0xDpQ&t=1s Just seems ...right... to me 😜

😀 Well the orchid is the equal to this http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?86592-Or … table-soundcard
dont have the MSDOS drivers disk 😢
In europe ebay I couldnt find any CT1600 for less than 60 GBP 😵
I am really thinking in sb16 or ess... but my model has the hanging note bug... At first I thinked in orchid but cant find drivers, only for W95

Reply 3 of 8, by alexsydneynsw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the exact same mobo with exact same cpu, it's allright! Not sure about cache though. Says I have 256kb when it posts. Should probably do some tests.

BeginnerGuy wrote:

period you're looking at (~1992)

Sound Blaster Pro 2 is indeed an absolute winner for a 1992 build, but for this build it looks more like it's targeting 1993-1994. Despite the fact 486 was released in 1992 it was way too expensive and not affordable at all.

I built myself a 386 with SB Pro 2 and a 486 DX2-66 with SB16 and anything from 1992 I throw at my 386 works beautifully. In 1993 Doom came out and it no longer works on 386, but majority of other 1993 games (I know of) do work fine.

SB16 is a really good choice for 486 since it came out in 1993 when 486 became affordable enough for home market and 386 was a wide spread standard already and many games started to include SB16 in their game options. In addition to that SB16 was released in a combo with a cd-rom and 1993 is a year when cd multimedia craze started to kick in.

Awe32 is a 1994 card, but not for MS-DOS only, as you need at least Win 3.1 to play with sound fonts, so you will miss out if you put it in a ms-dos only machine.

Unfortunately I don't know much about non-Creative cards history.

Reply 8 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My DX2 66 came with a SB16 so its period correct.
But if the CT3600 is just going to sit in storage, may as well use that?

Hanging note bug only applies to external Midi device or daughterboard, so in your currant setup its a non issue.