VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

I want to install the GUS PnP drivers on a 486 DOS pc but after install finishes from the floppy drive I get an error about "Gravis PnP card not detected" 😵
The card works fine under a 98SE installation:

3IR00UXl.jpg

but what about a pc that has no PnP BIOS or a PnP OS? Do I need a PnP manager like CTCM? What's the deal? 😕 I see nothing on the Gravis disk and my dos pnp experience is almost zero 🤣

TIA for any info/help!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 8, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CTCM will work with Creative cards only. For PnP under DOS, install the Intel Configuration Utility ("ICU"). That's all you need to get full PnP under DOS and it consumes only 2 kb for the TSR.

Reply 3 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

finally I got the card working with ICU , thanks derSammler for the help!

m3RY2bWl.jpg

it also proved quite a task to find an installation of ICU to download, I could get some half-versions of it (maybe for specific hardware?) but I did find the latest R1.43 (AFAIK) with a nice installation program that takes care of almost everything, I am attaching it to this thread just in case anyone else has the same problems in the future. You can extract both files in a directory and install from there, no need to use floppies if you don't want to.

Attachments

• Filename
    ICU_DISK_2.zip
    File size
    1.04 MiB
    Downloads
    318 downloads
    File comment
    Intel ICU R1.43 disk 2 of 2
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    ICU_DISK_1.zip
    File size
    998.93 KiB
    Downloads
    344 downloads
    File comment
    Intel ICU R1.43 disk 1 of 2
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 8, by Phreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

it seems from your screenshot that the card was already initialized before the PNP Config manager was loaded. Hence it was loaded/initialized 2 times ?!?

ArGUS Parts list: http://bit.ly/2Ddf89V

Reply 6 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's just how the gravis setup put things on the config files. Without the ICU properly detecting the GUS PNP the gravis setup was complaining that no card was found and just exited. After ICU and proper PnP configuration the gravis setup detected the card and modified the config files to it's liking... one init via config.sys one via autoexec:

DEVICE=C:\GRAVIS\ULTRASND\IWINIT.EXE ID=GRV00001 INTERWAVE=C:\GRAVIS\ULTRASND\IW.INI
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
DOS=HIGH
FILES=30
DEVICE=C:\PLUGPLAY\DRIVERS\DOS\DWCFGMG.SYS
@REM ===== Gravis initialization (1.3) =====
@SET INTERWAVE=C:\GRAVIS\ULTRASND\IW.INI
@SET IWDIR=C:\GRAVIS\ULTRASND
@C:\GRAVIS\ULTRASND\IWINIT.EXE
@C:\GRAVIS\ULTRASND\GETIWENV.EXE > C:\GRAVIS\ULTRASND\SETIWENV.BAT
@CALL C:\GRAVIS\ULTRASND\SETIWENV.BAT
@SET ULTRADIR=C:\GRAVIS\ULTRASND
@REM ===== Gravis initialization ends =====
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
SET PATH=C:\GRAVIS\ULTRASND;C:\DOS;C:\UTILS
SET TEMP=C:\TEMP

Reply 7 of 8, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Initalization in config.sys is redundant and can be removed without any consequences.
If things fail "iwinit -v9" sometimes gives some additional info useful for tracking issues.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]