VOGONS

First post, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, I own a Yamaha Audician 32 plus ISA soundcard and I'm very happy with it.
I was wondering if anybody has compared the Audician with the great SB Pro 2 CT1600.

I've been after this soundcard for a while now and I would like to know what are the differences in terms of FM sound quality, bass, noise, etc.

I know that the Audician has a the possibility of having a daughtercard installed where the SB Pro 2 doesn't, but that is not really a concern as I prefer FM music to MIDI.

The sounds of the Roland MT32 and Roland Canvas haven't aged well in comparison to FM music IMO.
Yes there are exceptions as the opening of Secret of Monkey Island where the MT32 really shines.

I know some of you guys are going to call this blasphemy but as a musician I just find MIDI music really cheap whereas FM sysnthesis is...well....like an instrument on its own. It is the true sounds of the 90s hahahaha

Last edited by Pingaloka on 2018-01-28, 11:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 1, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lot's of games where Adlib(FM) is way better then Midi (MT32) or GM and beside that more sfx-effects with FM too.
Interesting thoughts about that comparion. For the later machines (pentium and above) I will always choose the
audician, because of the windows-drivers, but for plain dos target the ct1600 and a 386/486 is a killer.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines