VOGONS

First post, by Woolie Wool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Blzut3 sent me an SB Live! to go alongside my Yamaha OPL3-SAx since I was having so many issues with the latter. I have disabled all parts of the Yamaha drivers except the MPU-401 and loaded it before the Creative driver (otherwise the Creative driver blocks the Yamaha driver), so I am getting sound through the speakers and my Roland SC-55 shows activity on its front screen and plays music through the headphone jack. However, the line-in port on the SB Live! doesn't seem to work in DOS (it does in Windows and I have no problems there). Can this be enabled somehow or will I need an external mixer?

Machine:
AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.1 GHz (originally misidentified as 1.4 GHz based on the eBay listing)
Abit KT7A motherboard
1.5 GB RAM
Asylum nVidia GeForce FX 5900
16 GB CompactFlash card with IDE bracket running MS-DOS 6.0 or FreeDOS 1.2 (this question applies to the MS-DOS 6.0 card), 80GB IDE hard drive dual-booting Windows 98 and Windows XP
Genius A151-A00 sound card (Yamaha OPL3-SAx) ISA sound card functioning as MPU-401
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! PCI sound card, SW synth muted
Roland Sound Canvas SC-55 MkII

wp0kyr-2.png CALIFORNIA_RAYZEN
1wpfky-2.png REDBOX
3q6x0e-2.png FUNKENSTEIN_3D

Reply 1 of 2, by Woolie Wool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just installed Quake and on the SB Live! the CD audio works but the regular audio does not. This is the first game I've tried that actively does not play a certain type of audio under DOS with this card. I cannot pull the Yamaha out entirely because it takes an extreme amount of force to remove and removal is likely to damage the card and/or bracket.

EDIT: It turned out this was caused by the Yamaha driver altering my AUTOEXEC.BAT every time it was invoked. I changed "SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4" to "SET BLASTER A220 I5 D1 P330 T6" and used attrib -r to make it stick and it works just fine.

1wpfky-2.png REDBOX

Reply 2 of 2, by Woolie Wool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got a mixer for line-in but it turns out the MPU-401 is getting only partial data from the Yamaha card's MPU-401 at most times (some instruments play as piano, too slowly, or not at all). Descent works fine, Doom v1.9 and Duke Nukem 3D v1.3D can be tamed with application of throttle -c, but Doom v1.1 and Wacky Wheels are hopeless causes. My plan C is an AWE64 CT4250. If that doesn't work then I might as well give up on trying to use DOS with this system and keep saving money for the Pentium Pro build.

1wpfky-2.png REDBOX