VOGONS

First post, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, all

I'm slowly completing my two-build setup that should cover all the major sound standards:

For now I have this Pentium 3 build with AWE32 w/28MB RAM, a Creative Sound Blaster Live! and a Diamond Monster Sound MX300:

hAgtJBrm.jpg

The other is in progress, it will probably be DOS/Win 3.11 and have an SB16 Pro 2, a GUS PnP and a MusicQuest clone card to power a Roland MT-32 and Roland SC-55. Which got me thinking — what kind of speakers should I get for it? My current setup is Creative SBS20. Not bad, but I'm sure there is something better out there.

There is the obvious route here, of course — get a pair of old speakers made by Roland, Yamaha or Altec Lansing. I would definitely love to get something like a Roland MA-8. But then it got me thinking — AV manufacturers can sometimes keep really old products on the market. My favourite example is Sony MDR-7506 headphones:

9hq

They are being produced for around 25 years, they certainly have the "expensive 90s audio gear" look and sound really nice — especially for their price. So the question is — can you name anything similar for desktop PC speakers?

- two speaker setup. 2.1 is okay, but not really needed;
- beige (preferable) or black (Roland MA-8 is definitely a good example of what I would consider a retro design for speakers);
- big name manufacturer, like Roland, Yamaha, Sony, etc;
- has been on the market for ages;
- semi-professional or entry level professional product;
- moderate price.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 1 of 3, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I’ve always liked the look of those Bose companion 2 speakers for a retro machine - never tried them tho. I have tried some 2.0 Audioengine multimedia speakers which sound and look quite nice.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 3, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Look around your local classifieds. I have bought 3 sets of old 90s speakers, 2 sets were basically brand new. Seems some nice family folk had just stashed them 10-15 years ago, and just don't have any idea that retro gear might have any value. One nice lady even apologized because they were "so old and probably not very good". I got some nice white Jazz speakers similar to the ones you pictured for $10, and a complete 4.1 surround Aletc Lansing setup (with the wooden subwoofer box) for $20.

Stuff like this for example https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/campsie/speak … kers/1171981918 ... not particularly good but brand new in box and would look reasonably good alongside a retro computer. I had speakers like that for most of the 90s.

Reply 3 of 3, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
squiggly wrote:

Look around your local classifieds. I have bought 3 sets of old 90s speakers, 2 sets were basically brand new.

Well, like I said, this is a somewhat obvious route. I was just wondering if you can find something new that looks the part.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog