VOGONS

First post, by ITZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, i'm a new user from Italy (pizza mandolino berlusconi anyone?) and i have a question for you: Can i use a computer as a radio transmitter? Are there any programs that let me do that (with something like an antenna connected to the audio out) ? I know it's a bit off topic, but i wanted to know for curiosity reason.

Reply 3 of 13, by Auzner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Like FM? Not with software to a sound card. These sorts of things also require licensing to broadcast. Are you simply just curious or is there a mission statement for having a form of wireless audio?

Reply 5 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd be the ideal receiver, at least.. 😁
SAQ Grimeton Christmas transmission

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 13, by timb.us

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Auzner wrote:

Like FM? Not with software to a sound card. These sorts of things also require licensing to broadcast. Are you simply just curious or is there a mission statement for having a form of wireless audio?

Actually, FM transmitter kits are pretty common: https://www.canakit.com/fm-transmitters

Most of those will hook right up to the line output of a sound card. Anything under 1W is legal in North America and most of the EU.

I’ve seen some kits that do 5 to 10W, which, with the right antenna can give a pretty decent range (especially if you’re broadcasting from a high rise in a densely packed city). You can also buy 50 and 100W power amplifiers, which you would place before the antenna, to greatly increase range. However, using one of those will get you a visit from “the man” and a hefty fine, so use at your own risk.

As always, check the applicable laws from the body governing the RF spectrum in your country, as they vary.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. (E.g., Cheez Whiz, RF, Hot Dogs)

Reply 12 of 13, by timb.us

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Errius wrote:

IIRC Cold War spooks used to be able to reconstruct the images on CRT monitors from their EM emissions.

Yes, there’s datasheets for these devices in some of the documents Snowden leaked. They could also remotely log keystrokes the same way! (Well, in that case a bug would need to be placed *near*, but not inline with, the keyboard cable.) The devices were passive and could be remotely powered by a directed RF emission from a nearby van (not unlike RFID chips). It was done like this to avoid the bug being being an active transmitter, which would show up during bug sweeps (plus you didn’t need to periodically break into the target location and change batteries).

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. (E.g., Cheez Whiz, RF, Hot Dogs)

Reply 13 of 13, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is technique called Van Eck phreaking. The USD/Nato developed a standard called TEMPEST to test for and defeat this vulnerability.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Eck_phreaking
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempest_(codename)

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder