VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2023-07-14, 19:19:

Here ya go. These were made on/for the last generation of Roland SC hardware modules, which then became the StudioCanvas line. They apparently didn't work with the old VSC software synth due to it's limitations, but the new VST driver with multi-port could possibly get around that.

Thanks!
Hmm, I have checked all the files and it seems none of them really uses 2 ports. Actually none of them has more than 17 tracks (including tempo track) either so it would not make much sense to use 2 ports with only 16 musical tracks.
That many tracks always can be played back easily on only 1 port (channels 1-16).
Actually some of the files use the well known port select meta event but only the tracks that select port 0 contain musical notes.

@Edit:
Anyway, here are the 32-channel Midi files I have and confirmed to really use 2 ports. All are optimized for SC-88Pro+ so they should be played on SC-VA.

Filename
Midi_32ch_collection.zip
File size
639.29 KiB
Downloads
72 downloads
File license
Public domain

BTW, SC-VA has a nasty concurrency bug so that 2 theoretically independent instances can kill each other note's if note off messages arrive at the same moment. You can mitigate the problem somewhat if you offset the timing of the 2 instances. You can do this with FSMP + WinMM multiport VSTi by setting 15-20 ms delay for port B:

WinMMMultiPort1.png
Filename
WinMMMultiPort1.png
File size
23.67 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi

Reply 122 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trelokk wrote on 2023-07-15, 01:16:

I gotta hand it to you straight, man: You rock. Your FSMP was/is already awesome, but you releasing proper updates of this driver with new features is just mind-blowing. Thanks a lot!

Thanks, and you're welcome!
BTW, accidentally I left a debug print in the code so I re-uploaded version 1.3 to github (only the build number updated to 1.3.0.3) . Please, re-download:
https://github.com/Falcosoft/vstdriver/releases/tag/v1.3.0
(The only side effect was that if you used e.g. DosBox with the driver then the DosBox console was flooded with the driver's WaveOut getPosition reports.)

Reply 123 of 262, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you don't have any more maintenance updates cooking, I'd like to spread the word about this updated VST driver. You should also update your Falcosoft site with a section for it and post about it on Facebook, so people know it's available now and can send you PayPal donations.

Reply 124 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2023-07-20, 16:58:

If you don't have any more maintenance updates cooking, I'd like to spread the word about this updated VST driver. You should also update your Falcosoft site with a section for it and post about it on Facebook, so people know it's available now and can send you PayPal donations.

OK, I had one more task to reach feature parity with DB50XG's abandoned fork: namely low latency ASIO output support. So I have added it in version 1.4:
1. Added ASIO output option with the help of Bassasio. Contrary to Basswasapi Bassasio works without the main Bass library which means fewer potential conflicts. And Bassasio is only loaded dynamically when option is selected (WaveOut remains the default option).

2. Also added the option to select WaveOut devices explicitly.

3. Compared to DB50XG's version ASIO output's Midi precision is not dependent on ASIO buffere sizes. Midi message timestamps are generated by timeGetTime or QueryPerformanceCounter (if available).

4. Also fixed the problem of Midi clients remain stuck forever when ASIO is used since BASS_ASIO_Free() never returns.

5. ASIO output option also got 2-port 4-channel support. Compared to WaveOut it is somewhat more versatile since you can assign any ASIO channels to port A and port B.

6. Added x64 config dialog to installer (shortcut is also created). The reason is that there are ASIO drivers that are either 32-bit or 64-bit only
and 32-bit config dialog does not necessarily enumerate the same drivers as the 64-bit one and does not reflect what drivers 64-bit clients see.

https://github.com/Falcosoft/vstdriver/releases/tag/v1.4.0

Reply 125 of 262, by Trelokk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Having a problem with the latest driver version (1.4.0.2). I upgraded from a previous version (v1.2 or so, I believe). At first I uninstalled the old version and restarted. When opening the config panel, it already showed it had loaded syxg50.dll (as before), so I thought it was all OK.

Next time I opened the panel however, no DLL was selected any more. When I wanted to change that, I got a "This is NOT a VSTi synth!" warning message. Same with the old Edirol VSC-MP1. Turns out 32-bit plugins don't work in general. The SC-VA (which is only available in 64-bit) loads without issues. Previous versions of the driver loaded the S-YXG50 just fine, so I'm wondering whether this is intended behavior or not. Oh, and it doesn't matter whether I am trying the x64 or x86 shortcut for the panel, results are the same.

Update:
Version 1.3.0.3 (previous driver version) still works fine with the S-YXG50.

Reply 129 of 262, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know what wizardry you worked, but this updated driver is making absolutely perfect sound with your MIDI player and everything I put through it sounds better than it did with the previous Arakula driver. The reverb sounds superb and the chorus effect is handled perfectly. Other than one 2-second audio distortion hiccup that may have happened because I had the MIDI player volume too high instead of increasing the audio device output, I have nothing to gripe about.

Reply 130 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Version 1.5 is released. Please, use the new exe to uninstall the old one.:
https://github.com/Falcosoft/vstdriver/releases/tag/v1.5.0

1. Added midiOutSetVolume (MIDICAPS_VOLUME) support.
At least one known game requires it (Road Rash '96), maybe more.
Road Rash '96 - MIDI Error

2. Added Always on Top On/Off option.
Some VST Editors and ASIO control panels may open up behind the main config dialog. In these cases disabling topmost status can be helpful.

3. 32/64-bit ASIO driver and channel selection is stored separately.

4. Some other fixes and optimization.

Trelokk: After you uninstalled the old one an installed the new one please check the the following files exist in both C:\Windows\System32\vstmididrv and C:\Windows\SysWOW64\vstmididrv folders:
bassasio.dll
vsthost32.exe
vsthost64.exe
vstmididrvcfg.exe

If you want a fresh start you can also delete from the registry:
\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VSTi Driver

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2023-07-23, 12:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 131 of 262, by Trelokk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Updated as instructed (uninstall with the new exe + reboot). New release causes no issues for me any more. Great job, and fast!

Side note:
With the previous release, I didn't have vsthost32.exe for some reason. That was probably the issue.

Reply 132 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2023-07-23, 11:45:

I don't know what wizardry you worked, but this updated driver is making absolutely perfect sound with your MIDI player and everything I put through it sounds better than it did with the previous Arakula driver. The reverb sounds superb and the chorus effect is handled perfectly. Other than one 2-second audio distortion hiccup that may have happened because I had the MIDI player volume too high instead of increasing the audio device output, I have nothing to gripe about.

The only expalnation can be that the new driver has much greater Midi precision ( WaveOut has actually sample accurate timings). Arakula's one, and all previous ones that used Bass libraries had Midi precision coupled with the Bass update period that is 5ms at best case, but in practice it is somewhere between 5-10 ms. The ASIO output of DB50XG's version had Midi precision that was coupled with ASIO buffer size. This means that at a still reasonable 50ms buffer the Midi precision was also 50 ms(!). At 50 ms Midi precision you cannot even recognize the Midi songs 😀

Reply 133 of 262, by Karmeck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So this is cool, but what is it for?

If I already have the midi player, with vsti functionality, why would I need this?

Because, I would already have the midi lamer loaded to play my midi songs.

Most games that use midi won't really boot on windows 10. So it won't matter if I have it as a default midi device in windows.

So this is for instruments?

Once again, really cool.

Hmmm, maybe it can cut loopmidi out of the..... loop.

That could be a good thing, like you have this driver for one vsti file and the midi player for an other. So you can point some games to use the windows "default"midi player and others use loopmidi.

Reply 134 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Karmeck wrote on 2023-07-23, 16:15:

If I already have the midi player, with vsti functionality, why would I need this?

I'm not the right person to answer this question. Maybe the answer is more options are better?

Most games that use midi won't really boot on windows 10. So it won't matter if I have it as a default midi device in windows.

The driver also works on other Windows versions back to WinXP, you are not restricted to Win 10.

Hmmm, maybe it can cut loopmidi out of the..... loop.

Yep, that's definitely an advantage. Seriously I mostly use this driver with FSMP+WinMM MultiPort VSTi to play back multi-port (32-channel) Midi files in surround mode. So far I had to use 2 instances of SAVIHost in ASIO mode + LoopMidi to achieve this. Now I only need this driver in its new 4-audio channel mode (front + rear speakers).

Reply 135 of 262, by Trelokk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would say the biggest advantage is its "install and forget" approach. When you launch a game with MIDI music, you don't have to make sure that loopMidi and FSMP are both running. (I don't autoload them on system launch since I would only need them for gaming.) The driver activates on its own whenever it is needed and also shuts down again afterwards. So for me it's a matter of convenience.

Reply 136 of 262, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Karmeck wrote on 2023-07-23, 16:15:

That's a completely false statement. Many classic DOS games have Windows ports or front-ends and there's DOSBox, for everything that doesn't. With a few exceptions, MIDI hardware is currently a no-go on most Windows 10 systems due to lack of driver support and the software synth stuff now works wonderfully, with a bit of configuration time put in.

Reply 137 of 262, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been doing some poking this morning and discovered that the Yamaha XG VST won't work with the Enhanced GS MIDI files I posted earlier - most are 16 and the rest are 32 - that are recognized as 32-channel by FSMP, while the Roland VSC VST will play them without issue. Right now, I'm testing the new driver with the VSC and it's working wonderfully for playback, so it should be good for game use as well.

Reply 138 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2023-07-25, 12:31:

I've been doing some poking this morning and discovered that the Yamaha XG VST won't work with the Enhanced GS MIDI files I posted earlier - most are 16 and the rest are 32 - that are recognized as 32-channel by FSMP, while the Roland VSC VST will play them without issue. Right now, I'm testing the new driver with the VSC and it's working wonderfully for playback, so it should be good for game use as well.

Hi,
What do you mean by "Yamaha XG VST won't work with the Enhanced GS MIDI files" exactly? I have made a quick test and found no apparent problems.
BTW, just recently I have modified 32-channel detection in FSMP so only tracks that contain note events considered "real" regarding multi-port calculation. More info:
Re: Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
According to this new detection method none of your enhanced GS files proved to be real 32-channel Midi files. Maybe it's worth trying the new version of FSMP first:
https://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_62_test.zip

Reply 139 of 262, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was using the XG VST and 32-bit FSMP (6.1.1) wouldn't play the files it flagged as 32-channel after trying to load them, simply moving to the next 16-channel MIDI file. I'm testing it again right now and it seems to have been a hiccup, cause none of them would play when I was using the XG VST earlier and they work fine now.