VOGONS

First post, by ramunegaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, some of you might've seen my last post about my Roland MT-32. Well, I've made some progress, I can now get the MT-32 to detect DOS games as the little screen shows game specific messages. However, when I load games from DOS with the install setting set to Roland MT-32 they either crash or with Sierra games I just get the message "unable to utilize your sound hardware." This is good news though as it means the MT-32 isn't dead like I previously suspected and it means it's a-me error. I'm so close I can almost hear it 😜.

Ok now that you have some background lets get into it. Seeing as this is a-me related error I was wondering if someone could go over my Config.sys & autoexec.bat files to see if something in there is causing the issue.

Here are the images: https://imgur.com/a/B3EmMeJ Here is also some in-windows settings just in case it helps: https://imgur.com/a/AJ5kA3b

Question number 2, when I use mixerset utility after a reboot it loses the settings (yes I hit save) is there a way to tell the pc to remember the settings. This could also be why the sound crashes?

Question 3, With LSL6 I have the talkie edition but I'm not sure how to boot it from DOS as there is no .bat or .exe for it. LSL6 talkie edition takes up a whole disc so is there a way to boot from the disc like a command? If I go into windows and look at the launcher target location it says "resource.win" is what boots it but in DOS I have no luck.

Final & bonus question: I'm using cutemouse for a mouse in DOS but I have to manual run it ever time is there a way to put it into my config.sys so it just loads it on boot?

Any help would be greatly appreciated been struggling with this for months and I can finally almost see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Reply 1 of 11, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You need softMPU TSR to use MT-32 with dos games that support MT-32 when using MT-32 in a awe64 joystick port because that port does not support the intelligent mode. If you don't have that those sierra games will crash if you set them to use MT-32.

http://bjt42.github.io/softmpu/

Reply 2 of 11, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To load the mouse automatically you need to put it in your Autoexec.bat and I would load it high

Eg:
LH C:\MOUSE\MOUSE.COM

but use the file that loads your mouse not what I have put

Reply 3 of 11, by ramunegaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Baoran wrote:

You need softMPU TSR to use MT-32 with dos games that support MT-32 when using MT-32 in a awe64 joystick port because that port does not support the intelligent mode. If you don't have that those sierra games will crash if you set them to use MT-32.

http://bjt42.github.io/softmpu/

I've already installed SoftMPU or at least tried too. I'm not too experienced with DOS so I wouldn't be surprised if I mess it up somehow. Any chance you can walk me through the install process so I can try again?

Reply 4 of 11, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are instructions on that web page. Basically after booting and before running a game that uses MT-32 you need to run that softmpu.exe with parameters shown on that web page where you tell it the address, irc and mpu address that you have set for your AWE64 card. If you play games that use MT-32 often, you can also add it to autoexec.bat to run it automatically every time you boot your computer.

Reply 5 of 11, by ramunegaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you mean this? "SOFTMPU.EXE /MPU:330 /OUTPUT:COM1"

Oh I've got to run it every launch? I've done this once but I guess it's not sticking because it's not in the autoexec? I can just paste it like this in the autoexec?

Reply 6 of 11, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, you need something like this, except you might need to replace irq number and address with numbers that your card is using. You would normally be using joystick port and not serial port.

SOFTMPU.EXE /SB:220 /IRQ:5 /MPU:330

Reply 7 of 11, by ramunegaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had no luck even with softmpu working so I've reinstalled everything sound related on my pc. Good news is, everything sounds better on the AWE64, which, is good. Bad news, is the MT-32 is still not working... However, I'm able to get into games now without crashing, well some games anyways and the LCD is flashing when it's using instruments I just get no sound now Softmpu seems to be working fine as well so that doesn't seem to be the problem. When I go into Mixerset it still isn't saving my settings which means my line in/out is not active.

In my Autoexec.bat I have this for the mixerset. 'C:\SB16\MIXERSET.EXE /P /Q'

Does anyone have any clue on how to fix this?

Games I've tried:

King's Quest 1 - 6: Cursor appears on the screen and is movable but stuck at black screen.
Quest for Glory 1 - 4: Message 'Can't Utilize Audio Hardware'. I can bypass this, however, But I get no sound but the LCD on the MT-32 flashes as if it's working.
Leisure Suit Larry 1 - 6: Message 'You need 4032 more bytes of free memory available to run this game.' I have more than enough ram. 64 mb, however, if I put in 128 I get the exactly the same message and amount required.

Quick Edit: I got the MT-32 working with KQ1 😀. No clue how but it works, now if I could just get other games working.

Reply 8 of 11, by ramunegaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ignore my last post. I've done it I've got the blasted thing to work. I still need to find a way to get my mixerset to save its settings after boot, if someone could help me with that I would be grateful. What do I need to put in my autoexec.bat. I also can't work out why LSL games require more ram like I stated above.

"Leisure Suit Larry 1 - 6: Message 'You need 4032 more bytes of free memory available to run this game.' I have more than enough ram. 64 mb, however, if I put in 128 I get the exactly the same message and amount required."

Another question is how do I load LSL6 talkie from within' DOS. It doesn't have a .exe file.

Reply 9 of 11, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try replacing device= with devicehigh= in some lines of config.sys to try put some drivers to high memory and free some low memory to get rid of that message that you need more ram.

Reply 10 of 11, by ramunegaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That did the trick. I also managed to get LSL6 Talkie edition working in dos as well which is a bonus.

The last and major problem now is getting the mixerset settings to boot on launch. As this seems to have been the cause of most of my problems.

Reply 11 of 11, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know the answer to your mixerset problems because I have never had that kind of problems myself with my awe64. I hope there is someone else in the forums that can help you with that.