VOGONS

First post, by Burrito78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wanted to connect the Aux header of my new Music Quest MPU clone card internally to my Sound Blaster 16.
I faced the problem of to few audio inputs on my Sound Blaster 16.

Line IN is used by the Roland MT-32
Internal CD_IN is used by the CD-ROM drive.

Placement and Pin-Out of the AUX header on my Music Quest MPU clone:

IH9MQ12_setup.png
Filename
IH9MQ12_setup.png
File size
149.36 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The needed MPC-2 cable:

IMG_7241.jpg
Filename
IMG_7241.jpg
File size
1.01 MiB
Views
File license

Pull out the individual cables on one side by unlocking them with a tiny screwdriver:

IMG_7242.jpg
Filename
IMG_7242.jpg
File size
152.42 KiB
Views
File license

Wavetable header pinout. Note where PIN1 is (circled red):

IMG_7244.jpg
Filename
IMG_7244.jpg
File size
399.08 KiB
Views
File license

Finished connection:

IMG_7219.jpg
Filename
IMG_7219.jpg
File size
1.7 MiB
Views
File license

Sound Blaster: From best to worst
Member of DOSBox Staging

Reply 1 of 3, by Burrito78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Notice how i swapped L/R channels by reversing the cable on the MPU side! My SCB-55 is v1 and L/R are swapped so this is my fix!

Sound Blaster: From best to worst
Member of DOSBox Staging

Reply 2 of 3, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great! I pretty like so wonderful founds and always looked out them by myself. If you're interesting see my topic about pure low-noise sound mixer for DOS on EMU10k cards. Everyone can use it and mix up to 5 stereo channels (minimum). For example you can connect your MCP-2 cable to MPU Clone card and to AUX IN on EMU10k card. You shouldn't pull out the contacts, just connect 😀 (or reverse L/R for SCB-55). On the other hand you can connect SB16 LINE OUT to EMU10k LINE IN via jack-jack cable. And third - CDROM dig out to CD SPDIF IN via 2-pin cable and get best sound quality from EMU10k's LINE OUT or SPDIF OUT. And - you'll still have some free inputs: CD IN (analog), SPDIF IN1, TAD IN (mono).

Reply 3 of 3, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for making this post Burrito78! Should help with internal connections! 😊

I will take this chance to repeat here as well that this helped discover a small bug that affects ~10 cards that I built: when you don't connect anything on the stereo jack the output gets grounded which is good and fine BUT it also means the AUX port also gets grounded. The solution is to:
- either contact me if you are affected to get this fixed
- fix the issue by disconnecting the 2 ground pins on L+R lines at the output jack
- insert a dummy jack at the stereo jack so AUX will work

It completely slipped my mind since the AUX port was added afterwards and all my testing was done with a pair of speakers directly connected to the mpu. Still it was a mistake. Needless to say that this is fixed after this was reported but like I said ~10 cards have this quirk (cards sold by Marmes these last 2 weeks for example are fine) - so anyone affected get in touch! thanks!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website