VOGONS

Reply 540 of 555, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2023-06-07, 10:31:

Will the SMD version be any different price-wise? I'm a lot more confident with THT soldering than SMD 😀

SMDs will be pre-assembled only and cheaper than current pre-assembled THTs

Blasterboard: DIY SB2-compatible sound card on ATmega MCU
Sonic Buster 8: New 8-bit ISA sound card

Reply 541 of 555, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just thinking loud, but how hard it would to add CMS sockets in the schematic.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 542 of 555, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyberdyne wrote on 2023-06-08, 05:04:

Just thinking loud, but how hard it would to add CMS sockets in the schematic.

At current stage it is not yet impossible if there would be enough demand for it. You are the third person who ask about it since 2018 😀

Reply 544 of 555, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
scroeffie wrote on 2023-06-13, 18:25:

gerber files ?

Sorry, I don't give away gerber files. If you want a bare PCB - there is a minimal kit available for sale which includes a PCB and a metal bracket with a mounting kit.

Reply 545 of 555, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@LABS do you have any new updates on SMD design?
Perhaps you could at least to share prototype look'n and feel as teaser!

Thinking to build one. Wondering should I wait or not. Well assuming SMD version have DIY kit... Edit: Nevermind you stated it earlier that only pre-assembled version will be available.

Reply 546 of 555, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, after couple of days assembly got it done and it started to work right away. Well not everything was perfect - I wrongly ordered surface mount crystal oss and while attempting to fix its fat legs I broke one off. Now I applied some creative soldering and it's hanging in the air. Ordered proper trough hole version already.

Fantastic piece of engineering LABS!!

Random observation - I'm seeing mostly high wattage beefy resistors in builds? I ordered minimum required 250mW ones in blue color. Turned out to be almost invisible from far. Gives slightly more modern look to card.

Random observation 2 - Part of the fun is assembly for me. I see trends among DIYers to migrate to SMD pre-assembled format. I hope manageable trough hole DIY builds will not fade away completley.

Attachments

• BB.jpg
    Filename
    BB.jpg
    File size
    616.18 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 547 of 555, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vutt wrote on 2023-10-18, 15:38:

Random observation 2 - Part of the fun is assembly for me. I see trends among DIYers to migrate to SMD pre-assembled format. I hope manageable trough hole DIY builds will not fade away completley.

Not everybody likes to assemble, so usually you can sell more cards if they are preassembled. And TTH assembly is much more expensive when done on fabric (I suppose SMD parts are also cheaper). On the other hand, SMD is harder to assemble if it's done manually.

The solution is to have two types of cards - preassembled SMD and DIY TTH, but that complicates stuff even more.

Personally I like bigger cards with huge amount of discrete components.

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300

Reply 548 of 555, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Surface mounted is aboslutely not harder to assemble manually, it takes fraction of the time to lay 100 components on pasted pads before putting to oven and call it a day than to bend and cut pins of 100 through hole components, stuff them to the board, solder each of the pins (and make them look good too) and then clean the flux residue, more steps, more time...

Hand soldering the sufrace mounted parts may be slower if the tools are wrong, but good needlenose tweezers, right soldeling tip (throw away your conicals 🤣), solder wick (especially one with flux in it already) and correct flux will make things easy still. Drag methods are supreme, it takes much less time to solder up all the many tens of pins chips than the through hole ones.

On the sound cards I am making (and have made), soldering the few tens of through hole parts take longer than pick&placing the few hundred surface mounted parts.

I'm pretty sure all the lamentations that surface mounted parts are something to fear come from having the wrong tools and techniques. Lot of people do regular soldering without flux and them complain how things are so difficult but of course it is when you are missing a key ingredient of the process 🤣

Back on topic, that assembled board couple posts back does look good, at least on the top ~
As far as component size goes, technically the larger parts have lower tempcoeff which results in lower distortion and slightly lower excess noise due to more material for things to even out in but metal film parts are still much superior to carbon film ones regardless of their physical size (and these effects are all measurable aswell).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 550 of 555, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It should almost definitely be ok t0 swap LS with F, but if the design requires F specifically LS may be too slow to get the job done.

Last edited by appiah4 on 2024-04-17, 12:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 551 of 555, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jackal1983 wrote on 2024-04-16, 18:19:

...substitute LS or F series chips in the build?

Yes, you can. However, there might be timing problems if you mix F and LS series, so it is better to stick to only one type - LS or F

Reply 552 of 555, by Jackal1983

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LABS wrote on 2024-04-17, 12:34:
Jackal1983 wrote on 2024-04-16, 18:19:

...substitute LS or F series chips in the build?

Yes, you can. However, there might be timing problems if you mix F and LS series, so it is better to stick to only one type - LS or F

Thanks, just trying to save some cash, F series seems to be a bit more available than the HC or HCT series chips

Reply 553 of 555, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jackal1983 wrote on 2024-04-18, 16:56:

Thanks, just trying to save some cash, F series seems to be a bit more available than the HC or HCT series chips

Just for information, in case you are not aware of it: Do avoid HC chips for interfacing with TTL logic system (like the ISA bus). A TTL system expects a receiving chip to treat 2.1V as "high". A HC chip powered at 5V wll treat 2.1V as low. HCT is a variant of HC chips that have TTL-compatible input thresholds. HC chips will drive the output so close to the rails that sending a signal generated by an HC chip into a TTL system is not a problem, just receiving signals with HC chips is. So if you exactly know what you are doing, in some cases replacing an LS or HCT chip by an HC chip might be OK, but in general, using LS or HCT is an easier solution than trying to find out whether an HC chip might work as well in your specific circumstances.

Reply 554 of 555, by Jackal1983

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mkarcher wrote on 2024-04-18, 18:07:
Jackal1983 wrote on 2024-04-18, 16:56:

Just for information, in case you are not aware of it: Do avoid HC chips for interfacing with TTL logic system (like the ISA bus). A TTL system expects a receiving chip to treat 2.1V as "high". A HC chip powered at 5V wll treat 2.1V as low. HCT is a variant of HC chips that have TTL-compatible input thresholds. HC chips will drive the output so close to the rails that sending a signal generated by an HC chip into a TTL system is not a problem, just receiving signals with HC chips is. So if you exactly know what you are doing, in some cases replacing an LS or HCT chip by an HC chip might be OK, but in general, using LS or HCT is an easier solution than trying to find out whether an HC chip might work as well in your specific circumstances.

I was planning to buy F series chips, the should be ok from that angle.