VOGONS

Questions related to my SC-55 mk1

Topic actions

First post, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I managed to snag myself a free-floating SC-55 mk1 at a local pawn shop for $50. It didn't come with a way to get it connected, or a power supply, and that is where my questions come from.

IMG_3062.JPG

I have already opened it up for the sake of blowing dust out with a can of compressed air and replacing the battery for safety.

IMG_3070.JPG

My first question is simple; what power supply is recommended? If needed, I am willing to buy one of the ones Roland is selling, though I'd prefer to not spend almost as much as I spent on my SC-55 on a power supply.

I am planning on getting it hooked up to my general purpose XP machine for DOSBox usage, and I am wondering what would be the best way to go about doing that. I know I will need to have some extra hardware since my X-fi card does not have a MIDI interface, but I am unsure of what to actually get. I have an open PCIe port on my motherboard, and technically have a second PCI slot as well, but the latter is currently covered by my 7900GTX. I also have more than enough open USB slots if that is the best route.

Once everything is physically connected, I know I'll be able to find guides on here related to things like setting up the various DOSBox installs that I have to use it. The only thing I can anticipate being a problem is just the fact that it's a GS STADARD device instead of one of the ones marked explicitly for GM. Thanks in advance for advice.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 1 of 24, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quick answer on the psu since I am on mobile, you need a 1A 9v DC psu with center negative , pay attention to the polarity.
Then you will need a quality usb midi adapter like a Roland one for example, don't get the cheap Chinese ebay stuff.
Being a GS unit won't trouble you so don't sweat over it. Personally I prefer my MK1 units to be gs only 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 24, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the answer. I'll be going with the Roland interface, then. Are there any specific power supplies to be avoided, or are most of the ones you can find on amazon going to work?

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 4 of 24, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use Leicke power supplies. Bot sure if they deliver outside of Germany. But they are excellent value for the money.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 5 of 24, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BetaC wrote:

Thanks for the answer. I'll be going with the Roland interface, then. Are there any specific power supplies to be avoided, or are most of the ones you can find on amazon going to work?

And let me re-iterate keropi's comment.

!! CENTER NEGATIVE !! <-- This is a VERY uncommon configuration for power supplies
9 volt
1 amps (or more)

I usually get regular center positive power supplies and just replace the tip and invert the polarity.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 6 of 24, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think that back then center-negative was a common thing - at least in Japan: Roland, Sega, NEC, Nintendo all used this configuration in their devices.
One needs to double-check polarities - I usually label the PSUs in order to avoid mistakes - I've plugged the wrong polarity a couple of times 🤣 🤣 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 24, by dosgamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What's wrong with the cheap Chinese MIDI-USB adapters? I've been using one for years ...

But why hook it up to a modern machine anyway? It makes much more sense to use it on an older system with an ISA sound card and connect it to that so you can use the sound canvas with the actual games.

Coppermine Celeron 800 @ 1.12GHz (8x140) - Asus P2B Rev. 1.12 - 256MB PC133 CL2 - Voodoo5 5500 AGP - SB AWE64 CT4520 - Roland SCC-1 - Intel Pro/1000GT - 1.44MB Floppy - ATAPI ZIP 100 - 120GB IDE - DVD-ROM - DVD-R/RW/RAM - Win98SE

Reply 8 of 24, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

I think that back then center-negative was a common thing - at least in Japan: Roland, Sega, NEC, Nintendo all used this configuration in their devices.
One needs to double-check polarities - I usually label the PSUs in order to avoid mistakes - I've plugged the wrong polarity a couple of times 🤣 🤣 🤣

Yeah, I bought an SC-55 from a guy who did exactly that. The unit didn't work anymore, and even killed the stock power supply once he plugged that one back in.
Basically there seems to be some protection/zener diode right after the choke that shorts itself if power is applied backwards. This caused the unit to kill any unprotected power supply plugged into it thereafter.

I replaced the diode and all was well. 😀

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB

Reply 9 of 24, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dosgamer wrote:

What's wrong with the cheap Chinese MIDI-USB adapters? I've been using one for years ...

maybe you got a good one , there are a couple threads here about these chinese adapters and their missing components that you need to add back to make them passable

Reply 10 of 24, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For power supplies, center negative 9V with .5A or better. Make absolutely sure it's center negative unless you want something to blow up.

Look into buying a Roland UM series device if you want the best experience with MIDI. Don't worry about getting the latest model (UM-ONE), all of them work identically.
I own two of the UM series devices, a UM-1G and UM-1SX, and they've both served me really well. Right now there's one on bid starting at $5 or BIN for $20. Not a bad price but I got my 1SX for $15 so you can do better. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Edirol-UM-1X-USB-MID … le/292653478615

dosgamer wrote:

What's wrong with the cheap Chinese MIDI-USB adapters? I've been using one for years ....

Many of them can't handle SysEx commands properly. If you just use an SC-55 you probably haven't run into any games that use SysEx, but those adapters suck for games that take advantage of additional features or sound editing on synths, namely a lot of games changing sounds on the MT-32.

Last edited by SpeedySPCFan on 2018-07-24, 17:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 11 of 24, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You should be able to find a Roland UM-one for less than $20-30 used.
Why gamble with cheap parts.

That's like building a beast of a gaming PC but getting a cheap mouse and keyboard.

Reply 12 of 24, by dosgamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SpeedySPCFan wrote:
dosgamer wrote:

What's wrong with the cheap Chinese MIDI-USB adapters? I've been using one for years ....

Many of them can't handle SysEx commands properly. If you just use an SC-55 you probably haven't run into any games that use SysEx, but those adapters suck for games that take advantage of additional features or sound editing on synths, namely a lot of games changing sounds on the MT-32.

Pretty sure it does fine with SysEx, I've used it a lot with DOSBox and ScummVM and an MT-32 and a CM-32L (I use the CM-32L for the sound and the MT-32 just for the text display 😎 ). It's always worked fine.

I bought my adapter some 10 years ago though, maybe the newer ones are different.

Coppermine Celeron 800 @ 1.12GHz (8x140) - Asus P2B Rev. 1.12 - 256MB PC133 CL2 - Voodoo5 5500 AGP - SB AWE64 CT4520 - Roland SCC-1 - Intel Pro/1000GT - 1.44MB Floppy - ATAPI ZIP 100 - 120GB IDE - DVD-ROM - DVD-R/RW/RAM - Win98SE

Reply 13 of 24, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dosgamer wrote:

[...]
I bought my adapter some 10 years ago though, maybe the newer ones are different.

That could explain it. I bought several sata->ide adapters a decade ago - they all work as expected to this day in older systems and consoles. New ones you can buy for 5$ are pure garbage, I had some recent experience with a couple and an OG XBOX console 😵
My old one was fine , the new ones just didn't work.

Reply 14 of 24, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dosgamer wrote:
SpeedySPCFan wrote:
dosgamer wrote:

Pretty sure it does fine with SysEx, I've used it a lot with DOSBox and ScummVM and an MT-32 and a CM-32L (I use the CM-32L for the sound and the MT-32 just for the text display 😎 ). It's always worked fine.

Also, the OS/drivers you use with it can matter. I know the Linux USB MIDI driver is patched to fragment long SYSEX messages on those adapters so they send properly.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 15 of 24, by techweenie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finding a 9v center negative adapter is not as hard as everyone makes it sound. Most 9v adapters ARE center negative. I bought a universal adapter from walmart and it works, although it's super cheap and I don't really trust it. Any decent quality universal adapter should work so long as you can set the polarity with a switch or by reversing the tip. Just make sure it can handle at least 500mA.

Also, the Yamaha MU2000 is a USB midi interface with passthrough. It's extreme overkill, but if you're building a collection, why not? It fully supports sysex and some songs I've played even show animations!

Reply 16 of 24, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
techweenie wrote:

Also, the Yamaha MU2000 is a USB midi interface with passthrough.

How did you get it working? Assuming you're talking about MIDI thru on the MU2k. I have a 1000 and could never get the MIDI thru to work on mine.

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 18 of 24, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When MU units are running in USB Mode other ports are disabled.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 19 of 24, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's been a week or so since I posted this, so thank you guys for the responses. I ended up going with the power supply below, mostly because it explicitly mentioned being compatible with the ACB/I-120.

https://www.amazon.com/Roland-PSB-120-Power-A … /dp/B073WM6WBW/

And I ended up going with a new UM-ONE mk2 for my MIDI to USB adapter, mostly because I was able to find a good deal on it. I've got them all hooked up now, and They're working quite well. Duke Nukem 3D via DOSBox even sends the specific SoundCanvas information to it, it seems.

SC55.jpg
I am incredibly happy with this, though. I can finally say goodbye to the mimic soundfonts.

dosgamer wrote:

But why hook it up to a modern machine anyway? It makes much more sense to use it on an older system with an ISA sound card and connect it to that so you can use the sound canvas with the actual games.

I've built a general purpose XP machine because I don't really have the space or the money to get hardware that old. There's also a distinct lack of people donating and or selling older parts locally here, but that's most likely thanks to me not living in a place that's all that densely populated.

Believe me, if I could, I'd have a late DOS machine to play Dark Forces on.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png