VOGONS

First post, by mxmxmx2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I'm trying to get a Soundblaster 16 with a Vibra16S chip and an OPL3 (CT-2800, ISA non-PnP) to work properly in the ISA slot of a non-MSDOS-based system. (In fact, it's not even x86 architecture.)

Anyway, it works fine so far; I can configure interrupt, DMA channels, MPU port number, set the mixer, communicate with the DSP, read the MPU port etc. Basically everything works, except for the FM synthesis via the OPL3 chip. This chip doesn't react at all, neither on ports 0x388-0x389 nor on 0x220-0x221. I probed its chip select line (/CS) that goes from the Vibra16S to the OPL3 with an oscilloscope and I can see that /CS is never asserted by the Vibra16S when I access the IO ports for the OPL3. This of course explains why FM synthesis doesn't work.

Thus, I guess that the OPL3 synthesis needs to be activated somehow inside the Vibra16S to become usable. However, obviously I cannot simply load Creative's DOS drivers.

Hence, I have a question for you: Can anyone confirm that on cards with a Vibra16S FM synthesis won't work unless some sort of driver or initialization program is executed? If I know which program this is, I can try to disassemble it to find the proper sequence to activate the OPL3 on my card.

Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 5, by mxmxmx2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Never mind. I killed the sound card while trying to make it work properly. 😢 Well, another OPL3 chip that goes into electronic waste then.

Yet, if you know the answer to my original question, feel free to post it. Maybe someone else will find the thread in the future and will have a similar problem.

Reply 2 of 5, by Ultrax

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quick question, how did you kill it trying to make it work properly? I've got a CT2800 coming in the mail and I want to treat it (and the Presario 433 coming soon) like gold. 😜

Also, sorry for your loss.

Ultrax
__
Presario 425|DX2-50|8MB|SB V16S|D622/WFW3.11 😎
Deskpro XE 450|DX2-50|32 MB|NT4.0/95
SR2038X|Athlon 64 X2 3800|2G|GT710 WINXP
Dimension 4400|P4 NW 2 GHz|256M|R128U AGP|WINXP
HPMini311|N270|2G|9400M|WINXP
Libretto50CT|P75|16MB|YMF711|WIN95 😎

Reply 3 of 5, by mxmxmx2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First: let me preface a) that I don't know with certainty what happened and b) that you probably won't be able to reproduces this with a PC, so you're safe.

Now to the technical details: with the computer I put this card in, I can separately control the RESET line of the ISA bus. So, I thought, maybe putting the card through an additional hardware reset (via said line) will make the OPL3 work. I had my test program running that constantly sends commands to the DSP (read version etc.) and tries to access the OPL3. Then I applied long hardware reset, for several seconds. Afterwards the card was dead. So sending commands to the card while under reset activated some test mode (DSP firmware update maybe?) that killed the card or it was just coincidence. I don't know.

However, I cannot derive any handling precautions from that. As said, in a PC you typically cannot control the ISA bus RESET line separately, anyway.

Reply 4 of 5, by Ultrax

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alllright - I think just putting it into my 486 and plugging some speakers in shouldn't kill it. 🤣

I was just concerned if it was say, hot-plugging or something. But as far as I know you cannot control any line of the ISA bus (any low level things like that) in a consumer/business grade 486 machine.

Also, what computer did you put it in? Just curious as I thought only x86 machines had ISA. 😀

Ultrax
__
Presario 425|DX2-50|8MB|SB V16S|D622/WFW3.11 😎
Deskpro XE 450|DX2-50|32 MB|NT4.0/95
SR2038X|Athlon 64 X2 3800|2G|GT710 WINXP
Dimension 4400|P4 NW 2 GHz|256M|R128U AGP|WINXP
HPMini311|N270|2G|9400M|WINXP
Libretto50CT|P75|16MB|YMF711|WIN95 😎

Reply 5 of 5, by mxmxmx2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ultrax wrote:

Also, what computer did you put it in? Just curious as I thought only x86 machines had ISA. 😀

An Atari TT. There are boards to convert the VMEbus used in that machine to ISA. Some Atari clones even had native ISA slots. Works very well with graphic and network cards.