VOGONS

What sound card should I get?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 21, by Ultrax

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When I was 7 the only DOS commands I knew were win and echo. 🤣

I can definitely get snobby when people pick on the Core 2 Duo. People just love their i7's way too much to realize that the Core 2 Duo is still a usable CPU (not for gaming) today.
(Also, in my opinion, the IIGS is better than the original Macintosh by MILES! They treated the IIGS like crap. If I were alive back then I certainly would have had a IIGS over a Macintosh which was laughable in comparison.)

My friend, also born well after the DOS era, acquired a Compaq Presario 425 in May, and in June, he acquired another 425, but for parts, as it's yellowed and has a CMOS battery bomb and a password.
His main 425 has a SoundBlaster 2.0 with OPL2 - we laugh so hard at how it fails miserably to play CANYON.MID - that is, with the media player in 3.1. Cakewalk allows it do do a better job but it still doesn't have the charm of OPL3. Don't get me wrong, OPL2 is cute - in its own way. 😜

I began programming with FASM a long time ago. I made a prank dialog box exe generator, but that was it - and the program, which would've taken maybe a day or so to make in Visual Studio, took about 6 days of hair-pulling. But hey, Assembly is fun becuase you're talking directly to the CPU!

Ultrax
__
Presario 425|DX2-50|8MB|SB V16S|D622/WFW3.11 😎
Deskpro XE 450|DX2-50|32 MB|NT4.0/95
SR2038X|Athlon 64 X2 3800|2G|GT710 WINXP
Dimension 4400|P4 NW 2 GHz|256M|R128U AGP|WINXP
HPMini311|N270|2G|9400M|WINXP
Libretto50CT|P75|16MB|YMF711|WIN95 😎

Reply 21 of 21, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The great thing about ISA sound is that there's still lots of selection for inexpensive cards that are good. That makes it viable to get a few cards and try them out yourself. See which ones you like best.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder